Sponsored

Mopar hinge reinforcement - what about the tire carrier?

Scott2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have the factory hinge reinforcement which says it allows the tailgate to handle up to 37s, which is what I am running. The spare has a bit more movement than I would like. Should I also invest in something like this? https://teraflex.com/jl-alpha-hd-ad...ount-kit-w-brake-light-camera-mounts-5x5.html

It doesn't seem to make sense that they advertise the tailgate working with a 37 but they don't address the tire carrier. Thanks!
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Whether a 37 fits or not depends a lot on the rim, not necessarily the tire size. And even a reinforcement has more to do with tire/rim weight than just the size of a tire (for example nearly every single 35" MT is a porker compared to a 37" KO2 which is only a few more pounds than a stock 33" MT).

As for the carrier, I mean it isn't adding all that much extra rigidity if you still don't have the lower mounts pressing on the bottom of the tire IMHO. Frankly if it were my money I'd by a RC carrier for a lot less than mid-300s first to see if that actually fixed my concern.

Personally I'm running the RC relocate and have FAT BOY Wildpeak MTs which weigh in at an ABSURD 79.6 lbs with the tire alone.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/rough-c...sensors-jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-2022/p/RC10526/

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I ran the mopar reinforcement woth the alpha carrier on a heavy 127# combination for about a month. Ended up ditching the mopar reinforcement sheath for the teraflex alpha hinge gate to use with the alpha carrier. 100% beef, never looking back.

As stated above the wheel BS has a lot to do with the leverage, not just the weight alone. Check my build thread for details on the switch.

OP
OP

Scott2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I was actually looking at the Teraflex bracket because I really like their brake light connection but then got to thinking that my 17" Method wheel with a 37" Toyo RT on that plastic carrier probably isn't the best. It seems I should do something to beef it up.

Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
The oem tire carriers are much worse than the hinges - broke 2 on JK's and they appear to be the same as the JL one
Only burned through one pair of oem hinges
Def get both !!! :jk:

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
I was actually looking at the Teraflex bracket because I really like their brake light connection but then got to thinking that my 17" Method wheel with a 37" Toyo RT on that plastic carrier probably isn't the best. It seems I should do something to beef it up.
The Teraflex is not plastic, it’s actually made of steel. Great choice.

Go_Galt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I thought the Tereflex hinged tire carrier and tire mount were absurdly expensive when I bought them, but they turned out to the one of the best things I've put on my JLR.

The Teraflex setup:

-Actually fits and installs properly (if this statement doesn't make you sit up a little straighter in your seat, you haven't installed anything on a JL).

-Hinge is built like an honest-to-god bank vault.

-Carrier is height and width adjustable, which allows you to fit your tire setup with most bumpers, keeps a big tire from triggering backup sensors, and holds the tire super close against the tailgate (less leverage from being mounted closer = good). How close you mount to the tailgate is infinitely adjustable.

-The third brake light setup and backup camera housing are extremely clean looking and squared away. Both look much nicer than the OEM equivalents.

-Tereflex put a ton of useful but discrete threaded holes in the swingarm, which allows you to add stuff later. Their antenna/flag bracket mounts up beautifully to the swingarm, and is the nicest looking solution for a rear GMRS antenna that I've seen. Teraflex also anticipated the fact that you were going to route antenna wiring through the rubber grommet in the tailgate, and left you some convenient channels in the carrier.

-Overall, the setup just looks and fits in an extremely clean fashion that you'd expect from something OEM, while also functioning much, much better than OEM.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar hinge reinforcement - what about the tire carrier? 3F5A1A49-0572-4265-A0B3-AB6F246D8A6C

OP
OP

Scott2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I thought the Tereflex hinged tire carrier and tire mount were absurdly expensive when I bought them, but they turned out to the one of the best things I've put on my JLR.

The Teraflex setup:

-Actually fits and installs properly (if this statement doesn't make you sit up a little straighter in your seat, you haven't installed anything on a JL).

-Hinge is built like an honest-to-god bank vault.

-Carrier is height and width adjustable, which allows you to fit your tire setup with most bumpers, keeps a big tire from triggering backup sensors, and holds the tire super close against the tailgate (less leverage from being mounted closer = good). How close you mount to the tailgate is infinitely adjustable.

-The third brake light setup and backup camera housing are extremely clean looking and squared away. Both look much nicer than the OEM equivalents.

-Tereflex put a ton of useful but discrete threaded holes in the swingarm, which allows you to add stuff later. Their antenna/flag bracket mounts up beautifully to the swingarm, and is the nicest looking solution for a rear GMRS antenna that I've seen. Teraflex also anticipated the fact that you were going to route antenna wiring through the rubber grommet in the tailgate, and left you some convenient channels in the carrier.

-Overall, the setup just looks and fits in an extremely clean fashion that you'd expect from something OEM, while also functioning much, much better than OEM.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar hinge reinforcement - what about the tire carrier? 3F5A1A49-0572-4265-A0B3-AB6F246D8A6C
Great info and looks super clean. Since I already have the hinge reinforcement I was going to forgo the swing arm/hinge setup and just do the tire carrier. Misstep?

Sponsored

Go_Galt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Great info and looks super clean. Since I already have the hinge reinforcement I was going to forgo the swing arm/hinge setup and just do the tire carrier. Misstep?
I don't have any experience using their tire carrier in conjunction with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement, so the best answer I can give it 'it depends'.

You can search threads on here where you'll see lots of people mounting a variety of 37s on the tailgate with the Mopar reinforcement, and report absolutely no problems.

I considered just doing the Teraflex tire carrier with the Mopar reinforcement, but opted for the full Teraflex setup only because it helps me sleep soundly with a 37 mounted. It's something that can always be added later if you end up not liking or having problems with the Mopar reinforcement, though.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator

Hahmster

First Name
Larson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser; 2022 JLU Rubicon XR
No sag or rattles so far with the Teraflex tire carrier and Mopar hinge reinforcement, but take notice I still rock dealer plates. Hahahaha.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar hinge reinforcement - what about the tire carrier? Rear Carrier
Sponsored

Last edited: