Sponsored

MOPAR LED FACTORY UPGRADE KIT

Alasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
update on my DRL's. Took it to the dealer to recode, they said the BCM was bad and installed a new one. They did NOT add the sales code, regardless they are functioning. The dash is giving an error light, although the lights function perfectly and have been for about a week.
It happened to me
They added like like three sale codes and my drl worked just fine but I was still getting the light bulb out in the dash and I ended up buying the tazer and that worked
No more hyper flash or error codes In the dash
Sponsored

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
It happened to me
They added like like three sale codes and my drl worked just fine but I was still getting the light bulb out in the dash and I ended up buying the tazer and that worked
No more hyper flash or error codes In the dash
Well that is depressing. I should not have to use my Tazer to fix this. I have the ‘18 Sahara. I have already upgraded the front turn lamps, fog lamps, and tail lamps. I am currently installing the front head lamps. I am waiting for the dealer to flash the BCM tomorrow. I hope it works. If not I will put the Tazer back on. Really disappointed in Mopar. I do not understand why something from the factory can work but upgrading the current system to LED should be plug and play and a flash.

Last edited:

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
Updated #456. Just got back from the dealership. There are two codes. LPX & LPY.

LPX is for the LED head lamps.

LPY is for the halos.

All halogen lights have been upgraded to LED with all Mopar parts. So far no flicker. Will update after this weekend. Then to figure out what to do with the third brake light. LED options / suggestions?

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
Update #457. MOPAR SUCKS!!! @JeepCares

All Mopar LED kits installed, dealer flashed BCM. After a few turns, Left front turn light came on in the dash. The turn arrow flashes fast.

Why. Why. Why.

It works from the factory. All Mopar parts. All codes in. Will @JeepCares post all the LED lighting codes. That way I can confirm with the dealership if all the codes are in my vin.

Negativezero4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara

All Mopar LED kits installed, dealer flashed BCM. After a few turns, Left front turn light came on in the dash. The turn arrow flashes fast.

Why. Why. Why.

It works from the factory. All Mopar parts. All codes in. Will @JeepCares post all the LED lighting codes. That way I can confirm with the dealership if all the codes are in my vin.
There is no dealer code for the turn signals. You need a tazer to fix that issue unfortunately

Sponsored

humrk311

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited / 1999 BMW R1100S / 1998 BMW M3

Why. Why. Why.

I feel your pain... had the exact same perspective and frustration and spent many hours harassing (in a friendly way) other forum members, my dealership, Jeep Cares, and Jeep Management contacted thru Linked-In..

The bottom line is the wiring harness and circuitry on vehicles optioned with the Premium Package LED are different than those on non-LED vehicles...

There is no sales code to fix the issue.. there just isn’t..

It may seem nonsensical to you and me but it is what it is.. (probably a cost savings measure which makes no sense to an individual consumer but total sense to a manufacturer looking at the resulting savings across 100,000 or more units)

The good news is the issue can be cured with a Tazer..

Last edited:

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
I feel your pain... had the exact same perspective and frustration and spent many hours harassing (in a friendly way) other forum members, my dealership, Jeep Cares, and Jeep Management contacted thru Linked-In..

The bottom line is the wiring harness and circuitry on vehicles optioned with the Premium Package LED are different than those on non-LED vehicles...

It may seem nonsensical to you and me but it is what it is.. (probably a cost savings measure which makes no sense to an individual consumer but total sense to a manufacturer looking at the resulting savings across 100,000 or more units)

I have one, but disappointed. The cost savings cannot be that much. They are simply cheap. The profit margin on a new vehicle is huge. FCA actually made more money with us upgrading after the fact. All they had to do is account for us upgrading after purchasing. I’ve added the following: all LED front, tail, turn, and fog. AUX switches, and trailer tow package so far. Will eventually try adding the proximity locks.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I don't believe that there is no sales code to fix this, as there is one. My dealer found it, but will not apply it because FCA will not support it. Also, if third party devices can make this work, then it discredits that there are any physical wiring issues that prevent this from working. I have existence proof that mine is working, and the Tazer made it work.

