Sponsored

Mopar Brake Controller Not Compatible with the 4xe? (UPDATE: Confirmed Brake Controller is NOT compatible with the 4xe)

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Hi everyone,

So I took delivery of my 4xe on April 3rd and at that time Chrysler had issued a "do not install" order for the Mopar Brake Controller that mounts in place of the 12volt outlet in the dash. I was participating in another thread where most people where having issues with it in regular gas engine wranglers for quite awhile. It was a big enough issue that Mopar took the controller off the market for a couple of months. I just checked back with Mopar and it seems that its back in stock and "evidentially" the issue has been resolved. The part number is 82215652AB. The official mopar parts website lists the 4xe as compatible in the fitment tab.

I called my dealer this morning to inquire about ordering it and getting it installed. My service advisor did some research and called me back and said the brake controller is not compatible with the 4xe. Has anyone else been told it won't work on the 4xe?

This is what the brake controller looks like
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Brake Controller Not Compatible with the 4xe? (UPDATE: Confirmed Brake Controller is NOT compatible with the 4xe) 1626194835254
Sponsored

Last edited:

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
I wondered that myself. Not sure of the answer. With the Max Regen setting.....I question the need for a brake controller for lighter trailers. Our teardrop is 1600 lbs dry so I am running without a brake controller at the moment.

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I'm towing a tear drop too! But im at 2600 dry and 2900 fully loaded. You're probably just fine but I have to have one for mine. Right now I'm using my Tekonsha controller which is awesome BUT I'm REALLY not wanting to put holes in the dash for the mounting bracket. I've been getting by with heavy duty velcro BUT it comes off in the heat so I'm having to put it back up periodically. It stays on while traveling since the ac is on, but.....tbat's not really a working scenerio! I also keep extra "fresh" velcro but again not ideal!

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Ok, bummer. I confirmed with now two dealerships that the Mopar brake controller is NOT compatible with the 4xe. So, I guess I will be drilling two holes in the dash again! :mad:

My guess is its not compatible because of the regenerative braking...which I really like, so not a bad trade off I guess!

Sponsored

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Thanks, I tried that first and it doesn't stay stuck to the dash. That's the point of failure not the grippy velcro side. I also tried the 15lb outdoor one and same result. I cleaned the dash with alcohol first too. Thanks though!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
How about just lenghing the harness and sticking it under your seat or somewhere else out of sight. Unlikely to need to use the emergency braking function with that light of a trailer.

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
That's true. Hasn't considered that! Thanks. That is a great idea. I know it needs to be parallel to direction of travel but your idea opens up other spots to consider.

digimark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 MT JK 2-dr X, Nacho JLUR 4xe.
I pull a 6x10 cargo trailer/homemade RV and I can confirm the Prodigy RF controller works fine with the 4xe. It's a little pricey but nothing to install to the Jeep and the hand controller goes with the trailer, so trivial to pull it with different vehicles. I just put it away when I'm not using it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I am a little leary of the wireless controllers. I had originally bought the Curt Echo. That worked for about a year on my 2018 then kept locking up the trailer brakes. I will definitely take a look at the prodigy RF. The controller I have now is the Tekonsha P3 so I like that brand. It was going to cost me $650 to get the Mopar one and installed so the Prodigy RF would be a big savings since I can put that in myself. Now to try to figure out a mounting location for the RF! I'm using a weight distribution hitch so there isn't any room on the sides of the trailer.

32beer1

First Name
Yongchang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 4xe
Hi everyone,

So I took delivery of my 4xe on April 3rd and at that time Chrysler had issued a "do not install" order for the Mopar Brake Controller that mounts in place of the 12volt outlet in the dash. I was participating in another thread where most people where having issues with it in regular gas engine wranglers for quite awhile. It was a big enough issue that Mopar took the controller off the market for a couple of months. I just checked back with Mopar and it seems that its back in stock and "evidentially" the issue has been resolved. The part number is 82215652AB. The official mopar parts website lists the 4xe as compatible in the fitment tab.

I called my dealer this morning to inquire about ordering it and getting it installed. My service advisor did some research and called me back and said the brake controller is not compatible with the 4xe. Has anyone else been told it won't work on the 4xe?

This is what the brake controller looks like
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Brake Controller Not Compatible with the 4xe? (UPDATE: Confirmed Brake Controller is NOT compatible with the 4xe) 1626194835254
there is a wireless one Curt Echo Mobile Brake Control 51180
you may consider it. It's about same price as mopar, and you can use it on your orther car.

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
there is a wireless one Curt Echo Mobile Brake Control 51180
you may consider it. It's about same price as mopar, and you can use it on your orther car.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I had the Echo for my 2018 JLU but it malfunctioned after just one year and locked up the trailer brakes. I'm a bit afraid to try it again but I think I might end up buying it again.

Last edited:

digimark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 MT JK 2-dr X, Nacho JLUR 4xe.
For the Prodigy RF the trailer-side unit has to be mounted within reach of the electrical seven-ping jack on the 4xe because it has a port for the trailer jack on it, and then its cable connects to the Jeep. I mounted mine on one of the A legs of the trailer tongue.
Sponsored