Sponsored

Mopar grab handles- do they scratch the paint?

JLTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR MT
Hey all - the metal hooks that screw into the roll bar - do they leave scratches on the paint?
Sponsored

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
Hey all - the metal hooks that screw into the roll bar - do they leave scratches on the paint?
The hooks aren't metal. They are plastic. The only metal that touches the roll bar are the screws. That said even with plastic there is potential to scratch the paint.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar grab handles- do they scratch the paint? Grab Bar

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JLTraveler

Sure, the potential of scratching is there.. If you go with those, place 3M film down and then the grabs over that.

Also, IF you plan on buying a Sunrider for jL Hardtop, I would not install those particular grabs. Those grabs and the SR, do not play well with the SR. Often wind and water leaks occur at high speed/interstate driving.

Evo8

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
foxbody / m3 / civic si / tacoma / yj / jl
I have the handles on the front and rear of my JL - no scratches.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I went with the Alien shade ones on my 2019 and they have been great. Bought them to put on my 2021 and the buckles broke twice. Now I'm hearing they are out of business.

Sponsored

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
I went with the Alien shade ones on my 2019 and they have been great. Bought them to put on my 2021 and the buckles broke twice. Now I'm hearing they are out of business.
i read they closed temporary and will reopen later due to pandemic

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
i read they closed temporary and will reopen later due to pandemic
I think they dropped the quality a bit though... When the buckle broke during installation I just bought another set, because it was beyond warranty before I installed them. Then the buckle broke again during the installation of the second pair. So now "today" I'm about to pull the trigger on the GPCA GP-Grip Pros. I love that fact that you can rap the metal handles in whatever color/type of cord of your own choosing.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I’ve had them on and off multiple times and have zero scratches. As @Rhinebeck01 says do not put the Sunrider over them as that would be a quick ticket to a broken mount in the rear bolt of it.
Gregj

OP
OP

JLTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR MT
thanks all for the tips and points of view. I did just order the sunrider - so I won't be putting them on. Will the velcro grab handles be okay with the sunrider?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Will the velcro grab handles be okay with the sunrider?
It depends on how wide they are. There's not much room/width available when the Sunrider's door rails are installed. I had to fold the part of my GPCA grab handles that wrap around the sport bar in half to get them to fit.

Sponsored

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
no the grab handles wont scratch your paint... but you will have scratches from branches, bird doo, bugs all over the windshield, left over beer cans, misc dropped french fries, and occasionally an abandoned pair of panties in the back.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
Im sure those of you with them already knew this; however, I just wanted to clear up any confusion with the MOPAR grab handles in regard with this thread. I ordered them from Quadratec one day before this thread was started; I was then disappointed when @Volstock stated that they weren't metal.... I couldn't believe it. :surprised:

They just came in the mail and I can confirm 100% that they are in fact metal. Rubber coated metal. If you try to bend them like plastic they don't budge AT ALL. If you put a magnet to them, they are magnetic. Everyone is correct! Very 2021; participation trophies for all!

Best of both worlds.

I have yet to install them; but don't be disheartened like I was with thinking they were plastic brackets. They are not.

I'm also not as worried about scratches as I was before thinking they were bare metal.

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
Im sure those of you with them already knew this; however, I just wanted to clear up any confusion with the MOPAR grab handles in regard with this thread. I ordered them from Quadratec one day before this thread was started; I was then disappointed when @Volstock stated that they weren't metal.... I couldn't believe it. :surprised:

They just came in the mail and I can confirm 100% that they are in fact metal. Rubber coated metal. If you try to bend them like plastic they don't budge AT ALL. If you put a magnet to them, they are magnetic. Everyone is correct! Very 2021; participation trophies for all!

Best of both worlds.

I have yet to install them; but don't be disheartened like I was with thinking they were plastic brackets. They are not.

I'm also not as worried about scratches as I was before thinking they were bare metal.
Good to know. I didn't inspect them that closely, they appeared to be be plastic.
Sponsored