Sponsored

Mopar CAI install with hood vent cut.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have been getting a lot of questions and messages on my Mopar intake since I cut the hood vent. So I decided to start a thread to point people to for reference. I did the airbox back in october and just recently cut in the hood, which is why below is a two part video.

My main reason for installing this was i just love the way it looks, especially the vent. Its very unique and the most functional CAI I have seen for the JL. It is also quieter than stock at idle by 2db with the hood open. Probably got a bit more growl when you hit the gas but not much, which is what I wanted. Another big one for me is my dealer did not care if I installed a Mopar intake at all.

I have not noticed any seat of the pants feel. Probably only in the 10hp range so your never going to feel that. Since cutting the hood my MPG has started to increase, so far by .5 mpg. My driving habits are pretty consistent but I realise there are other factors so I will continue to monitor it.

Those are the main points people want addressed so I will post the videos below. Also I could care less if you subscribe, wife started the channel. I don't even like being filmed but I enjoy posting jeep related videos to help people.

Airbox install:

Hood vent install:
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Curiousity---what happens when it rains, or you wash the JEEP ??

JIMBO

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
OK, thanks-

I hope it works out for you !

JIMBO

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Thanks for posting. Thoughts on Mopar compatible snorkel to add on later?

Sponsored

OP
OP
BrntWS6

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Thanks for posting. Thoughts on Mopar compatible snorkel to add on later?
Will not be adding the snorkel, I personally don't like the look. I may be doing some very small appearance stuff here and there but for the most part my Jeep is done.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have been getting a lot of questions and messages on my Mopar intake since I cut the hood vent. So I decided to start a thread to point people to for reference. I did the airbox back in october and just recently cut in the hood, which is why below is a two part video.

My main reason for installing this was i just love the way it looks, especially the vent. Its very unique and the most functional CAI I have seen for the JL. It is also quieter than stock at idle by 2db with the hood open. Probably got a bit more growl when you hit the gas but not much, which is what I wanted. Another big one for me is my dealer did not care if I installed a Mopar intake at all.

I have not noticed any seat of the pants feel. Probably only in the 10hp range so your never going to feel that. Since cutting the hood my MPG has started to increase, so far by .5 mpg. My driving habits are pretty consistent but I realise there are other factors so I will continue to monitor it.

Those are the main points people want addressed so I will post the videos below. Also I could care less if you subscribe, wife started the channel. I don't even like being filmed but I enjoy posting jeep related videos to help people.

Airbox install:

Hood vent install:
You Sir, are an artist with a dremel.

OP
OP
BrntWS6

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have continued to track my MPG these past 3 weeks. I do pretty much all city driving, maybe a 30 min round trip pretty consistantly. Went down quite a bit with the winter blend as well.

Before hood vent. 13.6mpg
3 weeks After hood vent. 16.0mpg

Actually pretty surprised it has gone up that much.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Cutting Al with standard abrasives NOT a good idea. At the very least wear a face shield - those wheels are small but if they blow at 30k rpm could still hurt you

I've never even tried to shop for Dremel sized wheels approved for Al - don't know if they exist?

OP
OP
BrntWS6

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Cutting Al with standard abrasives NOT a good idea. At the very least wear a face shield - those wheels are small but if they blow at 30k rpm could still hurt you

I've never even tried to shop for Dremel sized wheels approved for Al - don't know if they exist?
It is rated to cut metal. Aluminum is pretty soft, and the hood is not very thick at all. It cut through it very easy. I used these to cut the sub frame connector steel welds off my Trans Am. Steel is twice as dense as AL.

I will say the EZ lock system for dremel is not the best for keeping the wheel secure though. I have had the inner locking piece come apart several times.

jimbobbeg

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If anyone has the Mopar CAI kit and intends NOT to use the hood vent, I'd like to buy the hood vent and hardware from you. I'm going to adapt it to the aFe Power intake I've installed.

20200414_185640.jpg

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I have continued to track my MPG these past 3 weeks. I do pretty much all city driving, maybe a 30 min round trip pretty consistantly. Went down quite a bit with the winter blend as well.

Before hood vent. 13.6mpg
3 weeks After hood vent. 16.0mpg

Actually pretty surprised it has gone up that much.
Could that have anything to do with the outside temps and even more so the gas stations finally switching back to non winter fuel?

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
If anyone has the Mopar CAI kit and intends NOT to use the hood vent, I'd like to buy the hood vent and hardware from you. I'm going to adapt it to the aFe Power intake I've installed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar CAI install with hood vent cut. 20200414_185640
I was considering doing the exact same thing
Sponsored