First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I live in Southern California, so frozen squirters aren't a problem I've experienced, so bear with me when I ask why you'd want to spray washer fluid when it's freezing outside? Wouldn't that just makes your visibility worse by coating the windshield with ice?
Up here in north there’s also a fine mist of salt grime in the air that coats your windshield and makes it less transparent. so I actually use my sprayer way more in the winter than in the summer
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
About 10 years ago I had rain x bug remover in my 1997 tahoe.

My hood had about 2-3” of snow on it. Well instead of clearing the sprayers I just said screw it, I’ll squirt through the snow. Probably about 5 seconds of squirting until it penetrated.

Well 3 days later the snow melted off my hood, and so did the paint on the hood.
I'm pretty sure someone replaced your washer fluid with Dot 3. Lol. Never heard of anything RainX taking paint. What do you think happened?

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
About 10 years ago I had rain x bug remover in my 1997 tahoe.

My hood had about 2-3” of snow on it. Well instead of clearing the sprayers I just said screw it, I’ll squirt through the snow. Probably about 5 seconds of squirting until it penetrated.

Well 3 days later the snow melted off my hood, and so did the paint on the hood.
As soon as I read 1997 Chevy, I knew it would be a paint issue. For some reason GM and Chrysler had lots of problems with paint adhering to the car. I'm going to guess it was a cost related issue.

I do know on some cars (i.e. German) the fancy washer solvent messes with the level indicator and then they end up throwing a low washer warning. Then you either got to remove the sensor and clean it or clean out the bottle.

Every once in a while we get a customer that fills the washer bottle with coolant. That creates a mess.

Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
As soon as I read 1997 Chevy, I knew it would be a paint issue. For some reason GM and Chrysler had lots of problems with paint adhering to the car. I'm going to guess it was a cost related issue.
the rest of the paint was fine after 20 years in NJ salt

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
My Land Rover Defender has the nozzles built into the wipers - they are terrible relative to the traditional style.

One thing missing is this only applies water on the forward side of the blade. In the traditional method, the whole windshield is sprayed while the wiper goes back and forth - allowing lubrication/solvent in both directions. Much more effective for stuck-on dirt.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I'm pretty sure someone replaced your washer fluid with Dot 3. Lol. Never heard of anything RainX taking paint. What do you think happened?
I think if you leave it on the car for several days without letting it evaporate it will take the paint off.

It obviously doesn’t cause an issue under normal usage because millions of people use it.

I’m guessing the bug dissolving variant is a considerably more powerful solvent.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Honestly, my biggest gripe is that the current nozzles aren't able to be aimed. I had a bmw years ago where you could adjust the aim of the squirters - that seems like a cost effective and simple solution.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Where do y’all live that wipers only last a year or two? I typically replace mine every 4-5 years and they’re usually not horrible at that timeframe.
I am lucky if I get 6 months. wow.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I think if you leave it on the car for several days without letting it evaporate it will take the paint off.

It obviously doesn’t cause an issue under normal usage because millions of people use it.

I’m guessing the bug dissolving variant is a considerably more powerful solvent.
I feel like that shouldn't be something that happens with something that's supposed to be sprayed near cars. Lol

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Honestly, my biggest gripe is that the current nozzles aren't able to be aimed. I had a bmw years ago where you could adjust the aim of the squirters - that seems like a cost effective and simple solution.
As the aim of the washer nozzles on my Jeep is satisfactory, I've not yet attempted to adjust them. That said, I've not yet owned a vehicle where the nozzles couldn't be adjusted when using a robust safety pin to do so. That's not to say the Jeep's nozzles are adjustable. I'd be a bit peeved if they aren't so.

buzzhack

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue 392
MSRP: $140
Sale Price: $186.20

$140 is already ridiculous for wiper blades..

I wouldn't say it's just for wiper blades. It looks like the whole system includes arms, blades, and hoses for the fluid. Still I agree with you, $140 is pricey for that.

DiscoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 4xe
I wouldn't say it's just for wiper blades. It looks like the whole system includes arms, blades, and hoses for the fluid. Still I agree with you, $140 is pricey for that.
It's actually coming with 2 sets of blades. One for installation and another as a spare.
I think for Mopar parts, it's not bad.

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
Where do y’all live that wipers only last a year or two? I typically replace mine every 4-5 years and they’re usually not horrible at that timeframe.
Try living here in the desert southwest where your wiper blades melt onto your windshield. I have a new set and they are already sticking to the glass. If blades last a year you should consider yourself lucky and buy a lottery ticket 😁
Sponsored