Sponsored

Mopar flat tow harness - Diesel

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Has anyone installed this on a diesel? I just received and the instructions for everything starts at the air-cleaner and then down passenger side. The diesel air cleaner is on Driver side so not sure if I should simply do everything down driver side or if there may be more to this.
Also, is the battery charge active on the mopar harness?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLURD EcoDiesel, 1985 Jeep CJ 7, 2018 Dynamax Dynaquest XL
Occupation
Consultant- motorcycle and automotive
Has anyone installed this on a diesel? I just received and the instructions for everything starts at the air-cleaner and then down passenger side. The diesel air cleaner is on Driver side so not sure if I should simply do everything down driver side or if there may be more to this.
Also, is the battery charge active on the mopar harness?
I have it installed on my JLUR diesel. We went down the passenger side. The plug on the outside is mounted on the passenger side. Plenty of harness to make the run. The whole setup is great. It doesn’t have a charge line. But, with LED lighting you can tow it all day and not run your battery down. Just always be sure to check that the ignition shows “OFF” before you tow. The Jeep has a nasty habit of staying in “ACC” mode when you turn it off after putting the transfer case in neutral and then shifting back to park per the flat tow instructions in the owner’s manual. If you use an auxiliary braking system that requires 12V power to operate, you may need a charge line. My system uses air from the motorhome, so no 12V power is required.

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I have it installed on my JLUR diesel. We went down the passenger side. The plug on the outside is mounted on the passenger side. Plenty of harness to make the run. The whole setup is great. It doesn’t have a charge line. But, with LED lighting you can tow it all day and not run your battery down. Just always be sure to check that the ignition shows “OFF” before you tow. The Jeep has a nasty habit of staying in “ACC” mode when you turn it off after putting the transfer case in neutral and then shifting back to park per the flat tow instructions in the owner’s manual. If you use an auxiliary braking system that requires 12V power to operate, you may need a charge line. My system uses air from the motorhome, so no 12V power is required.
So what braking system did you go with? My JLURD is on order, and I am working up my list for the flat tow setup.
I used a readybrute cable system on our TJ, that I still have, but am looking at something more “robust” for the new 4-door diesel.
We tow behind a 42’ diesel pusher.
Thank in advance for any info!
Mine

MoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So what braking system did you go with? My JLURD is on order, and I am working up my list for the flat tow setup.
I used a readybrute cable system on our TJ, that I still have, but am looking at something more “robust” for the new 4-door diesel.
We tow behind a 42’ diesel pusher.
Thank in advance for any info!
Mine
Demco Air Force One. Uses the air brakes from the coach. Don’t have to install and remove each time. Just hook up the air line from the coach to the Jeep and you’re good to go. Electrical cable and breakaway cable too, like any other system.

MoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Demco Air Force One. Uses the air brakes from the coach. Don’t have to install and remove each time. Just hook up the air line from the coach to the Jeep and you’re good to go. Electrical cable and breakaway cable too, like any other system.
Also use the Mopar Flat Tow Harness and love it. Plug and play. Works perfectly.

OP
OP
DwnSth

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Had forgotten about this post. Installed the harness just after original post. Other than difficult IKEA type instructions it was no problem. Didn't need to pull the rear fender flair or remove rear bumpr as instructions stated. Used plug wires to build connector mounted to rock jock tow plate. Aded charge line using unused wire since I use a brake buddy (I tow the JlL or TJ or F150).
Sponsored