I find it ironic that a third party device can make this work. Jeep seems to be able to make this work on a factory install. When you dealer installs a Mopar LED fender kit, that the Mopar catalog boasts that everything in it is the same as factory parts and will work.... Jeep/FCA refuses to make it work.

This is simply a case that Jeep/FCA will not give Mopar the codes to enable the LED indicator lights to work. Jeep/FCA will not support a kit using factory parts that is sold and advertised to work by Mopar. When a dealer installs this kit, it renders the vehicle as not road worthy. The indicators fail.

This whole situation makes ZERO sense...

Jeep has no remedy for this. The dealership will not escalate it, as I have fixed it with the Tazer.

I still bring this issue up with every service.

I paid for this to work. Jeep has yet to offer me any resolution to this. Not even a suggestion to put the old stuff back on.

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I have one, but disappointed. The cost savings cannot be that much. They are simply cheap. The profit margin on a new vehicle is huge. FCA actually made more money with us upgrading after the fact. All they had to do is account for us upgrading after purchasing. I’ve added the following: all LED front, tail, turn, and fog. AUX switches, and trailer tow package so far. Will eventually try adding the proximity locks.
Seems like wrongly thought out cost savings. I would think there is a savings with just having a single wiring harness part to track, such as many Japanese manufacturers use. To add the tow kit, to add the LED headlamps; the wiring harness has to be updated. Makes zero sense. Have one single wiring harness to keep track of, to maintain, to troubleshoot; and make it to support all the features that you will put in to the vehicle. Having a custom harness made for each Jeep configuration has got to be error prone.

humrk311

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe that there is no sales code to fix this, as there is one. My dealer found it, but will not apply it because FCA will not support it. Also, if third party devices can make this work, then it discredits that there are any physical wiring issues that prevent this from working. I have existence proof that mine is working, and the Tazer made it work.

I find it ironic that a third party device can make this work. Jeep seems to be able to make this work on a factory install. When you dealer installs a Mopar LED fender kit, that the Mopar catalog boasts that everything in it is the same as factory parts and will work.... Jeep/FCA refuses to make it work.

This is simply a case that Jeep/FCA will not give Mopar the codes to enable the LED indicator lights to work. Jeep/FCA will not support a kit using factory parts that is sold and advertised to work by Mopar. When a dealer installs this kit, it renders the vehicle as not road worthy. The indicators fail.

This whole situation makes ZERO sense...

Jeep has no remedy for this. The dealership will not escalate it, as I have fixed it with the Tazer.

I still bring this issue up with every service.

I paid for this to work. Jeep has yet to offer me any resolution to this. Not even a suggestion to put the old stuff back on.
Re: your first paragraph.. Initially I shared your skepticism.. and spent (as related earlier) many, many hours in an effort to track down that "secret" sales code that FCA wouldn't support.. I believed a code was available and once added to my VIN (by FCA Regional) my dealer could then flash it to my BCM thereby correcting the directional hyper-flash and bulb-out issues..

I tracked down the (unnamed) service manager referenced in a long ago post who the poster claimed had found the sales code and accomplished the FCA VIN add.. he related that the post was misleading and that he had personally spent four months trying to resolve (via a sales code) the exact hyper-flash and bulb-out issues I was experiencing, without success, finally resorting to a Tazer..

I also connected with the poster who confirmed the above and acknowledged he should have amended his prior posts to reflect that.. (which he subsequently did)

Refusing to accept defeat I continued my efforts eventually contacting a FCA Region Manager who listened to my story and promised to investigate with his Region Technical Engineer.. My initial thought was I'll never hear back from him but several days later he contacted me to report his engineer advised him of the circuitry difference between Premium and Base vehicles.

That a Tazer cures the issues does NOT discredit physical wiring issues.. the Tazer works (in this specific context) by masking the incorrect (error) values the BCM sees as a result of the LED conversion..

Attached are a marked-up version of the relevant wiring diagram and a comparison of the connector pin layout, wire size and circuit functions highlighting the differences between Base and Premium (LED) vehicles..

Totally agree with you about the idiocy of FCA by intentionally designing-in the disconnect, failing to adequately inform their dealers and customers, and most of all, for NOT flagging to potential purchasers that OEM LED DRLs are NOT compatible with non-LED Premium vehicles..

If I had known in advance it would cost me $800 to have functional OEM turn signals I would have gone aftermarket and saved $500+

Attachments

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Re: your first paragraph.. Initially I shared your skepticism.. and spent (as related earlier) many, many hours in an effort to track down that "secret" sales code that FCA wouldn't support.. I believed a code was available and once added to my VIN (by FCA Regional) my dealer could then flash it to my BCM thereby correcting the directional hyper-flash and bulb-out issues..

I tracked down the (unnamed) service manager referenced in a long ago post who the poster claimed had found the sales code and accomplished the FCA VIN add.. he related that the post was misleading and that he had personally spent four months trying to resolve (via a sales code) the exact hyper-flash and bulb-out issues I was experiencing, without success, finally resorting to a Tazer..

I also connected with the poster who confirmed the above and acknowledged he should have amended his prior posts to reflect that.. (which he subsequently did)

Refusing to accept defeat I continued my efforts eventually contacting a FCA Region Manager who listened to my story and promised to investigate with his Region Technical Engineer.. My initial thought was I'll never hear back from him but several days later he contacted me to report his engineer advised him of the circuitry difference between Premium and Base vehicles.

That a Tazer cures the issues does NOT discredit physical wiring issues.. the Tazer works (in this specific context) by masking the incorrect (error) values the BCM sees as a result of the LED conversion..

Attached are a marked-up version of the relevant wiring diagram and a comparison of the connector pin layout, wire size and circuit functions highlighting the differences between Base and Premium (LED) vehicles..

Totally agree with you about the idiocy of FCA by intentionally designing-in the disconnect, failing to adequately inform their dealers and customers, and most of all, for NOT flagging to potential purchasers that OEM LED DRLs are NOT compatible with non-LED Premium vehicles..

If I had known in advance it would cost me $800 to have functional OEM turn signals I would have gone aftermarket and saved $500+
Thank you for this information!

I still don't buy in to the idea that if Tazer can make it work, FCA should be able to make it work.

I also don't understand why the OEM LED headlight kit seems to be ok with modifying the wiring harness, yet, the fender kit isn't. We already have an existence proof that FCA is ok with FCA trained technicians modifying the wiring harness to support features.

humrk311

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for this information!

I still don't buy in to the idea that if Tazer can make it work, FCA should be able to make it work.

I also don't understand why the OEM LED headlight kit seems to be ok with modifying the wiring harness, yet, the fender kit isn't. We already have an existence proof that FCA is ok with FCA trained technicians modifying the wiring harness to support features.
Definitely agree with you on the LED headlight kit example.. (the "kit" is just 2 additional wires to support halo functionality) Seems logical that a similar "kit"would be feasible for the directionals..

I haven't found any indication there's a different part number for the BCM in a Base vehicle vs a Premium vehicle so the fix might be as "simple" as (at the BCM) relocating the conductors/pins from their existing connectors/positions to the connector/positions for an LED vehicle..

"Simple" may be an understatement as the 2 existing conductors each go to a different connector (C1 & C4) and both would need to be relocated to a 3rd connector (C6).. but a simple 2 wire harness kit with pre-assembled pins to add to connector C6 and crimp connectors for attaching the conductors removed from C1 & C4 could be the answer..

One question would be whether the BCM would error due to the absence of load on the original circuits (as it does if those circuits are feeding LEDs rather than bulbs) or if "seeing" LED load on the LED circuits overrides the bulb-out sensing of the Base circuits.. (hmmm... maybe that's how Tazer resolves it?)

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I’ve double checked and swapped them out and it just switches the halo that’s working from left to right :/.
I have this EXACT problem right now. Can you tell me what you did to fix it ?

I've checked the wiring and I've turn halos on and off countless times. Still same problem. They sort of "flicker" when you press the unlock button .
Sponsored