Sponsored

Mopar Lift - bad ride quality after a certain point??

jl901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Hello everyone! First ever post.. I have a 2018 JL Sport S with the Mopar 2" lift on 35's. I have about 62,000 miles on it right now and haven't done anything crazy while I've had it off road-wise. Recently, I've noticed that the ride quality has gotten pretty rough. Going over rough roads feels awful with a lot of chatter from the tires and suspension. Speed bumps cause tons of body roll and I've noticed when I hit potholes sometimes, with the rear wheels especially, it almost wants to fishtail... Also just driving around there is noticeable body roll even when driving at low speeds. Could the shocks be going out or at least losing their dampening? I haven't had them serviced but I read where the Fox shocks can be rebuilt. I know Wranglers aren't the most plush of a ride but lately it just seems to be extra rough! A friend of mine has a 2018 with a similar lift but Falcon shocks but their Wrangler rides much smoother and bumps don't feel like the jeep is gonna fall apart... Anybody have the same issues???
Sponsored

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Your Fox shocks probably need to be rebuilt. 60K miles is fair amount. Fox are not know for their longevity. Or get a different shock depending on how much it is for the rebuild.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to consider is the LOAD RANGE of the tires you have on your Jeep.

Are they LOAD RANGE “E”? If so, they are constructed to take the abuse of off roading and also they weigh more than other tires.

On my CJ, TJ, JK and JL’s I have run LOAD RANGE “C” type tires. They ride better, and are capable tires. I do not do rock crawling, so there is no real need for and “E” tire for me. Fire road, Seasonal Use roads and old railroad beds are my trails of choice.

Just a thought for you From a ride perspective.

But, Shocks do not last forever, and if you can find someone that can rebuild the Fox shocks it may be time. If they are really good at it, they may be able to fine tune them a little to improve the ride quality to your needs also.

OP
OP
jl901

jl901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Another thing to consider is the LOAD RANGE of the tires you have on your Jeep.

Are they LOAD RANGE “E”? If so, they are constructed to take the abuse of off roading and also they weigh more than other tires.

On my CJ, TJ, JK and JL’s I have run LOAD RANGE “C” type tires. They ride better, and are capable tires. I do not do rock crawling, so there is no real need for and “E” tire for me. Fire road, Seasonal Use roads and old railroad beds are my trails of choice.

Just a thought for you From a ride perspective.

But, Shocks do not last forever, and if you can find someone that can rebuild the Fox shocks it may be time. If they are really good at it, they may be able to fine tune them a little to improve the ride quality to your needs also.

Great point! I never thought about the load range too. My current tires are General Grabber ATX's 35x12.5 R17. Love the tire! I will definitely look at some LOAD C type tires too for when I replace.

Black Rubi JL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a 2018 JL Rubicon with 35's and the 2" Mopar lift, I just replaced the Fox shocks and stabilizer after 50K miles on them. I notice a huge difference in my daily drive quality especially body roll. But like your friend, I also replace the Fox with Falcon.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

60k is alot of miles on shocks. Look at getting them rebuilt or if you want more adjustability then you can upgrade to something like a falcon st3.3. I have about 10k miles on mine and love them. On and off road manners are amazing. lol I know they can be pricey but well Worth it in my book

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Shocks are likely worn out, but at 62k I'd bet the ball joints are in need of replacement too. What psi do you typically run? I'd lower the tires to 30 psi as that helps. The fox non-reservoir shocks typically cost as much to rebuild as simply replacing them unfortunately. I'd do shocks and ball joints and see where your at.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm a fan of the Fox shocks, but definitely not the price. I got a solid 70k out of mine and decided to replace them with the same ones. Got a fair deal on the rears and miraculously found a pair of brand new fronts on eBay for $150.

Enlowscott

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Check the condition of the rubber bushings on your control arms and track bars. I have found them to be more responsible for "fishtailing" over bumps than worn shocks.

kaptkaos

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Check all your bushings and the torque settings on all track bars, LCAs.
Sponsored