First Name
Zeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 Rubicon 392 & 2022 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Anyone asked specifically about the DPF considering they exclude “filters”? Likely to be the most frequent failure item over the long haul and not cheap to replace or clean out. That said, most are likely to require replacement over 100,000 miles so maybe a moot point.

F311A5C5-E2FB-4224-877C-8A698C9BDB89.jpeg
Good point - last thing we want is for them to deny a claim because the DPF isn’t covered. Also not related to MBI but I’ve had Geico close to 4 years now and they have never denied a claim or gave me a hard time with any of my services. This is the first time I will be adding MBI from them but I really want to read the fine print before I do.

99% percent of the time any customer service representative may say something is covered yet when it’s time to claim they can hit you with the “sorry this isn’t covered”.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Good point - last thing we want is for them to deny a claim because the DPF isn’t covered. Also not related to MBI but I’ve had Geico close to 4 years now and they have never denied a claim or gave me a hard time with any of my services. This is the first time I will be adding MBI from them but I really want to read the fine print before I do.

99% percent of the time any customer service representative may say something is covered yet when it’s time to claim they can hit you with the “sorry this isn’t covered”.
One of the downsides to researching the MBI is that I've only been able to speak with the telephone customer service reps. They really don't know much beyond the scripted stuff, and I doubt that they'll be able to give a definitive answer. GEICO's disqualification of filters is in the context of "regular maintenance" - I suspect their intent was short-lived filters (air/oil/cabin), not something like the DPF. BTW, what is the expected life of a DPF under ideal conditions? [ Certainly way longer than the routine maintenance filters I just mentioned, right? ]

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
One of the downsides to researching the MBI is that I've only been able to speak with the telephone customer service reps. They really don't know much beyond the scripted stuff, and I doubt that they'll be able to give a definitive answer. GEICO's disqualification of filters is in the context of "regular maintenance" - I suspect their intent was short-lived filters (air/oil/cabin), not something like the DPF. BTW, what is the expected life of a DPF under ideal conditions? [ Certainly way longer than the routine maintenance filters I just mentioned, right? ]
100-150,000 miles seems typical but my sample size is quite small. I’m sure one of the diesel mechanics who has seen a lot of VM diesels will have a better idea. As the injection mapping improves over time I bet the gen3 goes a bit longer before the DPF needs replacing.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
Mopar extended warranty doesn’t cover DPF, EGR and I think the SCR system IIRC.
I'm fairly certain the DPF is one piece with the catalytic converter so that would be covered under the emissions warranty. The EGR should also be covered under "mechanical" items on the higher end package unless you've seen something I haven't excluding it.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm fairly certain the DPF is one piece with the catalytic converter so that would be covered under the emissions warranty. The EGR should also be covered under "mechanical" items on the higher end package unless you've seen something I haven't excluding it.
They are not a single piece and DPFs are not covered under the federally mandated emissions warranty.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
They are not a single piece and DPFs are not covered under the federally mandated emissions warranty.
The parts diagram refer to both it and the SCR as "Catalytic Converter" is all I mean to point out. I would assume that means they are considered emissions devices but it also seems that everyone considers them wear items. I honestly don't know the truth because I got out of light truck diesel repair before all this emissions shit showed up.

Either way, after a cursory search, excluding the DPF and SCR are typical for most diesel plans so this isn't a Jeep/FCA thing.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The parts diagram refer to both it and the SCR as "Catalytic Converter" is all I mean to point out. I would assume that means they are considered emissions devices but it also seems that everyone considers them wear items. I honestly don't know the truth because I got out of light truck diesel repair before all this emissions shit showed up.

Either way, after a cursory search, excluding the DPF and SCR are typical for most diesel plans so this isn't a Jeep/FCA thing.
JLURD had mentioned that, under ideal conditions, the DPF could last 100,000+ miles. I would think that that takes them way out of the realm of wear items. GEICO would have to be looking for an escape clause in order to call it a routine maintenance item. My personal experience is that they are straighter shooters than that.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
JLURD had mentioned that, under ideal conditions, the DPF could last 100,000+ miles. I would think that that takes them way out of the realm of wear items. GEICO would have to be looking for an escape clause in order to call it a routine maintenance item. My personal experience is that they are straighter shooters than that.
No different than a clutch and much like a clutch, how you use it has a significant impact on how long it lasts. Driving 30k a year at crusing speeds and you'll see a long life out of it. Drive in slow traffic, short trips, or relatively low miles per year and the DPF will have a much shorter lifespan.

I've had fairly positive experiences with Geico as well but I'll also say that they write things for the layman. The DPF is considered a wear item by nearly the entire industry it sounds like and Geico likely isn't going to be calling out weird parts that aren't on 99% of vehicles.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
Starting to look into extended warranty for peace and mind given the new diesel can run into problems. From what I’m gathering the Mopar extended warranty doesn’t even cover some Main emission components so it defeats the purpose of getting the warranty however I’m reading Geico MBI will be much cheaper and covers everything.

Thoughts ?
Just a FYI, I talked to the Ford techs at Rush Ford in Orlando, I knew they baked Ford DPF by cutting the pipes off and after they looked at my DPF on the Jeep they can bake them also. I deal with trucks with 300,000 miles on the original DPF so as long as it can be baked replacement should only be needed if the filter cracks. If the DPF has too much soot, during regeneration the soot itself can start to catch on fire and overheat the DPF. This could cause the DPF to crack. IMO if you let the system regen when needed the DPF should be fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Platinum7990

Platinum7990

First Name
Zeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 Rubicon 392 & 2022 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Found this on Mopar site...

EXTENDED WARRANTY
FCA will provide an extended warranty for each eligible vehicle that receives the Approved Emissions Modification.
The extended warranty period is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles
on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage
of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Found this on Mopar site...

EXTENDED WARRANTY
FCA will provide an extended warranty for each eligible vehicle that receives the Approved Emissions Modification.
The extended warranty period is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles
on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage
of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first.
That sounds like it's referring to existing vehicles that are being retrofitted under a recall. Is your thought that this language sets a precedent for (emissions) warranty treatment of EGRs on newly manufactured Jeeps?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds like it's referring to existing vehicles that are being retrofitted under a recall. Is your thought that this language sets a precedent for (emissions) warranty treatment of EGRs on newly manufactured Jeeps?
It was a way to convince enough folks to comply with the recall such that FCA didn’t get a larger fine. VW did the same thing. Has nothing to do with current 3.0 gen3 engines, nor expected plans for their warranty options. If manufacturers start offering post-9/11-style amazing warranties to push sales again, you can bet your last dollar they’ll be carving out diesel components like EGRs and DPFs.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
It was a way to convince enough folks to comply with the recall such that FCA didn’t get a larger fine. VW did the same thing. Has nothing to do with current 3.0 gen3 engines, nor expected plans for their warranty options. If manufacturers start offering post-9/11-style amazing warranties to push sales again, you can bet your last dollar they’ll be carving out diesel components like EGRs and DPFs.
It wasn't court mandated?

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
It wasn't court mandated?
It wasn’t mandated but fca paid the original owner $3075 and gave the extended warranty, if he or she had the approved emission update done.
Sponsored