Sponsored

MOPAR LED FACTORY UPGRADE KIT

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
  • Sorry in advance for the long post!
  • So, my saga of changing from OEM halogen to OEM LED headlights was blissfully short, unlike this post. I spent a few hours looking at prices for the lights online and called half a dozen dealers in the Northern VA area. Most were clueless, and some were downright incompetent or worse. One dealer quoted me $1,800 because of having to run the extra wire. When I advised them that my Jeep already had the four wire connector, they couldnā€™t have cared less.
  • I found the prices at dealers, and places online that have the Mopar kit 82215136AE in stock, are all around $900-975. The common thread was that almost no one had the LED kit in stock.
  • In the Northen VA area, only Fair Oaks Jeep - in Chantilly, and Safford Jeep - in Fredericksburg, knew what they were talking about. Moreover, Fair Oaks was helpful and able to tell me that Safford (an hour away) had the part in stock and when I called them they not only answered their phone (more uncommon than you would think) but were able to schedule me the same day. Kudos to Fair Oaks and Safford Jeep!
  • I literally had the lights installed and was home in 3 hours round trip, including an hours drive on each end. Better yet, they charged me $1,099 out the door! Itā€™s sad that Iā€™m happy to get these LEDs installed for just over a grand.
  • In summary, the LEDs are so much better than the halogens, Jeep should just make them standard and up-charge for them. I doubt we would even notice the increase.
  • If your Jeep is a 2020, check the back of the wiring harness of your lights, if you have four wires it should be plug and play with the Mopar 82215136AE kit, then the dealer just does an update to the computer. Less than an hours worth of work, so donā€™t let them screw you.
  • Shop around until you find a dealer that works for the customer. I couldnā€™t believe how bad some in my area are! On the plus side, now I know who to go to for service.
Wish it were that simple for the kit on the 2019. But it literally isn't. Flashing the ECU doesn't matter, the Mopar flash doesn't work. Neither does the tazer, at least on mine.

Glad you had it easy tho! I got mine all done for around $650 CDN, but I got the lights from someone selling them online used.
Sponsored

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
I don't believe that there is no sales code to fix this, as there is one. My dealer found it, but will not apply it because FCA will not support it. Also, if third party devices can make this work, then it discredits that there are any physical wiring issues that prevent this from working. I have existence proof that mine is working, and the Tazer made it work.

I find it ironic that a third party device can make this work. Jeep seems to be able to make this work on a factory install. When you dealer installs a Mopar LED fender kit, that the Mopar catalog boasts that everything in it is the same as factory parts and will work.... Jeep/FCA refuses to make it work.

This is simply a case that Jeep/FCA will not give Mopar the codes to enable the LED indicator lights to work. Jeep/FCA will not support a kit using factory parts that is sold and advertised to work by Mopar. When a dealer installs this kit, it renders the vehicle as not road worthy. The indicators fail.

This whole situation makes ZERO sense...

Jeep has no remedy for this. The dealership will not escalate it, as I have fixed it with the Tazer.

I still bring this issue up with every service.

I paid for this to work. Jeep has yet to offer me any resolution to this. Not even a suggestion to put the old stuff back on.
Ok, I have the 2018 JL Sahara. I upgrade to the paintable hightop fender flares with LED. Dealer installed and flashed. Hyper flash. Installed the Tazer LJ Mini. Problem fixed. Upgraded to the Mopar steel front bumper with Mopar LED fog lamps, Mopar LED tail lamps, and finally Mopar LED head lamps. Dealer installed. Flashed. Inside cluster shows front turn signals out. Ref lashed with all codes. Same issue. Installed the Tazer JL mini again. Menu all LED. Cleared the codes. Rebooted. Took a drive. Happiness turned to a frown. Same issue. The cluster states front turn signals are out but the lights flash normal. What did I do incorrectly?

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
One more observation / question. My halos and fender DRL come on. The halos seem less bright than the fender DRL. Also looks like the dealer ran a wire across the top of the radiator. Where the hood and grill meets. It just doesnā€™t look right to me.

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Ok, I have the 2018 JL Sahara. I upgrade to the paintable hightop fender flares with LED. Dealer installed and flashed. Hyper flash. Installed the Tazer LJ Mini. Problem fixed. Upgraded to the Mopar steel front bumper with Mopar LED fog lamps, Mopar LED tail lamps, and finally Mopar LED head lamps. Dealer installed. Flashed. Inside cluster shows front turn signals out. Ref lashed with all codes. Same issue. Installed the Tazer JL mini again. Menu all LED. Cleared the codes. Rebooted. Took a drive. Happiness turned to a frown. Same issue. The cluster states front turn signals are out but the lights flash normal. What did I do incorrectly?
You didnt' do anything incorrectly. I did the exact same thing. Tazer / Dealer works for everything but the OEM LED's it seems, even though the Tazer advertises that it does.

My solution was to rig the wire to run off the drivers side one instead. It's working for now.

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
One more observation / question. My halos and fender DRL come on. The halos seem less bright than the fender DRL. Also looks like the dealer ran a wire across the top of the radiator. Where the hood and grill meets. It just doesnā€™t look right to me.
It sounds like they were just lazy. I installed mine myself and made sure I routed it under and along the OEM harness. You can't tell it's there except in two places.

