Sponsored

Mopar Calibration for 35s (was I ripped off?)

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Yep - you got screwed. The labor charge was typical but they should not have charged you to purchase software they likely didn’t have already. This is no different than them charging you for a special wrench or tool they need to purchase to do a repair on your Jeep. I would be curious if they charge the next customer who needs the calibration 130 or 336. I would bet 130.

Back2jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 392, 2017 Rubi Recon, 1979 CJ-7, et. al.
File a case against them in small claims court for misquoting you the amount and trying to charge you bogus fees for a simple ECU setting change.
Before you do this - usually the dealer will have you sign the work order for what the charges are going to be before you leave. If they didn’t, or if you did sign off on the work order that was only $130, then that’s even more suspect and if this happens, you might have a leg to stand on.

If you signed a work order with that charge there, don’t bother filing in court. You’ll be out more with the filing fee and the judge is just going to say - you paid it. Same with your credit card company. If you choose to anyway, you could make the argument you had to have the car back and you paid under duress.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Don’t do this. You’ll be out more with the filing fee and the judge is just going to say - you paid it. If you didn’t pay it before you left that’s a different story.
Well, I didn't predict the outcome, and I don't think either of us can, but if nobody ever does anything in response to dealers being dishonest, then they will continue to be.

Sponsored

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
The Tazer is reverse engineered from a black box. I don't trust it.

A "calibration" could simply mean a speedometer correction, or it could mean the entire shift and fuel map was changed to account for the tires. Hard to say - especially without a sales code - usually is associated with a dealer firmware change.

Sux having no idea wtf you are buying or what it does - even if it were explained to you.

If it was just a speedometer change, they didn't download any firmware - that is, they didn't need to. Lol. If they did reflash something more sophisticated, that Tazer wouldn't match it - not in this lifetime.

As for the charge - eat, it - and better luck next time catching and disputing it before you sign the dotted line.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
If all they did was a speedo calibration then you were absolutely ripped off. And I doubt you’ll be able to argue the money back.

Personally I skipped a tazer and went to jscan to change speedo and verified with gps.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I too my 21 JLU in for a tire calibration after putting on 35s. I was told over the phone that it would cost me about $130 for the calibration. After dropping it off the dealership calls me and says it's gonna cost me $336.00, because they have to do a download and that's the charge in the computer for the 2021 JLs (mind you I also have a 2019 JL and the cost was about 130.00 with the download). So I get there to pick it up and the guys says "Oh, we signed you up for a service warranty that ends tomorrow. The warranty allows you to get future software updates for free/lifetime, and that's the extra $186.00 charge you see on the invoice. Yeah this ends tomorrow so we signed you up so that you don't miss out." So, the dealership just volunteered me to pay an extra $186.00 wtf. You can see the (CSLSC) charge on the invoice. To tell you the truth I don't even understand what the guy was telling me about the extra $186. My depiction above is only my best approximation of the vague crap that the guy told me. Anyone else come across this. Hell, at 336.00 I could have just bought the damn tazer tool. Something smells very fishy here.

calib1.png

calib-2.png
I went from the OEM 33" tires to 35" tires. The recalibration fee is determined by FCA, not the dealer. The recalibration fee for me was $120.00 back in May 2021. I think the additional fee the dealer charged you is BS.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The only way you can get anything back is if you can prove they signed you up without your consent. It is illegal for any mechanic to install or fix anything on your car without your prior consent. If they did not then you will have a chance, you won't get the 120 back but the 186 maybe.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
$130 for the labor to calibrate the computer? Lol. Takes less than 5 minutes.
Id tell them to take all that sht back and get a tazer
Have you ever used a witech? It isn’t a 5 minute job and there is a service charge just for the software permission to get into the damn thing.

The replies to this thread show some of the worst attitudes humanity has to offer.

Sponsored

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
You guys are all very high tech, LOL!
When I went from 33s to 35s I just did some experiments and determined my speedometer is off 1mph per 10mph driven now. For example if it says I'm going 35, I'm actually going 38...and if it says I'm going 52, I'm actually going 57.
If the OP is from the City or Long Island...I can think of 3 Jeep dealers that would totally screw you, and two that are honest and reliable. So I would bet I can guess which dealership OP went to.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
"ripped off" is a relative term. You definately paid too much imo. Tazer or Superchips is $200ish dollars and does much more than calibrate tires.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I think everybody that suggests you "just eat it" is why these things happen in the first place. NO WAY you allow them to get away with charging you more than double what the service should cost. I am in the camp that would be at the dealer making a scene if the additional charge were not reversed. That is THEFT, pure and simple and tolerating a bully doing that to you ensures they try it again. I would start with a visit and escalate to a protest with the CC company. If they declined to do the right thing I would lambaste them on every social media outlet that would allow it.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Have you ever used a witech? It isn’t a 5 minute job and there is a service charge just for the software permission to get into the damn thing.
To be clear - he paid $186 for a $35 flash token that he didn’t need.

Reading a bit into it, the 186 might have been a sku for token, tax and labor - the 130 was a double charge for scan tool labor flat charge - guy who invoiced him was either greedy, clueless or both.

If it were me at this point - filing a cc dispute is ez pz - worst case they deny it. Claim a double charge - you owe the 186, file the dispute for the 130 back. Odds are they bought you a token and it’s good for a year and it’s non-refundable. Getting into an argument with the morons causing your problems is always a no-go.

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

The replies to this thread show some of the worst attitudes humanity has to offer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Calibration for 35s (was I ripped off?) 5816EE02-FF2A-42F4-A1FF-FB1113CA44CB
Sponsored