Sponsored

Mopar Cold Air Intake - Would you cut a hole in your hood for it?!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
A basic wrangler is able to cut thru water up to 30" at 5mph. Why would you ever want a snorkel?
mand any deeper you need to pull your floor plugs and let water into the cab of the vehicle... unless you live in a very rugged remote condition and work as some kind of back woods rescue worker, I can’t really see this being worth it..I mean at some point you just got say this is a 40-60k vehicle I am gonna find a bridge

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Sorry to revive this thread, read through it and was wondering if anyone here added the Mopar Snorkel to the CAI? In my case I ordered the Rubi with the CAI from the factory, so it came installed but without the cutout and hood piece. It seems that they did this marketing-wise so you could add the snorkel later? which then comes with the appropriate cut-out parts? Confused about it.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
mand any deeper you need to pull your floor plugs and let water into the cab of the vehicle... unless you live in a very rugged remote condition and work as some kind of back woods rescue worker, I can’t really see this being worth it..I mean at some point you just got say this is a 40-60k vehicle I am gonna find a bridge
I snorkled mine and moved the breathers too, because i do cross water often, and the roads where i live are extremely dusty. seems to help keep my filter much more clean than without it. I wouldnt say its a worth while modification for city folk or mall crawlers. JMHO

MarkM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Project Manager
Oh goodie, I see a lot going on here.

First off, and I agree, don't rail on somone for doing what they want to do. We all love our Jeeps and all have ideas of where we want it to go! No harm in that. I am NOT a fan of angry grills, but if somone else likes it, go for it!

As for the cold air intake, this is always a slug fest. In terms of "cold air" the factory system is usually fair to middling. The problem is that in the hopes of keeping noise and costs down, the actual entrance to the system is usually under the hood and will pick up some degree of "Radiator" air, IE, already warmer than ambient. The Wranglers do have a tube from the grill that comes up under the airbox and helps, but it is not the best system.

I just love when the entire airbox is removed in favor of a cone system that no longer has any control over where the air comes from. A steel panel between the cone filter and the engine bay is a step backwards to me. Again, to each their own.

I went with the Mopar system for several reasons. Number one, as mentioned before, hood scoops, etc. do help by pulling air that has not already been heated.

Number two, the kit adds an exterior intake that circumvents underhood air. it is not simply a steel plate that has no way of controlling where the air comes from. I left the little air tube in as it adds more cool air around the airbox, which also helps.

Third, just like non-OEM systems, the intake runner between the airbox and throttle body is improved. In this case, the sound chambers are gone and the tube is considerably larger between the two. These changes do help. The cooler air is noticeable, about 10-15 degrees on the temp sensor, and the larger tubing without restrictions helps in keeping a solid column of air pushing up against the TB.
You will see improvements in this. Aside from the intake noise, which is cool, you feel the improved throttle response and the engine does pull a little better throughout the range and does not feel winded up high. Highway passing is better.

Lastly, the upgraded system is the best integrated into the factory system. It reuses the filter box, but adds the hood opening and the larger cover and runner to the TB. It also come with a higher performance reusable filter, which is nice. Since it is made by Jeep, they would best know where they implemented noise and cost control measures and how to improve upon them. Also, it's not voiding the warranty being from the factory. My local dealer had never seen one installed until I showed up and they had a lot of questions about it. They like it!

So, do what you want. I just analyze everything and at the end of the day, the OEM system looked to be the best compared to "open" systems that don't nearly the open air the factory system gets.

Just my $.02 and I love feedback!

Last edited:

Sponsored

MarkM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Project Manager
Sorry to revive this thread, read through it and was wondering if anyone here added the Mopar Snorkel to the CAI? In my case I ordered the Rubi with the CAI from the factory, so it came installed but without the cutout and hood piece. It seems that they did this marketing-wise so you could add the snorkel later? which then comes with the appropriate cut-out parts? Confused about it.
My understanding is that the Mopar CAI system and the snorkel both use the same cutout. If you look under a stock hood, you can see where there are provisions for future modifications.

There is a template, reinforcement bracket, etc. that go along with the CAI. They should have supplied the hood opening grill/cover, bracket, epoxy, etc. somewhere in the vehicle as it is part of the system. Otherwise, while you get the benefits of the larger runner, it is still wolfing in hotter underhood air.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Oh goodie, I see a lot going on here.

First off, and I agree, don't rail on somone for doing what they want to do. We all love our Jeeps and all have ideas of where we want it to go! No harm in that. I am NOT a fan of angry grills, but if somone else likes it, go for it!

As for the cold air intake, this is always a slug fest. In terms of "cold air" the factory system is usually fair to middling. The problem is that in the hopes of keeping noise and costs down, the actual entrance to the system is usually under the hood and will pick up some degree of "Radiator" air, IE, already warmer than ambient. The Wranglers do have a tube from the grill that comes up under the airbox and helps, but it is not the best system.

I just love when the entire airbox is removed in favor of a cone system that no longer has any control over where the air comes from. A steel panel between the cone filter and the engine bay is a step backwards to me. Again, to each their own.

I went with the Mopar system for several reasons. Number one, as mentioned before, hood scoops, etc. do help by pulling air that has not already been heated.

Number two, the kit adds an exterior intake that circumvents underhood air. it is not simply a steel plate that has no way of controlling where the air comes from. I left the little air tube in as it adds more cool air around the airbox, which also helps.

Third, just like non-OEM systems, the intake runner between the airbox and throttle body is improved. In this case, the sound chambers are gone and the tube is considerably larger between the two. These changes do help. The cooler air is noticeable about 18 degrees on the temp sensor, and the larger tubing without restrictions helps in keeping a solid column of air pushing up against the TB. You will see improvements in this. Aside from the intake noise, which is cool, you feel the improved throttle response and the engine does pull a little better throughout the range and does not feel winded up high.

Lastly, the system is the best integrated into the factory system. It reuses the box, but adds the hood opening and the larger runner. It also come with a higher performance reusable filter, which is nice. Since it is made by Jeep, they would best know where they implemented noise control and cost mesaures and can readily defeat them. Also, its not voiding the warranty. My local dealer had never seen one installed until I showed up and they had a lot of questions about it. They like it!

So, do what you want. I just analyze everything and at the end of the day, the OEM system looked to be the best compared to "open" systems that don't nearly the open air the factory system gets.
What temp sensor is showing 18 degrees cooler air?

MarkM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Project Manager
I wish they had a modular option, like you could add a piece to make it a snorkel or leave the piece off for a CAI. That would be the best of both worlds....
If you look at the factory upgrade kit, there isn't a lot of modular capability to it. You could use just the improved filter, but why? Just buy that part alone if you want to.
You have to replace the airbox lid if you use the runner to the throttle body as the lid has a larger opening to accomodate the larger runner.

After that, the only other part is the opening for the hood, which a lot of people are hesitant to do, it adds a little to the fear factor! Once the dremel hit the aluminum, I was commited!

Last edited:

MarkM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Project Manager
I had been playing with an OBD reader for a while before doing the conversion. It gives real time readings of all sorts of parameters such as the Air Intake Temp as the computer sees it.

Keep in mind, it floats around. I noticed that as I drove more, it moved up a few degrees. I think this is due to heat soak under the hood. For a while the engine is up to temperature, but things like the battery, airbox, etc. are still cooler. Once those heat up as well, the initial high swing of 18 degrees falls off a bit. Colder days tend to see the intake temps cooler, even after consistant driving. This is why I am curious abour people opening up the vents on Rubicon hoods.

I have a blanket material designed for motorcycles that I will try at some point to see if it helps with heated plastics.

It's not really that high up the list to do as these engines will not easily perform like a Hemi, etc. They do respond to tuning, exhausts, better intake flow/temps, etc. but not of other options exist, aside from computer reprogramming or the like. Not quiet ready to do all of that yet. Yet.

Last edited:

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
My understanding is that the Mopar CAI system and the snorkel both use the same cutout. If you look under a stock hood, you can see where there are provisions for future modifications.

There is a template, reinforcement bracket, etc. that go along with the CAI. They should have supplied the hood opening grill/cover, bracket, epoxy, etc. somewhere in the vehicle as it is part of the system. Otherwise, while you get the benefits of the larger runner, it is still wolfing in hotter underhood air.
Nothing supplied when I picked up the Rubi- There was no kit (I've seen that kit in pictures- has the epoxy, alcohol, plastic housing and template), and when asked about it at the dealer- they had no clue. I have also found that others have confirmed that the kit was not included with the vehicle extras upon picking it up. Seems like up their alley to do something like that- to make the purchaser seek out the parts with little luck, then having to buy the snorkel to "complete" the kit properly. Just not sure...

Sponsored

MarkM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Project Manager
Not surprised if they do that. Jeep proper seems somewhat responsive to customers, but dealers treat everything like the wild west.

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L, 2021 JL 392
Has anyone solved whether the factory ordered CAI works with a JPP snorkel?

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I wish that I could just buy the hood cutout bezel pieces. I'm fine with the stock intake tube and paper filter, but want the cooler air.

I wonder, would anyone that did not want to cut their hood want to sell just those pieces?

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Ok my 2022 Sahara has what is basically a cold air intake from the factory. I did not order a CAI, but what is in the picture is a CAI. It does not connect to the outside air through any cutout, but all I would have to do is get a kit to convert it. The Mopar CAI was a larger throat to take in more air and would connect through the hood, and then possibly to a snorkel if so equipped. This was free from the factory...

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Cold Air Intake - Would you cut a hole in your hood for it?! 1662567373146
Sponsored