Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, curious myself, OP, measure like in pics… from coil housing out to a lug on the tire……this pic is from a Mopar lift back in 2019, they were giving over 3” of lift back then……

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod B4D5DFF8-2605-4DC3-838B-A9E0E450E34B
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod A8C8BF18-91AC-48E6-81E7-7D3D8DAA18D9
Sponsored

OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel
Ok , I read through the thread…. Do you have an angle finder, preferably like the one in the pic…….if so put it on the flat circled in pic, I’d like to see what the caster/pinion angle is showing……..just like the stock track bar pulls the axle to the drivers side when lifted, the fixed lcas pull back on the axle as well. You see mine says just about 90 degrees, that’s 6 degrees of caster, which is where you want to be at 2-3” of lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod A8C8BF18-91AC-48E6-81E7-7D3D8DAA18D9
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221209_140926689

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221209_140952062

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221209_142552313

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221209_142607336

OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel
Yeah, curious myself, OP, measure like in pics… from coil housing out to a lug on the tire……this pic is from a Mopar lift back in 2019, they were giving over 3” of lift back then……

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar lift bowed springs - One coil rubs on tie rod PXL_20221209_142607336
Right now the coil housing are below the top of my tire, so I can't get a straight shot to the outside of my tire... but it's about 18" on both sides. I can take the wheels off and get a more accurate measurement from the housing to the end of a lug. Or I can jack up the front and measure from the housing straight across the top of the tires to the outside edge.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
We had this same exact issue on my brother's JLUR D found it to be the AEVs do not work with it. Replaced the LCAs with stock and same bow not as bad. Removed the entire lift and bought the EVO 2.5 which gained 3.25 and added metalcloaks CCCs now they are straight as an arrow.

What would be a good replacement front coil kit? I am running 37s. If there is anything in stock at Summit Racing in Arlington I could get them in the morning and be done with this ordeal. thanks for your help!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Right now the coil housing are below the top of my tire, so I can't get a straight shot to the outside of my tire... but it's about 18" on both sides. I can take the wheels off and get a more accurate measurement from the housing to the end of a lug. Or I can jack up the front and measure from the housing straight across the top of the tires to the outside edge.
Nah, needs to be sitting at ride height, measure coil housing to inside of tire maybe….

Sponsored

OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel
OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel
Great, we can put that to bed now…..🤣 moving on……..caster looks like 4.8-5 ish so not the issue either……
If anyone wants to buy a set of front and rear RK coils and pads for a JLUR diesel 2.5" I will make them a great deal!

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It must be the combination of RK pads and/or RK springs then!

To me when coils are designed for a lower weight application and installed on a vehicle which exceeds their weighted capacity, you would see bowing like this.

@rubiconman can you contact RockKrawler and see what they say? I am sure they will make it right if the issue is with their kit. I don't think they would have released these products without proper R&D.

OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel

To me when coils are designed for a lower weight application and installed on a vehicle which exceeds their weighted capacity, you would see bowing like this.

@rubiconman can you contact RockKrawler and see what they say? I am sure they will make it right if the issue is with their kit. I don't think they would have released these products without proper R&D.
Yes, I need to do that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rubiconman

rubiconman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel

I did reach out to RK and they are very much aware of the issue, Bob admitted that right off the bat. He listened to me tell my whole saga, then says "let me email you a video, it will fix all your problems." He went on to blame Jeep for continuing to change the UPPER coil isolater. I asked for a refund and things went south. I told them that I sympathized, but that their coil and isolator kit does not fit my vehicle as advertised and this is what I got (see below).

RK RESPONSE:
"You have one option at this time. That is to perform the procedure as outlined. We are not sharing this information publicly because companies need to figure it out on their own. You could have gotten products from a company that has not figured it out which is the majority of them. While the other manufacturers struggle greatly with this issue and keeping up with Jeeps on going changes, we are way ahead of the curve. When we found out about this simple change made by Jeep that effects so much for every manufacturer we actually designed and are tooling up a new top spring seat. That does take a considerable amount of time 24-26 weeks just for the initial mold samples and obviously a good amount of capital. Then we bring in the production parts. This will be a part just like our bottom spring seats we can sell customers and other manufacturers or they can copy (which has happened to us many times) and go from there."

8 MINUTES LATER

"Do you think Jeep alerts every aftermarket company to their changes? Do you think even the brand managers know when this change occurred or on what models? Do you think the brand managers know when their purchasing department is buying from one supplier of theirs and not the other and which ones go down the line? They do not. Trust me, I asked all of them and could not get a solid answer. I am really good friends with the brand managers and their development team when we found this update. Their is no reason to tell everyone as it does not pertain to everyone. As a matter of fact, it has not come up all that often to my Suprise so we may have spent a large amount on a new tool for a new part we need very few of. But, this part will make them universally correct. So it is what it is. We see a fair amount of posts on boards regarding other manufactuers coils doing the same thing and then we politely message them and share with them the corrective action and they are thank ful for us jumping in and helping out."

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
It sound like BOTH jeep and RK are trying to correct the issue but that doesn't help.. I don't really think spring bow is 'that' big of a deal

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I did reach out to RK and they are very much aware of the issue, Bob admitted that right off the bat. He listened to me tell my whole saga, then says "let me email you a video, it will fix all your problems." He went on to blame Jeep for continuing to change the UPPER coil isolater. I asked for a refund and things went south. I told them that I sympathized, but that their coil and isolator kit does not fit my vehicle as advertised and this is what I got (see below).

RK RESPONSE:
"You have one option at this time. That is to perform the procedure as outlined. We are not sharing this information publicly because companies need to figure it out on their own. You could have gotten products from a company that has not figured it out which is the majority of them. While the other manufacturers struggle greatly with this issue and keeping up with Jeeps on going changes, we are way ahead of the curve. When we found out about this simple change made by Jeep that effects so much for every manufacturer we actually designed and are tooling up a new top spring seat. That does take a considerable amount of time 24-26 weeks just for the initial mold samples and obviously a good amount of capital. Then we bring in the production parts. This will be a part just like our bottom spring seats we can sell customers and other manufacturers or they can copy (which has happened to us many times) and go from there."

8 MINUTES LATER

"Do you think Jeep alerts every aftermarket company to their changes? Do you think even the brand managers know when this change occurred or on what models? Do you think the brand managers know when their purchasing department is buying from one supplier of theirs and not the other and which ones go down the line? They do not. Trust me, I asked all of them and could not get a solid answer. I am really good friends with the brand managers and their development team when we found this update. Their is no reason to tell everyone as it does not pertain to everyone. As a matter of fact, it has not come up all that often to my Suprise so we may have spent a large amount on a new tool for a new part we need very few of. But, this part will make them universally correct. So it is what it is. We see a fair amount of posts on boards regarding other manufactuers coils doing the same thing and then we politely message them and share with them the corrective action and they are thank ful for us jumping in and helping out."
That's a pretty poor response. Sucks for RK if Jeep changes things on them, but the bottom line is that RK sells the kit and advertises it to fit, and if it doesn't fit, that's always between RK and their own customer. RK should refund you if that's what you want.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Seems just putting on everything in the Mopar kit and nothing else was what was needed then ? Possibly an adjustable track bar to to recenter the axle but not involved in this issue?
I remember the early kits had big bow issues but Mopar fixed those a couple years back and as far as those AEV correction brackets went - sounds like a fix to a problem that didn't exist so it created one ?
Well, at least you helped the rest of us not add these items to the Mopar kit - Thank you for that 😀
Sponsored