Sponsored

Mopar hardtop headliner

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
I'm planning on ordering a Jeep Wrangler 4 door next month and wanted to go with the hardtop. This will be my first Jeep (most likely a Sport S).

Is the Mopar headliner worth it? Does it cut down on noise, heat, cold or not that much of a difference? This will be a 1 year company lease through FCA so I cannot modify or add things to the vehicle. Whatever I order from the factory is it.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored

thejill

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I added the headliner when I ordered my JLUR. But, I cannot really comment as to any difference it may or not make since this is my first Wrangler. But I added it on because a lot of people on this forum recommended a headliner.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The headliners will help retain heat in WINTER and insulate in SUMMER-

They reduce OUTSIDE NOISE and make ordinary conversations NORMAL at hiwy speeds !

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I thought I would really want a headliner but after 1,300 miles of mostly highway driving, I don't think it would be worth the money. We've had some pretty cold weather already and I don't have any issues with heat retention - the heater in this thing is extremely capable. I would skip it unless you test drive one with a headliner and can really notice a difference.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I like the head liner in our JKU, because for one thing I wouldn't want to see all that white:giggle: If I didn't have it, I'd probably find a way to paint it or decorate or something to spice up the plain white top:like:

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Hothead headliner is hands down the best. There are multiple reports on factory headliner fell out of places because of crappy velcro they used

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
I thought I would really want a headliner but after 1,300 miles of mostly highway driving, I don't think it would be worth the money. We've had some pretty cold weather already and I don't have any issues with heat retention - the heater in this thing is extremely capable. I would skip it unless you test drive one with a headliner and can really notice a difference.
The heater in these are insane since it needs to provide adequate heat for Jeeps with soft tops. It has a bigger impact in the summer since the top gets blazing hot and traps lots of heat up top and the AC needs to work harder. I often sprayed my jeep with off with water to cool the hardtop off before I even got in so the AC had less to cool off and it was much more comfortable.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hothead headliner is hands down the best. There are multiple reports on factory headliner fell out of places because of crappy velcro they used
I'm sure the hothead is better, but the op specifically said he could only add factory options. I haven't had a single issue with the factory headliner in the year I've been running it.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I'm planning on ordering a Jeep Wrangler 4 door next month and wanted to go with the hardtop. This will be my first Jeep (most likely a Sport S).

Is the Mopar headliner worth it? Does it cut down on noise, heat, cold or not that much of a difference? This will be a 1 year company lease through FCA so I cannot modify or add things to the vehicle. Whatever I order from the factory is it.

Thanks for your input!
I have the factory headliner in my Rubi. I took delivery in June of 2018 and haven't had any issues with it. I've ridden in another Rubi with no headliner (same tires, etc.) and my vehicle is a tad quieter on the highway. However, the difference is not drastic.

Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also in my first jeep and got the headliner simply because it was in the jeep on the lot, it wasnt something i sought out. That said, I enjoy having it and I don't notice crazy noise at highway speed. As someone posted befor, I have never had an issue with my factory headliner, although I'm aware that there were issues that plauged some. Hopefully FCA has ironed that out. If you cannot add a headliner i would get it.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I ordered the Mopar headliner for my 2019 because I didn't want to do the sanding, applying process necessary. In the first 11 months I haven't had an issue. When I was test driving some 2018's some of the headliners were coming off.

In the end, I may end up doing the sanding/applying at some point. So far, so good with the factory ordered headliner.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I have the hardtop with the factory headliner, and also the premium soft top. The soft top is surprisingly only a little bit louder than the hard top, and I feel like the headliner really doesn't make much difference at all. The only reason I have the headliner is because it came standard with the MOAB package. If I had to build a new Jeep from scratch, I would definitely save the cash and skip the headliner.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Three weeks ago I got a JLU Sahara hardtop without the headliner: picked it up in UT and drove it 1,000 miles to NW WA.

A week ago added a Mopar headliner: you can definitely tell outside noises are more muffled, and is easier to hold a conversation at freeway speeds. It also gives the interior a more finished look.

The Mopar headliner looks pricey relative to the competition. However, most aftermarket headliners charge $100 extra for the quarter window surrounds; they are included in the Mopar kit. That narrows the price difference.

I can’t speak for other brands, but the Mopar headliner looks and feels well made, and provides a perfect fit. It even covers the area around the rear window and the rear wiper electrical connection very nicely.

I found it on eBay for $415, including free shipping.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I like the head liner in our JKU, because for one thing I wouldn't want to see all that white:giggle: If I didn't have it, I'd probably find a way to paint it or decorate or something to spice up the plain white top:like:
Cover it with stickers of all the places you go with your Jeep.
Sponsored