Mopar LCA swap

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Do you need an alignment after this swap?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Amazing post, lot of info here. I just got my 2023 JLUS and just came here because the steer is very unresponsive (compared with other vehicles i had). Only "mod": installed 275/70/18 ko2 at the dealer, NO lift.
Can you tell me exactly which part # do i have to buy to fix this? The Mopar LCA, two of them? (I´m new in the Jeep world but i´m loving it!!)
Here's my install post on them
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317

Do you need an alignment after this swap?
Only if you want to see what your caster is set at after the swap, but no alignment will be needed.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Amazing post, lot of info here. I just got my 2023 JLUS and just came here because the steer is very unresponsive (compared with other vehicles i had). Only "mod": installed 275/70/18 ko2 at the dealer, NO lift.
Can you tell me exactly which part # do i have to buy to fix this? The Mopar LCA, two of them? (I´m new in the Jeep world but i´m loving it!!)
I don't believe installing longer control arms will help with "unresponsive" steering. If anything, the additional caster will make it less responsive, which is what most people are after.

Lower caster causes twitchy steering, and people like to increase their caster to keep it tracking more straight. Not to increase responsiveness.

These control arms shouldn't be needed on a stock sport with no lift. Something else seems like it might need addressing.

Sponsored

Paulcardona

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2023
I don't believe installing longer control arms will help with "unresponsive" steering. If anything, the additional caster will make it less responsive, which is what most people are after.

Lower caster causes twitchy steering, and people like to increase their caster to keep it tracking more straight. Not to increase responsiveness.

These control arms shouldn't be needed on a stock sport with no lift. Something else seems like it might need addressing.

It´s a 2023 Sahara 4dr with 100 miles on it. I don´t know if unresponsive is the correct word, i mean
it´s very vage and i have to correct all the time.
If i move it a little bit it doesn´t go anywhere, i need to really move the steering wheel to cross.
It´s very soft too. And it doesn´t return back as good as other cars when i do a turn.

That LCA swap will help on this conditions?

Thanks

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
It´s a 2023 Sahara 4dr with 100 miles on it. I don´t know if unresponsive is the correct word, i mean
If i move it a little bit it doesn´t go anywhere, i need to really move the steering wheel to cross.
It´s very soft too. And it doesn´t return back as good as other cars when i do a turn.

Thanks
No probably not.

Sounds more like a steering box issue. You can search this forum for lots of posts about "loose steering and wander". FCA has released several versions of their steering box attempting to rectify this issue, and for the most part, it is much better now. However, sometimes you can get a bad one still.

Could also be improperly torqued ball joints from the factory (a common issue), loose tierod, etc.

Since it's brand new, take it back to the dealer to address. It's under warranty.

Edit: forgot to mention, but check your tire pressure. They tend to come over inflated from the dealer, which can cause wander as well. Try 35 PSI and see if that helps.

Paulcardona

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2023
No probably not.

Sounds more like a steering box issue. You can search this forum for lots of posts about "loose steering and wander". FCA has released several versions of their steering box attempting to rectify this issue, and for the most part, it is much better now. However, sometimes you can get a bad one still.

Could also be improperly torqued ball joints from the factory (a common issue), loose tierod, etc.

Since it's brand new, take it back to the dealer to address. It's under warranty.

Edit: forgot to mention, but check your tire pressure. They tend to come over inflated from the dealer, which can cause wander as well. Try 35 PSI and see if that helps.
Thanks a lot.... i did 275/70/18 brand new and that´s the only thing changed from factory, they set at 32 PSI.

I mean it´s not something that you feel broken or really bad, i just tought with this LCA swap it will be a little better.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Higher caster does help steering wheel return to center specifically and that is why higher caster tracks better.
People who are use to IFS rack and pinion steering will ALWAYS have to get use to the feel of conventional straight axle steering .. There are a number of reasons Jeep steering can feel vague. Number one being wide sidewall tires. The wheels can actually flex within the tire before the tire moves. “ As a Trial only” Put 50psi in the tires to remove that flex and go for a short run to see if that’s what you feel, then reduce pressure back to normal. . It greatly comes down to what vehicle you are coming from.. If you are use to a sporty little car with low profile tires then you will be definitely be disappointed with Jeep Wrangler handling. No way to sugar coat that it’s not a sports car. For instance, this last week I have been driving RAM 1500 Express with Low profile factor tires IFS. Handles nice but rides like a buckboard to my XR on 35s and 2.5” lift. Handling is more responsive in the RAM, but is it better? That depends on you. Personally I prefer the feel of the Wrangler steering and don’t find it vague at all. That being said you should be able to hold the Jeep steering wheel in one position on the highway and it should not drift what so ever.
The Jeep is definitely a different animal and can handle very nicely and competently on the highway at speed even on bigger tires but it MUST be set up and lifted properly to do so.

