Sponsored

Mopar Cold Air Intake /w Hood Cutout for 2.0?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I know that the Mopar Performance CAI is designed for the 3.6 and that the intake tube is different.

But has anyone tried to install it on the 2.0, minus the intake tube?
Since the air box and the scoop is the same, I don't see why you can't just do the cut out in the same location and let in some more cold air into the engine bay.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Cold Air Intake /w Hood Cutout for 2.0? 1618601831323

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Cold Air Intake /w Hood Cutout for 2.0? 1618601933162
Sponsored

ecowan1

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I wish Mopar would release their cold air intake for the 2.0 turbo. I know some don’t like the hood cut…. But I do!
Check out S&B, I went with their set up. I got their cold air intake, along with their two hood scoop option. About $650 total if i remember.

Sponsored

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Those are seriously awesome, almost makes me want to do a Rubi hood swap.

I wish Mopar would release their cold air intake for the 2.0 turbo. I know some don’t like the hood cut…. But I do!
I'll echo this and wonder if the CEL issues aftermarket manufacturers have experienced is the cause for Mopar's reluctance to offer one. Seems to be the only logical explanation.

I went with the Rugged Ridge AMFIB. No hood cutting and a true CAI also. Not without its own issues but a few 3D printed parts and you're good to go.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rugged-ridge-jl-jt-snorkel-kit-installed.40431/page-9
This is the route I'm going to take with mine also. Add in a conical drop-in from AFE and call it good.

Deleted member 43521

I would love it!!! I actually made my own (like this) to my TJ

Steve Jennings

First Name
Not Now
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.neveragain.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Scooter
Occupation
Trust Funder
How do you plan to measure the actual functionality of a hood scoop in that location on a Jeep hood?

Deleted member 43521

How do you plan to measure the actual functionality of a hood scoop in that location on a Jeep hood?
Most air that is sucked through the o/e setup is inside the engine compartment. With this being right in line with the intake, it would be using the outside ambient air instead of the engine air. Also the functionality of it is the same as the functionality of the grill

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
You have to wonder with the absolutely huge market for Jeep mods why Jeep themselves don’t have a HUGE catalog of aftermarket stuff for our Jeeps-I know they have some stuff, but seriously there could be a huge amount of “factory” aftermarket parts. Just a thought…

Deleted member 43521

You have to wonder with the absolutely huge market for Jeep mods why Jeep themselves don’t have a HUGE catalog of aftermarket stuff for our Jeeps-I know they have some stuff, but seriously there could be a huge amount of “factory” aftermarket parts. Just a thought…
So I have always wondered why there isn’t a huge market for “stuff” for vehicles. Well after speaking with some car reps, the reason there isn’t is due to the market for “other than stock” parts is because the mass majority of vehicle owners are content with a stock automobile. The few of us that want to modify and enhance for our own personal reasons is small. That is why there are so many “aftermarket” company’s. Automakers can’t appeal to the whole so they appeal to the majority.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Most air that is sucked through the o/e setup is inside the engine compartment. With this being right in line with the intake, it would be using the outside ambient air instead of the engine air. Also the functionality of it is the same as the functionality of the grill
Not quite. The factory air box gets its air from a "pre chamber" that is between the box and the fender. This chamber is sealed off (as much as possible) from the engine compartment. In an OE configuration, it gets its air from the gap between the fender and hood, and from a duct that runs from the front grille to this same chamber. There are posts on the duct floating around this forum. Im not 100% sure its on all models and all years.

In low speed applications, I can see how the Mopar CAI cut out can supply ambient air to that pre chamber but in high speed applications, I would love to see what the engineers were thinking especially when you factor in the duct previously mentioned.

Deleted member 43521

Not quite. The factory air box gets its air from a "pre chamber" that is between the box and the fender. This chamber is sealed off (as much as possible) from the engine compartment. In an OE configuration, it gets its air from the gap between the fender and hood, and from a duct that runs from the front grille to this same chamber. There are posts on the duct floating around this forum. Im not 100% sure its on all models and all years.

In low speed applications, I can see how the Mopar CAI cut out can supply ambient air to that pre chamber but in high speed applications, I would love to see what the engineers were thinking especially when you factor in the duct previously mentioned.
The area you speak of is so small that at any speed it would not support the amount air need. So pulling air from engine bay would have to be used in conjunction with the air from the slot on the grill. Also the area you speak of on the passenger side is about 2x2.5. If anything is placed ( winch, lights, etc,) near it that will hinder the flow. Also I agree that at higher speeds the flow would be negative with that CAI from mopar. I feel it would actually be negative as it could cause a vacuum effect at higher speeds. By higher speeds I am referring to any above 65mph.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Airaid makes a good looking intake for the 2.0. There is a velocity stack under the filter, I've found these are amazing for power and sound. It's $429.
I have the 3.6 but with a Blackhawk intake that emulates this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Cold Air Intake /w Hood Cutout for 2.0? 1643216156281
Sponsored