Sponsored

Mopar Brake Controller Not Compatible with the 4xe? (UPDATE: Confirmed Brake Controller is NOT compatible with the 4xe)

Flieger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
I'm towing a tear drop too! But im at 2600 dry and 2900 fully loaded. You're probably just fine but I have to have one for mine. Right now I'm using my Tekonsha controller which is awesome BUT I'm REALLY not wanting to put holes in the dash for the mounting bracket. I've been getting by with heavy duty velcro BUT it comes off in the heat so I'm having to put it back up periodically. It stays on while traveling since the ac is on, but.....tbat's not really a working scenerio! I also keep extra "fresh" velcro but again not ideal!
Does Tekonsha still offer a wireless brake controller?

I bought one a few years ago and it works great.
Sponsored

JStyles300

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4Xe
I'm towing a tear drop too! But im at 2600 dry and 2900 fully loaded. You're probably just fine but I have to have one for mine. Right now I'm using my Tekonsha controller which is awesome BUT I'm REALLY not wanting to put holes in the dash for the mounting bracket. I've been getting by with heavy duty velcro BUT it comes off in the heat so I'm having to put it back up periodically. It stays on while traveling since the ac is on, but.....tbat's not really a working scenerio! I also keep extra "fresh" velcro but again not ideal!
I have had the P3 for a while now, but haven’t installed it. I bought a trailer today that has brakes and decide to install it…looked under the dash and can’t find the plug it’s supposed to connect to. Am I missing something, looking in the wrong place, or do I have to get the install kit to work with the 4xe?

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Do you have the factory tow package? If you do, is just way up in there and you have to clip a zip tie to get it to drop down. If you don't then you would have to hard wire it in.

I have also found the perfect mounting location that requires only a strong clip. No holes to drill anywhere. Just clip and you're done. I will post a pic asap.

JStyles300

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4Xe
Do you have the factory tow package? If you do, is just way up in there and you have to clip a zip tie to get it to drop down. If you don't then you would have to hard wire it in.

I have also found the perfect mounting location that requires only a strong clip. No holes to drill anywhere. Just clip and you're done. I will post a pic asap.
I have the factory tow package with the Hd electrical and aux switches, but I’ve crawled under the dash almost as far as I can and haven’t been able to find the plug anywhere. I’ll have to check again, I guess.

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
It's on the left side of steering wheel. Mine was up there pretty high and had a zip tie holding it.

Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
One of the best brake controllers i have ever used (light duty) is the Curt 51180 Bluetooth brake controller. it doesn't require any thing to be mounted in the cab.

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon
This is a pretty old thread but it has some dated info, it states the factory brake controller cannot be used with the 4xe. That might have been true at one point, but I ordered a new mopar brake controller in May 2022 and installed it once it finally arrived. I've been towing my Casita with zero issues, brakes and brake controller work fine. When I use RGen the trailer brakes do not come on but that is to be expected. They certainly come on when I push the brake or manually activate the controller. The dial works, everything works and it all looks stock. Bummer to lose the 12v power outlet up there but I'd never used it for anything anyway.

my 10c.

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
This is a pretty old thread but it has some dated info, it states the factory brake controller cannot be used with the 4xe. That might have been true at one point, but I ordered a new mopar brake controller in May 2022 and installed it once it finally arrived. I've been towing my Casita with zero issues, brakes and brake controller work fine. When I use RGen the trailer brakes do not come on but that is to be expected. They certainly come on when I push the brake or manually activate the controller. The dial works, everything works and it all looks stock. Bummer to lose the 12v power outlet up there but I'd never used it for anything anyway.

my 10c.
Good to know - what part number did you order ?

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon