First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
No unfortunately they are not. You will need a TAZER or other type of programmer to make them work.
Got the LED tail lamps installed, and the LED fog lamps installed as previously stated. Thought everything was good. Last night I noticed the passenger LED tail lamp not working. Brake light and reverse light works, but no driving light. Dealer said no power getting to the driving light. Ordered a replacement free of charge since I originally ordered from Mopar and had the receipt. Waiting on LED headlamps, passenger side LED tail lamp, and the replacement remote start (module) kit. After the tail lamp and headlamps get installed I will No longer need the Tazer JL mini any longer.
Sponsored

edotdiggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
The harness is plug and play. However, as someone mentioned earlier, you will need to program the DRL lights (switch from halogen to DRL in the ECU) or they won't work correctly. Either with a Tazer or at the dealer.

As for the harness it self. The plug is the same and connects directly, but do note that the DRL harness is fixed (not removable) to the DRLs themselves and cannot be detached. The halogen harness is detachable at the light housing, and also at the harness end.

So if you buy take-off OEM DRLs, make sure the harness is attached and hasn't been cut as it cannot be removed. Hope that helps. I made a little video on the tubez if you want to check it out.

Crazy small world, I saw your videos a week ago and that gave me the motivation to go through with upgrading from halogens haha Your videos definitely helps. Just bought OEM LED fog lights and DRL's (with the harness connected). Going to purchase the OEM LED headlights directly from the mopar site soon so that I can upgrade the all at the same time and get a dealership to flash once since it can get pricey doing it multiple times. Will send updates as I complete this within the next week or so.

MyLilPonyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2012 McLaren 12C
Crazy small world, I saw your videos a week ago and that gave me the motivation to go through with upgrading from halogens haha Your videos definitely helps. Just bought OEM LED fog lights and DRL's (with the harness connected). Going to purchase the OEM LED headlights directly from the mopar site soon so that I can upgrade the all at the same time and get a dealership to flash once since it can get pricey doing it multiple times. Will send updates as I complete this within the next week or so.
That’s awesome to hear. My vids are not perfect but I make them anyway in hopes it helps someone else. Can’t wait to see yours done. Congrats!

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Mech Engineer
anyone know yet if the dealership is able to change the fender lights to LED from halogen? Really would like to not use an aftermarket tuner (tazer) and instead go through the dealer, but really wanting to make the jump to all LED. Also a bummer the headlights are on a many-month back-order currently.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
anyone know yet if the dealership is able to change the fender lights to LED from halogen? Really would like to not use an aftermarket tuner (tazer) and instead go through the dealer, but really wanting to make the jump to all LED. Also a bummer the headlights are on a many-month back-order currently.
Yeah I am frustrated by the whole process. Unsure why they just didn’t make them all LED in the first place. It is an easy swap if you go aftermarket or OEM. The Tazer JL mini works great. The only issue I had was actually finding the connector. It is right there but thought it was more in the dash.

Sponsored

offroad.ua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The harness is plug and play. However, as someone mentioned earlier, you will need to program the DRL lights (switch from halogen to DRL in the ECU) or they won't work correctly. Either with a Tazer or at the dealer.
Can someone please explain why dealer can or cannot do it so I have to get a taser. Is it just more expansive to do it at the dealer than buying a Tazer? If less expensive they why everybody is buying Tazers instead of programming at the dealer?

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Can someone please explain why dealer can or cannot do it so I have to get a taser. Is it just more expansive to do it at the dealer than buying a Tazer? If less expensive they why everybody is buying Tazers instead of programming at the dealer?
I believe it has to do with the fact that the JL/JT sport isn't able to come with the full led group from the factory (not including the led tail lights you get with the blind spot monitoring), so there's no existing sales code for the dealer to use to properly activate them. Maybe one day if the full led package becomes available on the sports they'll be able to do it.

MyLilPonyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some dealers can do the job but charge a lot for it and that makes it not worth it for most that are considering it. Some dealers won’t do it at all.
I spent about $700 for the entire conversion, that includes the DRLs, Headlights, and the Tazer Mini.

A lot of people buy the Tazer because you can do other things as well. You can enable features, disable features, calibrate your Speedo when you add bigger tires, change gearing etc.

You certainly don’t have to get a Tazer, but every trip to the dealer they will charge you the cost of the Tazer itself. With that said, doing it at the dealer reduces the chances of having warranty issues down the line.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
Some dealers can do the job but charge a lot for it and that makes it not worth it for most that are considering it. Some dealers won’t do it at all.
I spent about $700 for the entire conversion, that includes the DRLs, Headlights, and the Tazer Mini.

A lot of people buy the Tazer because you can do other things as well. You can enable features, disable features, calibrate your Speedo when you add bigger tires, change gearing etc.

You certainly don’t have to get a Tazer, but every trip to the dealer they will charge you the cost of the Tazer itself. With that said, doing it at the dealer reduces the chances of having warranty issues down the line.
There is good and bad in a “free” society. Basically pick your poison.

offroad.ua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I believe it has to do with the fact that the JL/JT sport isn't able to come with the full led group from the factory (not including the led tail lights you get with the blind spot monitoring), so there's no existing sales code for the dealer to use to properly activate them. Maybe one day if the full led package becomes available on the sports they'll be able to do it.
If my is Sahara Unlimited and not a sport, do I still need this Tazer piece for conversion? My Sahara even has LED Tail light, so I just need to convert front only.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engineer
If my is Sahara Unlimited and not a sport, do I still need this Tazer piece for conversion?
I'm not sure. Since the led package is available on the Sahara from the factory, you may be able to through the dealer, I think it's just sports that are limited.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
If my is Sahara Unlimited and not a sport, do I still need this Tazer piece for conversion? My Sahara even has LED Tail light, so I just need to convert front only.
At least from what I am experiencing. Until you have all LED’s you will get hyper flash. You also need to get the fender and driving lights.

MyLilPonyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a JLUS and I needed it for mine. It will work but you will have rapid blinking or issues that cause the lights to turn off randomly.

LHuffman47

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Automotive Sales Manager
Appreciate all the info in this thread, just have one question. I am purchasing some Factory DRL LED take-offs, and want to confirm they will fit in my JLU Sahara.

Fenders only need to be replaced if they are Sports correct?

MyLilPonyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate all the info in this thread, just have one question. I am purchasing some Factory DRL LED take-offs, and want to confirm they will fit in my JLU Sahara.

Fenders only need to be replaced if they are Sports correct?
They fit fine in the Sahara. That’s the same thing I did. Swapped the DRLs and OEM LED lights. Here’s my vid doing the DRLs if it helps
Sponsored