Sponsored

Mopar CAI kit installed on JL today. Feedback / review.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
That's a 3D printed prototype but yes it looks better plus no cutting but the Mopar one is less restrictive.
Ya but you have to cut part of the Rubicon Sticker. That alone restricts Horsepower by like 10 horses :)

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Ya but you have to cut part of the Rubicon Sticker. That alone restricts Horsepower by like 10 horses :)
That is my biggest worry too tbh. In Australia and Europe we have a steel hood and this might not even fit... but the decal cutting is the deal breaker

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Forgot about NACA ducts, supposedly more flow with less resistance. Flush on the surface, with the duct dropping inward...
ferrari-f40.jpg

Whether this would be effective at "Wrangler speed," that's another story.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Rubileon, if I recall, that export steel hood has a big forward bulge. That might be a good place for a CAI, but you would have to cut metal, something I think you've already said you don't want to do.

To all, regarding cutting the OEM Rubicon sticker, our resident custom and stock decal-maker pixiedecals may be able to create a shortened "RUBICON" sticker to fit behind the CAI, or they may be able to split the sticker in an attractive way. Either way, it looks like the OEM sticker is toast if you install the Mopar CAI.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
That's a 3D printed prototype but yes it looks better plus no cutting but the Mopar one is less restrictive.
I have seen the production version, it looks just as good as the one here. They are not body color by default, but would be easy to paint.

I was disappointed in the final production product for the Rugged Ridge bumper and fender chop from SEMA 2018, but seems like the CAI is much better.

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
Ok I am stepping into something totally new to me and I know nothing about it, but it started with "hey, that Rugged Ridge thingy looks cool, what does that do?" And it only got better, so now I have questions. Will a CAI make a difference on the JL 2.0 Turbo? And if so where do I find that one on the orange jeep in the picture, on the website I only find this ...
https://ruggedridge.com/jeep-accessories/engine-underhood/cold-air-intakes.html

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone who tries to ford water to that height in these things is a fool. So many computers and electronics to fry.
That's not the issue. The issue is a bow wave and managing it. Your Jeep would float (with doors on) if the water got above the fender, and then you'd be at risk of it capsizing. The problem is when a wave gets over the hood. It should be water tight enough not to allow your engine to ingest water and hydro-lock. I witnessed a Hummer H1 get hydrolocked in water my YJ with stock tires had just crossed. The wave went over the hood when he hit a hole and water was ingested into the standard intake, which is right at the base of the windshield on the passenger side.

My Yj did get across the water, but I wound up damaging my ring and pinion gears because of water intrusion into the axles. (I checked them, but the water hadn't worked into the gear oil yet, so it looked ok. If I'd driven a few miles before checking, I would have seen it turn milky. Lesson learned.) That sucked, but beat the hell out of having to get a new engine or a rebuild. That's why I don't play much around water anymore, unless forced. BUT, it also explains why I wouldn't be happy with a snorkel that allows water intrusion at the fender level. My friends in Australia and South Africa run snorkels and they almost never cross water. They have them for dust. Still, they very much dislike two piece snorkels for this very reason. They do have flash flooding, and there could be a situation where they are forced to go through water.

The last thing I don't like about the Mopar snorkel is the lack of provision to change the intake by adding a dust separator. Look up AEV and even Rugged Ridge, and you'll see two types of dust separators. My main purpose for the snorkel would be to reduce dust ingestion, so I'd want to be able to pop one of these on there if going to the Southwest.

Anyway, right now, I'm still interested in the CAI attributes of the Mopar unit. I wouldn't want to pay $750 anyway for their snorkel, even if it worked as I'd like.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I also like the fact that the RR CAI is back on the cowl away from the front of the hood where water can get in easier on a river crossing. Add to that the lack of snorkel intake along the hood when you are in snorkel mode and I'd say it's the winner. The Mopar CAI does look good though and the little door is a great addition.
That is almost right where it was on the Hummer H1 that I saw get hydro-locked. In the Hummer, it was actually a little higher and had a mushroom cap over it. The wave came right up on it, from over the hood. My little YJ had the air intake lower, but placed similarly behind the grill as it is in the JL. It turned out to be superior, in that case, as it stayed in the air pocket behind the bow wave created by the grille. There actually is a great deal of thought and experience in the stock air intake. It does what it is supposed to do and does it very well.

The sad thing was that the guy with the Hummer had a 2 or 2.5 foot high air intake extension sitting at home in his garage. He had not gotten around to installing it. He wasn't as distraught as I would have been, though. He was a multi-millionaire and said he'd have the engine replaced in a matter of weeks, which he did. If I'd done that in my little $11k YJ, I'd have been jumping off a bridge, cursing the whole way down.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Will a CAI make a difference on the JL 2.0 Turbo?
Peak power will remain the same, as it is limited by the ECU. You may have slight power gains elsewhere due to the reduction in heat soak though.

Sponsored

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
Is the Rugged Ridge CAI actually available for purchase?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Peak power will remain the same, as it is limited by the ECU. You may have slight power gains elsewhere due to the reduction in heat soak though.
There's more area in the ducting for heat soak because the ducting is internal and go closely to the exhaust and cats.

As for power gains, you'll feel like there are gains even if it reduces the power a bit... that's why people spend 400-500 on these.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
There's more area in the ducting for heat soak because the ducting is internal and go closely to the exhaust and cats.

As for power gains, you'll feel like there are gains even if it reduces the power a bit... that's why people spend 400-500 on these.
My response was to a question about the 2.0, and colder intake temperatures alone will result in little if any peak power gains (on the 2.0). Mishimoto has spend a lot of time developing a higher flowing intake & downpipe only to get no peak torque improvements. The ECU is limiting torque output to 295 lb-ft (400 Nm). The most you could hope for is that the peak torque is extended to later in the rev-range, which could result in a greater peak HP number. See Mishimoto's post here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-performance-intake.20107/page-11#post-861983

N.C. Jeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Real Estate- I can help you buy or sell anywhere!

Hey guys and gals.

I have been interested in the RR CAI since last year's SEMA show as well. I actually called Omix ADA today and inquired about a "real life" ETA on the CAI system. The rep was very friendly and seemed very knowledgeable about the progress of the CAI, and the LED DRL kits they teased us with at SEMA 2018. I was actually pretty impressed how he spoke with me for about 10 minutes and didn't just blow me off. According to our conversation, the CAI will be available to pre-order in late November or December and actually start shipping in January 2020. The LED DRL lights and brackets will be more like late summer/fall 2020 and will be displayed better at SEMA this year, since last year's were just thrown together for the show and weren't really supposed to be produced. He told me that they had such an overwhelming response to the LED's that they decided to pursue them, but were having issues getting them bright enough for DOT to approve them.

Anyway, that's the story I got today from them. I am too impatient to wait another few months for the RR CAI, so I ordered the Mopar one today. Should be here in 5-7 days.
Sponsored