Sponsored

Mopar CAI kit installed on JL today. Feedback / review.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Looks are one issue. Any performance difference, real, perceived, or otherwise?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
This what I thought I was getting. Will have to see if there’s maybe a shield behind the grille piece or if it’s a design change.

91F100AF-61F2-4DAD-94F1-D8B13F7AF6AC.png

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looks are one issue. Any performance difference, real, perceived, or otherwise?

Thanks!
Will have to get back to you on that...130km/h winds yesterday...wasn’t trying to go faster...lol

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure the engineers thought of water and snow getting into/blocking the vent if it was an open one. But still, why drill hood to put a fake vent?

I'm wondering if it plays some role we are not aware of...maybe helps direct flow within the hood?

Can you post a picture of what it looks like inside the hood?
I’ll take that picture after work today

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
The “vent” is fake, sadly.....however it allows for the snorkel to integrate with it if I get that at a later point. I may decide to open up the spaces between the honeycomb and make it functional but I haven’t decided yet..
That sucks, i was hoping it was a screen and sealed to the factory airbox. Could get a nice ram air affect. It still looks cool though.

Good mod for the aftermarket to come out with. A ram air conversion kit for the mopar air box. Make it happen guys!

Did you notice any noise increase or is it still quiet? Is the entire air box swapped out or just the top and tubing?

Sorry for all the questions, i was considering getting this and there is not a lot of info on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks, i was hoping it was a screen and sealed to the factory airbox. Could get a nice ram air affect. It still looks cool though.

Good mod for the aftermarket to come out with. A ram air conversion kit for the mopar air box. Make it happen guys!

Did you notice any noise increase or is it still quiet? Is the entire air box swapped out or just the top and tubing?

Sorry for all the questions, i was considering getting this and there is not a lot of info on it.
Noise increase isn’t that noticeable but I do have a muffler delete so maybe can’t hear it over the exhaust.
The whole box is swapped out.
I’d love for the aftermarket to come up with a replacement insert to make it a true CAI.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
How easy then would it be to swap on the snorkel? Looks like it would just bolt right on. Also, what kind of air filter does it use?

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Noise increase isn’t that noticeable but I do have a muffler delete so maybe can’t hear it over the exhaust.
The whole box is swapped out.
I’d love for the aftermarket to come up with a replacement insert to make it a true CAI.
No matter the exhaust tone, the intake should add significant deep tone(that of course is if the unit actually allows for MORE air intake).

I would suggest a K&N filter instead of the stock(see attached).

That's what kinda sucks now about cutting into your hood...kinda stuck with that one.

Also, on the hood insert...try just drilling ÂĽ" holes in the mesh in between the cross-sections. dont remove to much material as to help leave some air resistance and not allow to much outside element to enter.

Screenshot_20191026-152039_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Pretty sure this comes with a reusable filter. So it should be resilient to some water. On another video i saw the bottom of the airbox had drain holes with plugs you could insert for off road. This was a previous version though so not sure if this one has it.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Hey, Bikini, as long as people are noticing little details in your pictures (like the window sticker), in your second picture it looks like a part of your hood latch is hanging out from the mechanism. This is the latch right in front of the CAI "portal" in the hood. Hope something didn't happen during the CAI installation!

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, Bikini, as long as people are noticing little details in your pictures (like the window sticker), in your second picture it looks like a part of your hood latch is hanging out from the mechanism. This is the latch right in front of the CAI "portal" in the hood. Hope something didn't happen during the CAI installation!
That’s the tubing I put in to prevent small rocks getting trapped between the fender and the flare - spotted it was loose last night and tucked it back in. Appreciate you watching out for me though :).

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m laughing a bit at the water ingress comments....it reuses the stock inlet & lower part of the box.....main upgrade is a reusable filter and smoother airflow between the air box and the intake. Also I learnt how to enter water with drowning my vehicle so there’s that too...lol.

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No matter the exhaust tone, the intake should add significant deep tone(that of course is if the unit actually allows for MORE air intake).

I would suggest a K&N filter instead of the stock(see attached).

That's what kinda sucks now about cutting into your hood...kinda stuck with that one.

Also, on the hood insert...try just drilling ÂĽ" holes in the mesh in between the cross-sections. dont remove to much material as to help leave some air resistance and not allow to much outside element to enter.

Screenshot_20191026-152039_Chrome.jpg

There may well be a different tone but I wasn’t particularly listening for it...plus it’s been a week since I got to driver her (dealership was fixing some of their screw ups) so a direct before and after wasn’t possible. I can say she feels a bit more energetic despite also gaining a hardtop so there’s a noticeable bit more pep which definitely suggests better airflow. Plus having had multiple performance vehicles in my past and working on airflow (in and out) on those I can see from the design that the tubing is causing far fewer restrictions than the convoluted stock piece.
Sponsored

Reactions: JAY