Jeep Wrangler JL MOPAR LED FACTORY UPGRADE KIT 1597765699177

Jeep Wrangler JL MOPAR LED FACTORY UPGRADE KIT 1597765714469

Sponsored

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
It sounds like they were just lazy. I installed mine myself and made sure I routed it under and along the OEM harness. You can't tell it's there except in two places.

I may take it back and see if they will redo it. The dealer fired the Service Manager who was easy to talk to. He understood what quality was. He always made things right. The service manager now is the one prior to him. A real shit bag.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
You didnt' do anything incorrectly. I did the exact same thing. Tazer / Dealer works for everything but the OEM LED's it seems, even though the Tazer advertises that it does.

My solution was to rig the wire to run off the drivers side one instead. It's working for now.
All the lights work on the outside. It is just the dash that says the fender are out. Just weird. The inside flasher (Left/right) blinks fast as if a light is out but when you walk around the Jeep everything outside flashā€™s fine.

MyLilPonyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2012 McLaren 12C
  • Sorry in advance for the long post!
  • So, my saga of changing from OEM halogen to OEM LED headlights was blissfully short, unlike this post. I spent a few hours looking at prices for the lights online and called half a dozen dealers in the Northern VA area. Most were clueless, and some were downright incompetent or worse. One dealer quoted me $1,800 because of having to run the extra wire. When I advised them that my Jeep already had the four wire connector, they couldnā€™t have cared less.
  • I found the prices at dealers, and places online that have the Mopar kit 82215136AE in stock, are all around $900-975. The common thread was that almost no one had the LED kit in stock.
  • In the Northen VA area, only Fair Oaks Jeep - in Chantilly, and Safford Jeep - in Fredericksburg, knew what they were talking about. Moreover, Fair Oaks was helpful and able to tell me that Safford (an hour away) had the part in stock and when I called them they not only answered their phone (more uncommon than you would think) but were able to schedule me the same day. Kudos to Fair Oaks and Safford Jeep!
  • I literally had the lights installed and was home in 3 hours round trip, including an hours drive on each end. Better yet, they charged me $1,099 out the door! Itā€™s sad that Iā€™m happy to get these LEDs installed for just over a grand.
  • In summary, the LEDs are so much better than the halogens, Jeep should just make them standard and up-charge for them. I doubt we would even notice the increase.
  • If your Jeep is a 2020, check the back of the wiring harness of your lights, if you have four wires it should be plug and play with the Mopar 82215136AE kit, then the dealer just does an update to the computer. Less than an hours worth of work, so donā€™t let them screw you.
  • Shop around until you find a dealer that works for the customer. I couldnā€™t believe how bad some in my area are! On the plus side, now I know who to go to for service.
Not a bad deal at all. I sourced my lights through Facebook Marketplace and good old Craigslist. I was able to find the LED DRLs for about $250 shipped, and the LED OEM headlights for about $350 locally. So that's about $600 for all four used lights. I then spent $200 plus on the Tazer JL Mini to program them, and another $60 for the extra wire (mine is a 2018 JL). So that's about what you paid, and I did the work myself over a couple of days to add the wire, add the fender LED DRLs, and the LED headlights.

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Not a bad deal at all. I sourced my lights through Facebook Marketplace and good old Craigslist. I was able to find the LED DRLs for about $250 shipped, and the LED OEM headlights for about $350 locally. So that's about $600 for all four used lights. I then spent $200 plus on the Tazer JL Mini to program them, and another $60 for the extra wire (mine is a 2018 JL). So that's about what you paid, and I did the work myself over a couple of days to add the wire, add the fender LED DRLs, and the LED headlights.
How did you spend $200 on the tazer when it's 300+?

Tolb86

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport
I can confirm my 2020 Jlu sport S came pre wired for halos ! I was happy until I realized the headlights I got have a angry eye mod and look dumb as hell lol about to
Open them up and tilt them back

Awesome so I have a 2020 JLU sport and it looks like I also have the proper wiring for halos on mine as well.

A23B583C-DED1-458E-BB11-F49D8E5CF964.jpeg

Sponsored

FWA05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on my Rubicon
my 2020 is at the dealership now, hopefully they will knock it out fast!

Deleted member 52323

If there already is a wired pin in that location (cavity 5 at the headlight) you donā€™t need the halo harness; otherwise you'd see a white plastic pin there.. And at the BCM end, I suspect you'll find connector C1 already has wired pins occupying cavities 5 & 7.

Thereā€™s a fair amount of misinformation/confusion out there but after a lot of searching it appears that any JL optioned with LED tail lights was built with a full LED wiring harness.. (which includes conductors for the halos and different circuitry between the BCM & DRLs..

Lucky you! That means not only is the halo harness unnecessary but also front OEM LED turns/DRLs are plug and play (a dealer flash may be necessary but you won't need a Tazer)

If you check the Electronics, Electrical, Uconnect, Nav, A/V, CB, Cameras tech forum thereā€™s a sticky thread with a link to download complete wiring diagrams..

