First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys,

One of the first mods I did was add the metal door to the gas cap area. Had it mounted properly, or so I thought. Last off-road adventure, it popped loose at the bottom. I'm finding I can lean on it and pop the clips back onto the sheet metal, but they continue to pop loose when I drive. No danger of the part falling off - it's still mounted to the gas tank intake pipe, but I hate the fact that it won't stay mounted. Thought it was something I did wrong, but I just saw a TrailRecon video where he said he had the same problem on his NotARubicon. (I have a Willys.)

Anyone else have this problem?

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar fuel door won't stay mounted? Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 9.52.15 PM
Sponsored

Ronin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2016 JK
If it's a Mopar door, I have the same one and haven't had that issue. There is not much that can go wrong with the install, since it's just that one plastic bolt and the clips holding it in. If the bolt is tight, maybe the clips are defective? If it was an issue with the quarter panel cut out, then I would think the original trim that was removed would have had that issue, too. I'll keep an eye on mine and see if it stays put.

Edit: Just remembered that the bolt only holds the tail light and does not fasten the door, so the clips...

Last edited:

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
There is a warranty on the mopar parts, I think 2 years. You should return it for a new one

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I had to have mine replaced under warranty. The clips were broken.

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Mine has come loose as well. Ill be getting it replaced under warranty here in the next few weeks.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know on JL, but on JK the fuel door for 2-door and 4-door were different. It had to do with the fuel tank intake pipes coming out at different angles.

I remember one time buying a Mopar fuel door for my Unlimited thinking they were all the same. I could not get it to stay in place; that’s when I discovered I had purchased the wrong one. Thankfully, the dealer swapped it for me.

DaveK

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella 2-door Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
On my 2018 Rubicon, the gas cap frame was not pushed in all the way from the factory such that one of the built in clips was compressed, but not popped into place. When I took it loose I found that the clip would no longer expand, so it would never pop past the sheet metal to hold the cap in place. I jammed a small piece of rubber tubing in the clip to help keep it expanded (might have used a dab of silicone to help keep it in place). That kept the clip expanded enough so that I could properly snap the cap frame clips past the sheet metal to hold it in place.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I also purchased the Mopar fuel door for my new 21 JLU. The install went by the book. However when I get gas, the weight of the pump handle seems to make the lower clips give & it snaps off at the bottom? After filling I can press it back & it snaps into place. Unfortunately mine came from Amazon & I doubt returning it is an option. Clearly it's either defective or they sent me the (maybe JK) wrong part.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@KSwilly Karl: slightly off tangent to your OP, I wish they made that door so it not only works for you, but could be configured with a lock that could be matched to a Wrangler key.

You see, I have the door and haven't had any problems with it, but I also had the matching key gas cap.

Twice that matching key gas cap, in its inability to seal, set of emissions lights.

--I do realize that external locks can freeze in cold climates though...
Sponsored