Mopar Lift Kit vs....

Grayson

First Name
Gray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - Sting Ray
I read through the entire Suspension Lift thread and didn’t see much discussion specifically about he Mopar lift. I’ve called teraflex, 4wp, local well-known shops, and they all have differing opinions of the mopar lift. I like the lift for obvious reasons (possible resale, warranty, brand, etc), but curious to start a discussion here about thoughts overall, and compared to other lift kits in the same range. And I also gather that many members here also have same curiosity. Ready. Set. Go. Let’s chat....
Sponsored

JoeG

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
When I first received my JLU I was thinking along the same lines as you. I did a ton of research on forums and talked to the local Jeep club members and heard the good, the bad the ugly of the various brands, manufacturers and stages of different lifts.
Ultimately I went with the Rock Krawler X-Factor as it came with everything I would need to really wheel, minus shocks. Went with the Fox 2.0 all around. The warranty is the best of them all in my opinion and when I had questions I was able to call Rock Krawler directly and talk to a knowledgeable person. No back and forth emails. The adjustable upper and lower control arms enhanced the handling and on/off road handling.
Enjoy the journey with your Jeep!

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Warranty or not, I still feel like the problem with the Mopar lift is it is marketed as a 2" lift however lifts nearly 3" and many times you need more geometry correcting parts to correct it. Axles will be off and some people (like me) needed to add caster to correct driveability. Consider adding $600 on top of that to have everything square enough, if not more.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I read through the entire Suspension Lift thread and didn’t see much discussion specifically about he Mopar lift. I’ve called teraflex, 4wp, local well-known shops, and they all have differing opinions of the mopar lift. I like the lift for obvious reasons (possible resale, warranty, brand, etc), but curious to start a discussion here about thoughts overall, and compared to other lift kits in the same range. And I also gather that many members here also have same curiosity. Ready. Set. Go. Let’s chat....
I was on a Mopar lift for several months, the on road ride is great. It off roads good too but doesn’t quite have as much shock travel that the rk, mc, etc.. lifts have. The shocks only extend 26-1/2 inches. It was for this reason mainly that I’m now on rk X factor 3.5” lift.

A couple of things to keep in mind if you go with the Mopar. Pay attention to how much lift you get, I got 3.5”, if this happens you’ll need to purchase additional parts to make it ride sweet. Adjustable front/rear track bars, and adjustable front lower control arms. For centering your axles and adjusting your caster. My friends sport s axles were shifted almost an inch.

I would also recommend purchasing rk spring isolators, even though the newer kits claim to have better isolators, they still look the same to me just darker color.

So I’d say it depends on what you’re gonna be doing with your rig. If mostly on road with light wheeling, Mopar plus extra parts does ride pretty sweet. If you’re gonna be wheeling more often and more extremely than I’d suggest the rock krawler or metal cloak lifts.

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The warranty argument is silly. What are you going to break on your lift? What is going to break that is caused by the lift? There are much better options available for equal or even less money. Look at Rock Krawler, EVO, Metal Cloak, or Terra Flex. All of these companies offer far superior kits to the Mopar.

Sponsored

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have had the Mopar lift on my four-door Rubicon JL for nearly a year. Great ride on the road and works great off road. Dealer installed with a lifetime warranty, no extra parts needed on mine! I think the price out the door was around $1700. I can compare it to a 2 1/2 inch TeraFlex that I had on a 2012 JK and a TeraFlex one and a half inch spacer lift that I had on another JK, The Mopar is much better than either one of those two.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have had the Mopar lift on my four-door Rubicon JL for nearly a year. Great ride on the road and works great off road. Dealer installed with a lifetime warranty, no extra parts needed on mine! I think the price out the door was around $1700.
Did you see the alignment specs? How do you know no extra parts are needed?

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
Having talked to a number of people, read a lot of information, and watched a fair number of videos regarding the popular lift kits out there I came to the conclusion that the Mopar just isn't worth the price when looking at a Rock Krawler kit in the $1800-2000 range.

A lot of people have had good experiences with it, but I'm going with a more complete RK kit myself.

