Sponsored

Mopar CAI kit installed on JL today. Feedback / review.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Just read the instructions. So many areas of potential "gotcha!" Cutting highly visible body parts like hoods isn't for the faint-hearted. Hate to see what a dealer would charge to do it right. Not sure they would do any better than DIYers, as few dealers would have trained their personnel in the installation of this rarish accessory.

I look forward to others' experiences with this accessory--both in installation and results!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just read the instructions. So many areas of potential "gotcha!" Cutting highly visible body parts like hoods isn't for the faint-hearted. Hate to see what a dealer would charge to do it right. Not sure they would do any better than DIYers, as few dealers would have trained their personnel in the installation of this rarish accessory.

I look forward to others' experiences with this accessory--both in installation and results!
The fact you can use the Mopar snorkel with this is great, but the Mopar snorkel doesn't measure up. I don't ford deep water, but I don't see the point if it doesn't give you that capability. I'd go for the snorkel more for dust. However, if it isn't very water tight, it won't be very dust tight, either.

On the plus side, for off-roading trips, you can use a standard paper air filter that while it is more restrictive, provides better filtration. It does give you some options. I also like that it gets the most direct cold air of any CAI I've seen.

What I like is that you wouldn't have to run the snorkel all the time.

OP, keep us posted on how it sounds!

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6

I would definitely look for a dealer that does a lot of jeep accessories like lifts etc. I saw one guy got charged 3hrs of labor so probably in the $350 range but I am sure that will vary. I have modified a lot on current and previous cars but cutting into body panels will be a first.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Found one at bam parts for $337 to my door so I ordered one, cheapest I could find by far and did not feel like waiting for BF sales to start. Use save10 for the promo code if interested.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Mount your gopro right near this sucker I want to hear it lol

We know you’ve been driving it all damn day just do it already LOLOLOL

He probably said “Babe I’ve got to run to the store”

<Came back 10 hours later lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Mount your gopro right near this sucker I want to hear it lol

We know you’ve been driving it all damn day just do it already LOLOLOL

He probably said “Babe I’ve got to run to the store”

<Came back 10 hours later lol
I did have to run to the store earlier but the wife parks her RAV4 on the driveway, blocking the Jeep in, so I just took hers....lol.....will take it out after I study for a bit.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I did have to run to the store earlier but the wife parks her RAV4 on the driveway, blocking the Jeep in, so I just took hers....lol.....will take it out after I study for a bit.
lol

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Dude you have the patience of a sloth

I would have been out driving HOURS ago.

Move the damn RAV4 and GO FOR A RIDE

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Study? Come on, man! Important things first! We want to hear about how it sounds and feels!

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All good things to those who wait....lol

We did need to run down to the other end of the city so we moved the Toyota and took the Jeep.....

My wife, who is normally oblivious to anything vehicle related, asked me if the new sound was from “that thing on the thing” (meaning the vent on the hood - she’s very technical as you can tell). Even she could hear the intake noise, it’s noticeable but not intrusive.

The pick-up does seem better than before too. The 10hp claimed gain could be close.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All good things to those who wait....lol

We did need to run down to the other end of the city so we moved the Toyota and took the Jeep.....

My wife, who is normally oblivious to anything vehicle related, asked me if the new sound was from “that thing on the thing” (meaning the vent on the hood - she’s very technical as you can tell). Even she could hear the intake noise, it’s noticeable but not intrusive.

The pick-up does seem better than before too. The 10hp claimed gain could be close.
What's the sound? Deeper? Throatier? Just air? Whistle?

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
I really like the Rugged Ridge design, but it has a longer run and another bend slowing the air down. The hole in the hood one should be very efficient. Im interested in one now. That will truly bring in cold air.

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I like the look of the RR design too...it’s a great idea...but....a CAI should be about how it works not how it looks. I like how the Mopar one functions and how it looks - your mileage may vary :).
Sponsored