Sponsored

Mopar Cold Air Intake - Would you cut a hole in your hood for it?!

Eshord

First Name
Bentley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2D Sport
I called the dealerships body shop. It's a CAI only, and has no breather tube extensions for the transmission or the differentials.
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The JPP snorkel will provide cooler (and technically cleaner) air to the engine, which is never a bad thing. A common misconception is that a snorkel is solely for the purpose of sinking your Wrangler into water like a submarine. Granted, with proper sealing of electronics, differentials, and other components, you can do this, but a snorkel can act as a CAI with the benefit of better engine longevity, especially considering how much heat is retained under the hood. You aren't going to get measurable HP or torque gains, but a cooler engine is a happier engine.

I have found with a snorkel that I'm replacing air filters much less often since the Jeep isn't breathing in nearly as much dust. You wouldn't think moving the intake position up a couple feet would really make that much of a difference, but it really does.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I really like the look of that cutout on the hood without the snorkel. I would do that on my JL just for the aesthetics. Anyone else put one of these on?

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the look of that cutout on the hood without the snorkel. I would do that on my JL just for the aesthetics. Anyone else put one of these on?
Like this?

0E446268-4FE4-4E6E-9970-ACD1E31915D3.jpeg

0ADCDE80-E993-481A-AB6F-71E36F1864C3.jpeg

Sponsored

dpowell5523

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
i would like to find just the hood cut out and use it. no need for the rest of the intake. just want it pulling more outside air.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
i would like to find just the hood cut out and use it. no need for the rest of the intake. just want it pulling more outside air.
Rugged Ridge sells the amfib snorkel which has a low mount. Price is probably higher but if you'd rather not cut your hood it might be an option you like.

OMX-17756.31_1024x1024.png

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would get the whole package, the filter in the CAI is washable with water - in the field, and is more CFM, you can see the increase in diameter right up to the throttle body. I haven't cut the hood yet but noticed the torque/hp increase
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Cold Air Intake - Would you cut a hole in your hood for it?! 20201216_110756

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I installed one a couple weeks ago. I like it...
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Cold Air Intake - Would you cut a hole in your hood for it?! JL real hood intake vent

BTW, I already had a aFe dry washable filter for the stock filter housing. It has twice the depth of the Mopar filter included in kit and it fits. I now have the Mopar as a back up. If you have ever been to the Hammers races, you know. Haha, dry lake bed with 40+ thousand folks milling about on 4 wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: ML7

dpowell5523

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I would get the whole package, the filter in the CAI is washable with water - in the field, and is more CFM, you can see the increase in diameter right up to the throttle body. I haven't cut the hood yet but noticed the torque/hp increase
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Cold Air Intake - Would you cut a hole in your hood for it?! JL real hood intake vent

I already have the filter. Not sure which direction I want to go with it.

Sponsored

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mazda3 Hatch, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
What difference did you notice in sound and driving performance from stock intake set up with standard paper air filter?

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What difference did you notice in sound and driving performance from stock intake set up with standard paper air filter?
The sound will have a deeper growl when accelerating but not really much louder, you will notice a slight increase in torque/HP, not a big difference its still uses the emissions controls. with this and a cat-back my rig accelerates like stock wheels with 37s - almost.

DustyWillys

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I'm considering getting this for my 2020 Willys. Can anyone provide a measurement of where the cutout on the hood is (I.E. how many inches back from the front edge of the hood). I'm curious if it will affect my "Willys" decal.
Thanks in advance!

LT1Chevy210

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Ecodiesel, 2023 JL 2.0L, 2019 Duramax
I'm considering getting this for my 2020 Willys. Can anyone provide a measurement of where the cutout on the hood is (I.E. how many inches back from the front edge of the hood). I'm curious if it will affect my "Willys" decal.
Thanks in advance!
Here's a picture of my Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Cold Air Intake - Would you cut a hole in your hood for it?! 20210311_185122