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1991 Toyota Pickup
This sure is a can of worms haha. I'll keep it simple.(maybe) I don't plan on going to a level 10 offroad trail. I do however, plan on hitting trails that require bigger tires and lift. Yes the warranty was a good part, having it done when I picked it up was good. But ultimately I wasn't going to need one more inch of drop etc. The majority of what I read people were happy with their Mopar lift and IF they needed a few extra parts they did so accordingly and still acheived that great ride. Realistically, there really isn't but maybe about 3% of people who gain a true advantage with a "higher quality" lift.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Don't be fooled by the dealership. There is no advantage of the Mopar kit vs aftermarket. And honestly unless you get it at a steal then it has some serious disadvantages.
Resale: it won't matter one bit to anyone what brand you have if it doesn't drive right, and that is one of the major issues with the Mopar kit.
Warranty: while not every competitor has a warranty for their kit, any aftermarket company I've worked with is easier to work with than the dealership. Most companies stand behind their products, as word of mouth is their most powerful sales tool. And if you were talking about warranty for the rest of the Jeep, it is effective just like it is with the Mopar kit. They can't blame the lift and not honor your warranty without proving that the lift caused the failure.
Brand: this one is entirely subjective to your point of view. There are many members of this forum, myself included, who prefer a reputable aftermarket manufacturer over the Mopar brand. I can name a half dozen or so that I would purchase before the Mopar kit. Rock crawler, Metal Cloak, Synergy, JKS, Old Man Emu.... All have their strengths and weaknesses, but at least those companies didn't claim that springs bowing and rubbing on the bump stops was an engineered design.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Some people get really opinionated on this. Everyone does their research on a lift and then typically will stand behind their decision, which is mostly subjective. I've had the Mopar 2" for a while. I love mine. I've had other lifts on prior vehicles. I've had less "issues" with this mopar lift. I like that mine measures more than 2". Allowed me to fit 37" tires on stock rubi wheels which zero issues. Rides almost identical to my stock '17 JK that I got rid of. So far, plenty of travel and capability off road. I also am pleased with the warranty coverage. Not everyone lives in an area with dealers that are super accommodating to modified Jeep. I've had issues in the past with suspension items that were not part of the lift but the dealer wouldn't take care of because the vehicle had been lifted. I never have to worry about it when I pull in the dealer for service or warranty now. I love it. To each their own.

OP
OP
Grayson

Grayson

First Name
Gray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - Sting Ray
The warranty argument is silly. What are you going to break on your lift? What is going to break that is caused by the lift? There are much better options available for equal or even less money. Look at Rock Krawler, EVO, Metal Cloak, or Terra Flex. All of these companies offer far superior kits to the Mopar.
I agree this brands in my research are better. The warranty for stress components as a result of off-geometry is my concern. I’m not looking to fuck up my new Jeep lol
Warranty or not, I still feel like the problem with the Mopar lift is it is marketed as a 2" lift however lifts nearly 3" and many times you need more geometry correcting parts to correct it. Axles will be off and some people (like me) needed to add caster to correct driveability. Consider adding $600 on top of that to have everything square enough, if not more.
This is exactly what makes me more confused with the more research and questions I try to get answered. I want to get a lift that allows for capabilities for off-roading a wide array of terrain, but I don’t know enough to correct what’s not ideally engineered (with mopar). My logic is if they designed something as an engineer who am I to question. But that’s where I’m lost. If I get mopar lift that is designed to be ready out of the box, but I hear I need additional components to correct its inadequacies which is demotivating. Perhaps I go with a super reputable brand and fork up more money lol

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This sure is a can of worms haha. I'll keep it simple.(maybe) I don't plan on going to a level 10 offroad trail. I do however, plan on hitting trails that require bigger tires and lift. Yes the warranty was a good part, having it done when I picked it up was good. But ultimately I wasn't going to need one more inch of drop etc. The majority of what I read people were happy with their Mopar lift and IF they needed a few extra parts they did so accordingly and still acheived that great ride. Realistically, there really isn't but maybe about 3% of people who gain a true advantage with a "higher quality" lift.
Completely disagree. Better ride, less money, higher quality parts can all be had elsewhere. Are your axles centered? If they were before the lift, they aren't now. Is your caster dialed in? No way to adjust that. Pinion angle? I think you get the idea. Again, explain to me how the warranty is a good thing?

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
It seems Mopar and RK get mentioned often. Personally I have had RK kits on 3 JKs. My experience is that they were stiff, became noisy quickly, and rusted almost instantly in Illinois. They do have solid customer service however. Maybe these issues have been corrected for the JL.

I have run multiple other brands as well. I am currently running a modified version of the Mopar kit. I added an adjustable track bar, geometry correction brackets, and RK front spring perches. It rides well and very comfortable.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I agree this brands in my research are better. The warranty for stress components as a result of off-geometry is my concern. I’m not looking to fuck up my new Jeep lol

This is exactly what makes me more confused with the more research and questions I try to get answered. I want to get a lift that allows for capabilities for off-roading a wide array of terrain, but I don’t know enough to correct what’s not ideally engineered (with mopar). My logic is if they designed something as an engineer who am I to question. But that’s where I’m lost. If I get mopar lift that is designed to be ready out of the box, but I hear I need additional components to correct its inadequacies which is demotivating. Perhaps I go with a super reputable brand and fork up more money lol
This is why you buy a kit that allows you to make adjustments and dial in the geometry perfectly. The Mopar kit is not ready out of the box. It doesn't have new track bars, which means your axles aren't going to be centered. It doesn't come with adjustable control arms, which means you won't be able to dial in your caster in the front and pinion angle in the rear. The springs suck. Literally the only good part in the kit are the shocks and they are even limited in travel. If your going to spend the money, spend it on a company that specializes in Jeep lifts. You'll thank me later.
Sponsored