gogiantsfan11

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
HI All,
My husband is ordering me a Jeep Rubicon for my 50th Birthday:) He did the build but I am not sure I want with the Mopar HD Rock Slider step assist. This will be my only vehicle and will not be used for off roading just the beach. I 100% want some kind of step just not sure if I should get something aftermarket that is better? Thanks..
Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
If you're talking about these, then I can comment on my thoughts, as I have them on my Jeep and have been using them for a few months now. Note - no off-road use, but plenty of use-them-as-a-step time.

You would be better served to find an aftermarket rail that's marketed more as a step assist than a rock rail. It's plenty sturdy and wide enough to use as a step and it has the texture of bedliner so it offers a lot of traction and generally seems well-built. However, it is far too close to the body and thus only a couple inches below the door sill so it doesn't really offer much to aid during entry.

These were the top alternate. I swear I saw some that angled down and away from the body that would lower the area where you'd step but I can't find them anymore.

You can check out this thread to see a bunch of options and ask questions.

Regardless I would not order any accessories from the factory - there's plenty of places that sell Mopar brand stuff for way cheaper and lots of great aftermarket options too.

OP
OP

gogiantsfan11

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If you're talking about these, then I can comment on my thoughts, as I have them on my Jeep and have been using them for a few months now. Note - no off-road use, but plenty of use-them-as-a-step time.

You would be better served to find an aftermarket rail that's marketed more as a step assist than a rock rail. It's plenty sturdy and wide enough to use as a step and it has the texture of bedliner so it offers a lot of traction and generally seems well-built. However, it is far too close to the body and thus only a couple inches below the door sill so it doesn't really offer much to aid during entry.

These were the top alternate. I swear I saw some that angled down and away from the body that would lower the area where you'd step but I can't find them anymore.

Regardless I would not order any accessories from the factory - there's plenty of places that sell Mopar brand stuff for way cheaper and lots of great aftermarket options too.
Thanks, this really helped me. I will order aftermarket for sure.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0

Adding to the comment about the mopar rail. My dad has the mopar performance rock rail, that wide one. It’s usable as a step but honestly to me just gets in the way getting out of the jeep since it’s wider and the jeep isn’t any taller than a rubi. So i kinda do a wide step hopping out of his jeep instead

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
One thing to note is that the Rubicon will always come with a rail, even it's not the wide "performance" one, so don't pay extra for it. Browse Quadratec or Northridge4x4 or another good all-round Jeep aftermarket for some that you like and sell the OEM Rubicon rock rails when you get them. Or, you could have your dealer (factory can't do this) swap in Mopar side steps (like on the Sahara) instead of rock rails and get them covered under warranty.

Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks, this really helped me. I will order aftermarket for sure.
You're very welcome! Happy birthday and welcome to the forum!

I spent a lot of time agonizing over this rock rail choice so I'm happy to spare you the effort. Overall I'm happy with it but if I could do it all over I'd pick a different rail. Looks awesome, though. Like another poster said, your Rubicon comes with a smaller rock rail that will cover up the pinch weld on the body and offer some (minimal) protection but it's tucked up under the body so it's not usable as a step.

exrub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL, 2014 JKU, and a few others
Sorry to revive an old thread. I am hoping to order a 2-Dr Rubi in the near future and am thinking of the rock slider with step assist (since it can be ordered from factory). I have thought of possibly having the side step installed at the dealership since I have them on my Sahara, but it looks like you would lose a few inches of clearance. I would prefer the original integrity of how it was built. Can you tell me how many inches wide the "step" portion is? Thank you!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Sorry to revive an old thread. I am hoping to order a 2-Dr Rubi in the near future and am thinking of the rock slider with step assist (since it can be ordered from factory). I have thought of possibly having the side step installed at the dealership since I have them on my Sahara, but it looks like you would lose a few inches of clearance. I would prefer the original integrity of how it was built. Can you tell me how many inches wide the "step" portion is? Thank you!
It’s basically at the same height as the door entry and thus not usable whatsoever as a step ( and very close to the body). The width isn’t the issue. I own a 2 door with one. My $0.02.

I’ve used it as a slider a couple of times in Moab and it seemed to do OK though.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't have the newer wide rock rail/step. But I have the RockHard step/rock rail on a stock suspension/tire Rubicon. They are about the same location, height wise as the JCR and new OEM rail/step. For me, they are too high for a step and simply get in the way getting in and out. If I'm in clean clothes, they rub against my trousers as I step down (I'm 5' 9"). My wife says basically the same thing (she's 5' 4").

There are a number of retractable steps on the market now.
The Rock Slide Engineering is the top of the heap, in a number of ways. It has rock rail protection with the addition of a retracting step. But you pay a price for this in at least a couple ways. First, they're $2300. Then the weight...they are 300lbs when equipped the armor for rock rail protection. They are really for lifted jeeps as they extend the step 12" down.

For the mall crawlers, there are power retractable steps like the Aries, Bestop, AMP Research, Rough Country, RBP, and probably a few I'm missing. I have the AMP steps on my truck and they are handy for my wife.

exrub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate your thoughts. I'm 5' 8" and like the side step on the Sahara. Perhaps I may have to go that route. You gave me things to think about. Thanks!

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Appreciate your thoughts. I'm 5' 8" and like the side step on the Sahara. Perhaps I may have to go that route. You gave me things to think about. Thanks!
There’s companies that make a slider with a step cut out of them so that it sits below the entry area— LOD destroyer is one that comes to mind but I haven’t used it. The rock slide engineering ones are great too but so goddamn expensive. I have them on the gladiator. They do work.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Hi,

Lucky you for a birthday gift of a Jeep!

I had regular MOPAR rock rails on my Sahara for a short while and found that my off road escapades really were not in need of the rock rail! Most of my off road is beach driving so I went back to the standard MOPAR steps. More like a real step, yup plastic but tough and perfectly durable for sand driving!!

Save the Rubi rock rails in your garage, easy swap in case you decide ya wanna get crazy! LOL

Go Jeep!!!

exrub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There’s companies that make a slider with a step cut out of them so that it sits below the entry area— LOD destroyer is one that comes to mind but I haven’t used it. The rock slide engineering ones are great too but so goddamn expensive. I have them on the gladiator. They do work.
I do like your fleet.

Might start with the rock slider w/ step and see how it goes. If need to, I'll get the side steps and swap them out. Thanks, again!

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I added them to mine but I got them on marketplace for $250, so far I love them for what they are.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
They are $$ but I second the rock slide engineering steps. They saved the jeep from getting the ax and a marriage lol. Their support dept in my experience has been top notch.
Sponsored