Sponsored

Mopar CAI kit installed on JL today. Feedback / review.

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello Guys,

Would it yield the same results installing the hood filter cover only and a performance filter?

If so can you guys share the OEM Cai door part number?

Thanks
JC
Sponsored

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Guys,

Would it yield the same results installing the hood filter cover only and a performance filter?

If so can you guys share the OEM Cai door part number?

Thanks
JC
It wouldn’t be the same as the tubing from the airbox to the intake provides much smoother airflow than the stock piece. Also, as far as I know, you can’t buy the vent piece on it’s own.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Installed the kit today, not too bad of a job. Looking at others, my intake is a little lower, but that’s me nick picking. I’m happy with it! If your on the fence go for it, it’s a pretty cool mod.

3B4BC5AD-FE05-417A-B238-421C76B82725.jpeg

29A8F317-023C-4858-8052-DEA475C6E70E.jpeg

NJMAX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
Rugged ridge option is way better and no cutting.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar CAI kit installed on JL today. Feedback / review. 29A8F317-023C-4858-8052-DEA475C6E70E
@RubenZ Do you know if there is just this vent piece option or do you have to buy the full snorkel? Just want more venting and just can’t cut my Rubicon hood for the Mopar option.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

@RubenZ Do you know if there is just this vent piece option or do you have to buy the full snorkel? Just want more venting and just can’t cut my Rubicon hood for the Mopar option.
You get both parts and can swap them out. I did not like the fact the intake blocks access to the battery and some accessory options.

Sponsored

NJMAX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
You get both parts and can swap them out. I did not like the fact the intake blocks access to the battery and some accessory options.
@INCRHULK Thanks for the info! I have a 2022 Rubicon ordered that should be delivered in the next couple of weeks and I ordered the Mopar CAI. I was hoping to get a little better MPG and a little throatier sound. I’ve read some post it seems that more ventilation is needed to get that. Is that true?
I’m by no means a mechanic and looking for a simple way to add more air that doesn’t require cutting my hood and not super expensive. Any recommendation?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I did the muffler delete and Mopar CAI on my 3.6. I like the sound, some don't.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

@INCRHULK Thanks for the info! I have a 2022 Rubicon ordered that should be delivered in the next couple of weeks and I ordered the Mopar CAI. I was hoping to get a little better MPG and a little throatier sound. I’ve read some post it seems that more ventilation is needed to get that. Is that true?
I’m by no means a mechanic and looking for a simple way to add more air that doesn’t require cutting my hood and not super expensive. Any recommendation?
The rugged ridge is the only option I know of. Then again, I cut my hood to install the Mishimoto snorkel I have.

NJMAX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
The rugged ridge is the only option I know of. Then again, I cut my hood to install the Mishimoto snorkel I have.
You are a braver man than me! I will need to let the newness wear off some before I can cut on it 😂 You think the Rugged Rige one will work with the Mopar CAI or would I need to get a RR CAI ?

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Cold air intakes are useless.

The only time they help is at full throttle at peak horsepower RPM. There they may make an extra 10 hp.

But answer me this question, how much time do you spend at full throttle at 6000 RPMs?

At all other times, you have something else stuffed in your intake track blocking air, the throttle.

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

You are a braver man than me! I will need to let the newness wear off some before I can cut on it 😂 You think the Rugged Rige one will work with the Mopar CAI or would I need to get a RR CAI ?
No need for a CAI, the snorkel / intake does that job for you. It moves the air intake out of the engine bay, and with the snorkel moves it out of most of the dust and mud kicked up too. If your asking about a larger air filter system, “It depends”. If you’re going to off road, I’d stick with the MOPAR filter, or an AFE (that’s what I have). They trap fine particulate better.

Last edited:

MarkM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Project Manager
I did this mod about a year ago. The hood cut does work, the grill is open and has a rain shutter, or whatever it is.

Granted, it is not as large as the opening for the airbox, but that is a huge source of cold air added to the grill vent tube coming in under the airbox. The new tube to the throttle body is about an inch larger in diameter and looses the noise chambers. The new filter reminds me of a K&N, but it not oiled.

The thing does sound much better now, there is a definite growl. Also, you can feel a difference in the Butt-O-Meter. I don't know what the change is, but the torque and HP are better. I waited a while after the install to do the hood cut, that is little nerve-wracking, but the soft aluminum is easy to work.

The hood opening didn't make a huge difference on warm days, but when it is cold, the 3.6 certainly wakes up.

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Please let us know when your Jeep arrives if the vent/cutout kit comes with your accessories bag of stuff. I just picked up mine (22 Rubicon) and it did NOT. CAI is there, but no vent kit to install later.

NJMAX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
Please let us know when your Jeep arrives if the vent/cutout kit comes with your accessories bag of stuff. I just picked up mine (22 Rubicon) and it did NOT. CAI is there, but no vent kit to install later.
@INCRHULK
I picked up up Rubicon 13 days ago, Love it! The hood vent piece was NOT included. I was not planning on cutting my hood so I did not ask for it. But if I was I would have as it should come with the complete CAI package.

kis_face

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.6 JL 2-dr
I ordered my Jeep with the CAI not knowing the factory didn't install the hood cut-out portion of the kit. The dealer confirmed the factory does not cut the hood. Had I known that I would have just purchased the kit separately and installed it myself. I also did not receive the hood cut-out parts when I took delivery of the Jeep in order to complete that part of the install myself. I let them know I was okay with doing the hood cutting myself however they didn't include the parts to do it. Apparently the factory doesn't typically include that either (makes no sense). After rattling some cages at the dealership they ended up ordering a complete kit and robbing the hood bezel parts from the kit to give to me. Because apparently they don't just sell the hood parts, it only comes as a complete kit. What is the factory doing with all the hood parts they keep when customers order the kit factory installed!?

Here is a link to my POV video of all the steps involved to install the hood cut-out bezel yourself -
Sponsored