Paulcardona

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2023

Thanks

Because of my problem.... should i get a fox ATS Stabilizer ?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Because of my problem.... should i get a fox ATS Stabilizer ?
Typically caster will be around 4 for stock Rubicons, around 5 for a stock Sahara and a bit higher, maybe 5.5 for stock sports. You may be on the low end for a Sahara so you may have more wander than what is typical. They have bubble gauges on amazon that you can get a fairly accurate caster reading with. If your caster is 5 or less those longer Mopar lift LCAs will help a lot w/ your steering if it's a caster issue.
https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Level-Tool-700-Magnetic/dp/B00004T807/
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA swap 1674971898362

Paulcardona

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2023
Typically caster will be around 4 for stock Rubicons, around 5 for a stock Sahara and a bit higher, maybe 5.5 for stock sports. You may be on the low end for a Sahara so you may have more wander than what is typical. They have bubble gauges on amazon that you can get a fairly accurate caster reading with. If your caster is 5 or less those longer Mopar lift LCAs will help a lot w/ your steering if it's a caster issue.

Thanks i will check that out!

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA swap 1674971898362
I am curious as to where you got these caster numbers as all Wranglers have the same suspension parts. There is no lift in a regular Rubicon. See other thread comparing stock heights. Even the XRecon 1.5 “ lift does not put the Rubicon caster out of spec.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am curious as to where you got these caster numbers as all Wranglers have the same suspension parts. There is no lift in a regular Rubicon. See other thread comparing stock heights. Even the XRecon 1.5 “ lift does not put the Rubicon caster out of spec.
Going by the below FCA specs, the whole JL line ( no mention of the newest XR version) the caster range is a low of 3.8 degrees to a high of 6.35 degrees. FCA rather than supplying the correct LCAs they just widen the spec so they can use one LCA part # to cover all models. Each model has different spring heights, and with each inch in height gained about .75 degree caster is reduced (give or take). As far as the XR keeping caster in spec w/ that extra 1.5" lift, If they are indeed using the same suspension parts as a stock Rubicon (except for the taller springs/shocks) then something has to be changed to keep caster in range. IIRC the XR has different axle part #s w/ thicker tubes, it's probably been adjusted (welding the LCA brackets slightly different)to have an extra couple degrees tilt to keep caster in range. Maybe @Roky or @chevymitchell would have specifics regarding this.

Front Wheel Alignment Service Measurement Check Specifications

| Total Toe** | Caster | Cross Caster* | Camber - Left | Camber - Right | Cross Camber*
Sport | 0.20° +/- 0.20° | 5.35° +/- 1.00° | 0.00° +/- 0.50° | -0.25° +/- 0.50° | -0.25° +/- 0.50° | 0.00° +/- 0.50°
Sahara | 0.20° +/- 0.20° | 5.05° +/- 1.00° | 0.00° +/- 0.50° | -0.25° +/- 0.50° | -0.25° +/- 0.50° | 0.00° +/- 0.50°
Rubicon and 3.0L Diesel Sport / Sahara | 0.20° +/- 0.20° | 4.80° +/- 1.00° | 0.00° +/- 0.50° | -0.25° +/- 0.50° | -0.25° +/- 0.50° | 0.00° +/- 0.50°
Note: Caster values required to be greater than or equal to 4.0° for all variants

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Compared to a stock sport or sport s, the rubicon is 'lifted" . A stock rubicon runs 1.5" -2" higher than it's sport conterpart. Maybe .5" of that is in it's larger tires, but the remainder is in the suspension. The shocks and springs are both longer.
Look at it another way - if I wanted to put the mopar 2" lift on a sport - raising it to approx the same height as a rubicon - the kit includes the longer LCA's. Q.E.D. the rubicon should come with the longer LCA's stock as it already has a higher base suspension.
Sponsored