Sponsored

Mopar CAI kit installed on JL today. Feedback / review.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys and gals.

I have been interested in the RR CAI since last year's SEMA show as well. I actually called Omix ADA today and inquired about a "real life" ETA on the CAI system. The rep was very friendly and seemed very knowledgeable about the progress of the CAI, and the LED DRL kits they teased us with at SEMA 2018. I was actually pretty impressed how he spoke with me for about 10 minutes and didn't just blow me off. According to our conversation, the CAI will be available to pre-order in late November or December and actually start shipping in January 2020. The LED DRL lights and brackets will be more like late summer/fall 2020 and will be displayed better at SEMA this year, since last year's were just thrown together for the show and weren't really supposed to be produced. He told me that they had such an overwhelming response to the LED's that they decided to pursue them, but were having issues getting them bright enough for DOT to approve them.

Anyway, that's the story I got today from them. I am too impatient to wait another few months for the RR CAI, so I ordered the Mopar one today. Should be here in 5-7 days.
Great info! I'm not surprised that Quadratec's expected shipping date looks to be too optimistic. They've done that before. However, I still appreciate them because they will take early orders and will generally ship them out in significant numbers quicker than most retailers.
Sponsored

N.C. Jeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Real Estate- I can help you buy or sell anywhere!
Great info! I'm not surprised that Quadratec's expected shipping date looks to be too optimistic. They've done that before. However, I still appreciate them because they will take early orders and will generally ship them out in significant numbers quicker than most retailers.

That's been my experience as well. They have always had great customer service when I've dealt with them and I've never been let down.

Here's to hoping for a quick release of the RR CAI :beer:

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
My response was to a question about the 2.0, and colder intake temperatures alone will result in little if any peak power gains (on the 2.0). Mishimoto has spend a lot of time developing a higher flowing intake & downpipe only to get no peak torque improvements. The ECU is limiting torque output to 295 lb-ft (400 Nm). The most you could hope for is that the peak torque is extended to later in the rev-range, which could result in a greater peak HP number. See Mishimoto's post here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-performance-intake.20107/page-11#post-861983
Looking at their explanation, I'm surprised how people who do this for a living can come up with something like this...

We had worked for months on our high-flowing intake only to find that it made the 2.0T Hurricane engine less powerful in the RPM range that counts the most. Instead of a torquey and responsive engine that made peak power at 3,250 RPM, our intake shifted peak power up to 4,500 RPM, making the JL feel laggy and sluggish. 1,250 RPM isnā€™t a huge gap, but when most of your driving is done below 4,000 RPM, it can make a huge difference.

MMAI-JLH_Prototype_Dyno.jpg
Anyone with eyes looking at the graph can see that while the measured peak torque of the prototype comes in later, at the RPM at which the stock intake makes the peak torque, the prototype's torque is the same or higher than stock. The prototype's torque difference at the 3300 peak and the 4300 peak are negligible to say one is higher than the other.

Let's say they did, the differences are not statistically significant and little changes due to heat soak and air density/temperature can throw things off. I wonder how they picked this particular run also because they don't seem to understand how to read a graph.

What's funny is they never mentioned the giant difference between the curves below 2600 RPM for both torque and power! The prototype has the light curves and the stock has the dark curves and I'm not in opposite world, right? :surprised:

All was not lost, however. We looked back at the stock intake and found part of our solution. The branch resonators that we previously thought only affected the intakeā€™s sound appeared to play a much larger role in performance. A little research combined with our engineerā€™s expertise revealed that the branch resonators on the stock intake tube also functioned as Helmholtz resonators.
I'm surprised why they thought a branch resonator doesn't follow the Helmholtz resonance principles.

I've now lost faith in their products. Thought they made some good radiators and once I almost had a good stock radiator replaced with one of theirs. Each to their own...

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
He wasn't as distraught as I would have been, though. He was a multi-millionaire and said he'd have the engine replaced in a matter of weeks, which he did. If I'd done that in my little $11k YJ, I'd have been jumping off a bridge, cursing the whole way down.
Reminds of the early 2000s when I was riding with a friend in a hummer rally. Hummer had sent a preproduction H2 to test along the H1ā€™s. Friend hit a boulder sliding down a decline and half rolled. Laughing he said that was about 20k of damage. H2 broke a rear window due to the frame flexing but everyone was impressed with it otherwise.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Lol

(1st page/last page)

20191027_002544.jpg

20191027_002557.jpg
LOL... funny

but on last page did you keep reading? Iā€™m on the floor with the ā€œPlease use common senseā€....

read the rest..donā€™t want to spoil the humour for you :CWL:

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
The prototype's torque difference at the 3300 peak and the 4300 peak are negligible to say one is higher than the other.
That's my whole point. The 2.0 will not show any real peak torque gains from a CAI. Peak torque is being limited by the ECU, which is also why the motor makes exactly peak torque from 3000-4500 RPM. If the ECU was not limiting torque, the peak torque would be only a 100-200 RPM window.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Actually, drifting back to Wrangler land, why not a hood scoop directly over the intake manifold? Yes, the intake along the hood's side looks very cool and integrated, but a low, flat hood scoop in the area of the intake manifold would shorten the run and might provide an increase--maybe tiny--in cold air intake flow.
You would have to get really creative with placing a filter in that location which would probably have to be small and sitting over the engine, be prone to more heat soak. Keeping the intake where it is and funneling fresh cold air is the best bet.