Good Luck!!
Appreciate the detailed information and where to locate the wiring diagrams. I finally got my BCM flashed at a dealership the other day. You were right, I didn't need the halo harness.

But the silliest thing happened after they flashed it. I drove away and immediately had an error message that my right turn signal was out. Then another error message that my left turn signal was out. I returned to the dealership and talked with the Mopar representative and he told me that this was the first time his guys had even flashed the BCM. So glad I could be their first test, yikes! He called Mopar to see if anyone else had run into this issue and had a solution. With all the Rubicons out there, someone has had to do this before me. Something else I learned, Mopar doesn't make LED turn signals. I get there are bigger problems in the world, but why would you make LED headlights, which I bought, and not LED turn signals to then buy with it? So goofy!

My only guess is because my turn signals are not LEDs it's causing an error because its looking for LED lights but they have the regular factory lights. So I am going to purchase LED turn signals to see if that solves the problem. If I had known it was going to be such an ordeal to install Mopar LED lights, I would have kept my factory lights and just appreciated that my taillights were LED.

humrk311

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited / 1999 BMW R1100S / 1998 BMW M3
Appreciate the detailed information and where to locate the wiring diagrams. I finally got my BCM flashed at a dealership the other day. You were right, I didn't need the halo harness.

But the silliest thing happened after they flashed it. I drove away and immediately had an error message that my right turn signal was out. Then another error message that my left turn signal was out. I returned to the dealership and talked with the Mopar representative and he told me that this was the first time his guys had even flashed the BCM. So glad I could be their first test, yikes! He called Mopar to see if anyone else had run into this issue and had a solution. With all the Rubicons out there, someone has had to do this before me. Something else I learned, Mopar doesn't make LED turn signals. I get there are bigger problems in the world, but why would you make LED headlights, which I bought, and not LED turn signals to then buy with it? So goofy!

My only guess is because my turn signals are not LEDs it's causing an error because its looking for LED lights but they have the regular factory lights. So I am going to purchase LED turn signals to see if that solves the problem. If I had known it was going to be such an ordeal to install Mopar LED lights, I would have kept my factory lights and just appreciated that my taillights were LED.
Iā€™d bet your guess about the non-LED turns being the issue is absolutely correct. Not sure who is telling you MOPAR doesnā€™t make LED turns though.. they definitely do make them, I purchased them from MOPAR.. The part numbers I purchased are; 55112884AF and 5511885AF..

Deleted member 52323

55112884AF
Sweet, thanks much! Just placed my order. :) I plan to install myself. Was the installation straight forward or anything I should know that you didn't know before installing them?

When I looked up that part number on the Mopar website, it doesn't specify "LED" so my only guess is that's the reason the dealership Mopar rep said they didn't have them. BUT, on the Quadratec website, it lists that same Mopar part number as "LED Parking Lamp." haha
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/led-parking-lamp-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt/driver-side

humrk311

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited / 1999 BMW R1100S / 1998 BMW M3
Sweet, thanks much! Just placed my order. :) I plan to install myself. Was the installation straight forward or anything I should know that you didn't know before installing them?

When I looked up that part number on the Mopar website, it doesn't specify "LED" so my only guess is that's the reason the dealership Mopar rep said they didn't have them. BUT, on the Quadratec website, it lists that same Mopar part number as "LED Parking Lamp." haha
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/led-parking-lamp-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt/driver-side
Installation is a bit tedious but fairly straightforward.. you'll want to purchase some new fender
clips
Jeep Wrangler JL MOPAR LED FACTORY UPGRADE KIT jl-wrangler-wheel-flare-clip-36

(PN 68395634AA / $2.25 each at the dealer or $0.67 each online) as you'll likely break a few on each side taking the fenders off. (taking the fenders off??) Yup, way easier than trying to do the switch-out with the fenders on..

This video is a good overview of the process

The fender harness unplugs from the body harness near the top of the rear of the wheel opening.. once you have the fender off you should only need to remove the first (front) rivet on the fender lip and the clip (looks like a Phillips screw but isn't) in the center of the signal housing cover to gain sufficient access to remove/replace the signal housing..

These photos are of opposite side fenders..
Jeep Wrangler JL MOPAR LED FACTORY UPGRADE KIT IMG-4574 clip notes

Jeep Wrangler JL MOPAR LED FACTORY UPGRADE KIT IMG-4572 open cover notes

You may have received two new rivets with your headlight kit, if not you can buy them but you'll also need a rivet gun to install them.. since the gun is around $25 to $30 I had my dealer install the rivets when I went back for my BCM reflash..

Don't do this! I placed my fenders top-down on carpet to (I thought) protect the paint.. didn't occur to me that messing around inside the fender liner would dislodge some grit; it did, that grit went onto the carpet and eventually under the fender..

Fender reinstallation is easy.. (don't forget to connect the fender harness to the body harness) just line up the clips in their respective holes and using your hand, pound around the fender to set each clip. If you break a clip, best to pull the fender off, replace the broken clip and then reinstall..

Good luck! Hope this helps!
Sponsored