First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
I think you'll need an extension for pretty much any hitch rack to clear the spare.

I have the 1up and dont need the extension at all. One of the nice things about how the 1up mounts is it's adjustability in the hitch. When folded up, I've got over an inch of clearance between the tire and rack...
Sponsored

jedisrus

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
New Mexico, Not really new - not really Mexico...
Vehicle(s)
2018 GCM JLUR 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 1up and dont need the extension at all. One of the nice things about how the 1up mounts is it's adjustability in the hitch. When folded up, I've got over an inch of clearance between the tire and rack...
Can we get a picture of your setup? I may order one if this is the case.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Can we get a picture of your setup? I may order one if this is the case.

I'm out of town for a few days, but I did post pics on one of the bike rack threads here.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
To all those saying you dont need the extension - have you actually tried putting your bike on it? I can get the rack to fit without an extension, but if I put my bike on it the pedals hit the spare tire rim. If I were to drive like that, it'd scratch the hell out of the rim. Instead of removing the pedals every time, I just use an extension.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I was guessing I’d need an extension for my Hollywood racks hitch/tray. I just did a fitting without my bike. I now think I can use it with no extension but likely need to take a pedal off. No way I can open gate w bike(s) rack on though.

Hoping to get some chicago/kettle winter riding in over holiday and will snap some pics.

$300 Kuat pivot could be an option. A pricey one
Or $330 Yakima backswing

FD175FA9-F768-4BD7-8A4C-677987C3786A.jpeg

CDBAE0A8-C438-4F28-82C7-17733C5948E6.jpeg

B12A8F82-7035-4EE5-B0E6-2999631620A7.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
To all those saying you dont need the extension - have you actually tried putting your bike on it? I can get the rack to fit without an extension, but if I put my bike on it the pedals hit the spare tire rim. If I were to drive like that, it'd scratch the hell out of the rim. Instead of removing the pedals every time, I just use an extension.
I've been using it since the end of July and pedals dont touch anything... You do mention plastic pedals. I would have guessed anyone dropping the coin for a 1up rack would be running clipless pedals.

OP
OP
ChaseW

ChaseW

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wrangler 392 XR
Theres a button to disable park sense. Its near the AC button I think. It stays on between engine cycles, so makes it easy to leave the rack on all the time. Cross traffic detection still works.
I can't believe I didn't notice this before hahaha. Thanks!

I did and unfortunately my pedals are too wide, and the rack won't fold into the storage position without an extension. I ride with flat pedals and they hit the tire almost every way I've tried. The extension just made things easier for me.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I've been using it since the end of July and pedals dont touch anything... You do mention plastic pedals. I would have guessed anyone dropping the coin for a 1up rack would be running clipless pedals.
Where did I mention plastic pedals? I run spank spike metal pedals.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Where did I mention plastic pedals? I run spank spike metal pedals.
I get the assume clipless on road, but quite a few mtn bikers run flats ... I run plastic race face chesters or clipless ... depends on mood and weather(snow)

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hi everyone,
Is anyone running 1up with 4 bikes. We’re a family of 4 avid mountain bikers. Mostly see 1ups w at most 2 bike racks.
any issues clearing the trays in 4 bike rack configuration?
Sponsored