Hmmm. A new challenge. Are there any designers out there who could design a hood scoop that would look "good" on a Wrangler?
Hmmm..if only someone already made something like this ;)

Cowl induction probably would have a lot of air pressure because of the upright windshield.
At high speeds yes but at crawling speeds, the path of the air travels through the engine bay resulting in more heat soak.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
That's my whole point. The 2.0 will not show any real peak torque gains from a CAI. Peak torque is being limited by the ECU, which is also why the motor makes exactly peak torque from 3000-4500 RPM. If the ECU was not limiting torque, the peak torque would be only a 100-200 RPM window.
That should be fixable with a dyno tune and if going down that path, better get a high flow exhaust and tune it for higher octane fuel. Will probably add 20% power gains at most.

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
What are the performances benefits of adding this (Mopar CAI) to a 3.6?

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Hey, TOTL, that H.E.R.O. Hood looks kinda' nice! I sort of walked right into that one, didn't I!

BTW, your website doesn't indicate that you're in Colorado (which is a plus location in my mind). Also, it doesn't specify if the hood is steel, aluminum, fiberglass, or whatever. A bit more detail would help.

Good Luck in your ventures!

Sponsored

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Hey, TOTL, that H.E.R.O. Hood looks kinda' nice! I sort of walked right into that one, didn't I!

BTW, your website doesn't indicate that you're in Colorado (which is a plus location in my mind). Also, it doesn't specify if the hood is steel, aluminum, fiberglass, or whatever. A bit more detail would help.

Good Luck in your ventures!
We dont have an actual store front and we ship just about everywhere so we didnt list Colorado as our location.

Our JK Hood description has fiberglass listed but our JL Hood does not - Good catch! I will get that resolved.

Thank you!!!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@BikiniJLR and @BrntWS6 how does it sound? Did it get deeper, throatier, meaner? Is there a whistle? Or is the sound about the same, better, or worse? Looking forward to hearing a good description of what it did for you!

@BrntWS6, it will also be interesting to hear the difference between uncut hood and cut hood with the new CAI, too!

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
@BikiniJLR and @BrntWS6 how does it sound? Did it get deeper, throatier, meaner? Is there a whistle? Or is the sound about the same, better, or worse? Looking forward to hearing a good description of what it did for you!

@BrntWS6, it will also be interesting to hear the difference between uncut hood and cut hood with the new CAI, too!
I am very particular about sound. I prefer things quiet so i was really paying attention to engine noise after the install.
I noticed no sound difference at all. I did a before and after with a sound meter and the mopar was actually quieter by 2 DB at idle. This was with the meter placed in the same spot near the intake with the hood up. Noticed no difference in sound driving around either.

Only thing i can't attest to is WOT difference. I have actually never floored the jeep so i have nothing to compare the mopar intake to.

I was giving the computer some time to adjust and monitoring my mpg for bit to see if there is any change before I cut the hood. It is up slightly so far....about .5 mpg. Not sure if its the intake or not, going to wait a bit longer and see if it goes up any more.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am very particular about sound. I prefer things quiet so i was really paying attention to engine noise after the install.
I noticed no sound difference at all. I did a before and after with a sound meter and the mopar was actually quieter by 2 DB at idle. This was with the meter placed in the same spot near the intake with the hood up. Noticed no difference in sound driving around either.

Only thing i can't attest to is WOT difference. I have actually never floored the jeep so i have nothing to compare the mopar intake to.

I was giving the computer some time to adjust and monitoring my mpg for bit to see if there is any change before I cut the hood. It is up slightly so far....about .5 mpg. Not sure if its the intake or not, going to wait a bit longer and see if it goes up any more.
What I'm hoping for is what you describe as no difference for normal driving. However, I like some good engine sound when nailing it, so maybe @BikiniJLR can give some feedback on that. The Magnaflow axle back on my JL is pretty quiet when cruising but when you open it up, the sound is more aggressive and better than stock, and marginally louder. It is kind of the best of both worlds. I've heard from a couple people with AFE CAI's on their JL's (with manual transmission) say that it really compliments their axle back exhausts.

Thanks for the report! I think at least so far what you've reported is good news. Let me know if you hear a difference when that cutout gets opened up. I suspect it won't make much, if any, difference except in getting colder air to the intake.

Also, let us know how the cutting goes!