Sponsored

MOPAR Flat Tow AND Trailer Wiring Harnesses?

Caskill_JL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL - Sahara
Has anyone installed BOTH the MOPAR flat tow (tow vehicle) wiring harness - 82215382AB - as well as the tow hitch wiring harness - 82215896 - on a JL? Any issues I need to be aware of? Does it matter which sequence the harnesses are connected to the existing brake light harness? Parts coming next week and hoping to get it done on a Saturday morning. Have watched a bunch of videos on each individual install, but nothing that shows both harnesses installed at the same time. Thanks!
Sponsored

ViperMadMax

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2014 Durango RT, 2003 PT Cruzer, 1998 Viper GTS.
Has anyone installed BOTH the MOPAR flat tow (tow vehicle) wiring harness - 82215382AB - as well as the tow hitch wiring harness - 82215896 - on a JL? Any issues I need to be aware of? Does it matter which sequence the harnesses are connected to the existing brake light harness? Parts coming next week and hoping to get it done on a Saturday morning. Have watched a bunch of videos on each individual install, but nothing that shows both harnesses installed at the same time. Thanks!
Yes, I just recently installed both. I did the trailer light harness first and then added the flat tow harness. It was all during the same install I just did the trailer light portion first. It is intimidating at first however once you get into it, it is not as big a deal as it seems. The biggest point of confusion for me was the license plate light. I ended up taking the rear bumper completely off however didn't need to. I have the steel bumper. Just need to loosen it enough to reach the connector for the license plate light that is inside the bumper. Not sure why they didn't use the connector that is outside of the bumper.

While I had the interior panels pulled out to run this wiring I went ahead and ran the coax for a rear mount CB antenna and the cable for a rear camera for my dashcam.

Good Luck.

OP
OP

Caskill_JL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL - Sahara
Yes, I just recently installed both. I did the trailer light harness first and then added the flat tow harness. It was all during the same install I just did the trailer light portion first. It is intimidating at first however once you get into it, it is not as big a deal as it seems. The biggest point of confusion for me was the license plate light. I ended up taking the rear bumper completely off however didn't need to. I have the steel bumper. Just need to loosen it enough to reach the connector for the license plate light that is inside the bumper. Not sure why they didn't use the connector that is outside of the bumper.

While I had the interior panels pulled out to run this wiring I went ahead and ran the coax for a rear mount CB antenna and the cable for a rear camera for my dashcam.

Good Luck.
Thanks. I may just let the dealer do this one. I’m not concerned that I can’t do it, but they quoted me 4 hours to install both and I do not think I can get it done that quickly myself. I already have the parts and they are fine installing even thought I didn’t buy them through the dealer. Will focus on getting the base plate and auxiliary braking installed instead. The quotes I’ve gotten for that are rediculous!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Thanks. I may just let the dealer do this one. I’m not concerned that I can’t do it, but they quoted me 4 hours to install both and I do not think I can get it done that quickly myself. I already have the parts and they are fine installing even thought I didn’t buy them through the dealer. Will focus on getting the base plate and auxiliary braking installed instead. The quotes I’ve gotten for that are rediculous!
DIY... There is NO reason to remove any interior panels as you can easily run the forward wiring below the Wrangler. It is all plug and play really.
Sponsored