Sponsored

Mopar Begins Selling Wall Charger in Preparation for Jeep Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Electric

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Just a comment about Tesla chargers...as a Tesla owner I’m not very excited about sharing Tesla charging stations with FCA unless there is a commitment to build many more Tesla stations . In high traffic areas there is often a long wait to use Tesla chargers. And yes I much agree, plug configuration standardization should have been managed 10 years ago....
There are plenty of Tesla stations sitting empty 99% of the time near me, LL Bean has about 40 of em sucking up precious parking to the point when busy people just pull in an park in front of em, cant blame a customer looking to go shopping. Probably not 40 Teslas in the are, dont know what LL Bean was thinking, a couple of stations would of been more than adequate.

I dont see how they will ever solve the charging issue unless there is a std so all cars can charge at all stations.
Sponsored

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
So if all these different OEMs have different port configurations to plug into charge, public charging will be nothing but a cluster crap shot. I guess is doesnt matter on these since they are plug in hybrids but assuming all the full BEV are in the same boat, dont see full BEV in my future.

Anyone know how many give mes FCA has in reserve, I know some of the other manufacturers went thru their alotment yrs back, I assume other than the Pacifica hybrids they havent burned thru many so I assume all these Wrangler 4XE will qualify for the Fed Kick back credit.
~180,000, IIRC

Will probably last 2 model years, even with FCA selling other plug ins.

There are plenty of Tesla stations sitting empty 99% of the time near me, LL Bean has about 40 of em sucking up precious parking to the point when busy people just pull in an park in front of em, cant blame a customer looking to go shopping. Probably not 40 Teslas in the are, dont know what LL Bean was thinking, a couple of stations would of been more than adequate.

I dont see how they will ever solve the charging issue unless there is a std so all cars can charge at all stations.
A lot of charging stations are incentivized by municipalities or they strong arm them during the business design approval process.

The Tesla Superchargers near me are almost always full - one of the reasons I wouldn't buy a Tesla right now. People can easily slow a road trip down 10%, even if the chargers are where they need to be and aren't full and charging coincides with meals/breaks. That can balloon to 25% - 50% if the charging stations are full, it is cold out, and they're on roads with traffic permitting higher legal speeds.

True EVs only make sense as a 3rd car to me right now.

Reactions: VNT

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Not a bad price, compared to what BMW wants to charge you! I have a Clipper Creek for my Chevy Bolt, so I am set when my 4xe (just ordered) comes in.

Yeah, installation could be into the thousands, so keep that in mind. I just moved to an old townhouse, has a 2 car garage in the front. The panel was in the back! 200A service, so plenty of power, but original (and dangerous) panel. Had to replace that ($1200 w/installation, not doing that myself). Then had to buy a roll of 8x3 wire and run through ceiling the length of house! (had to run 3 for instant on hot water heater anyway). Did that and hooking up that circuit myself, but an electrician would have easily charged a grand to do that (and that would be a fair price)

JAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Can younuse this OEM charger on other EV brands?
I am waiting for delivery of my 4xe and surely a Volvo EV will arrive later this new year, would this charger also charge a different brand EV than Jeep?

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
I am waiting for delivery of my 4xe and surely a Volvo EV will arrive later this new year, would this charger also charge a different brand EV than Jeep?
Level 2 charging is level 2 charging, only Tesla is different. Every other brand any generic level 2 charger will work with.

Sponsored

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Yes it fits all EVs (Tesla requires an adapter).

Loops

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango SRT, RAM TRX (order) Rubicon 4xE (order)
The Mopar Level 2 wall charger is currently available for sale at Chrysler.com. The website directs the user to Amazon where they can purchase the charger and select a home installation option.

The cost of the charger is $599.99 and it's eligible for free shipping. Buyers can opt for a professional installation via Amazon for an extra $550 per unit.

Press Release

FCA Improves the Purchase Experience for Electric Vehicles

• Shoppers on FCA’s consumer websites can now take advantage of a direct link to purchase Mopar’s 240-volt at-home electric vehicle (EV) charger and quality installation services
  • The effort gives customers a simple way to calculate total cost of their EV purchase
  • Chrysler Pacifica PHEV customers will be the first to benefit, with customers of the upcoming Jeep® Wrangler 4xe to follow soon
January 15, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA is taking steps to make choosing and buying an electric vehicle easier. The Chrysler brand website now features a direct link to purchase Mopar’s 240-volt wall charger on Amazon.com and quality installation services for any branded EV charger, giving customers a fast and convenient way to charge their vehicles at home. Additional FCA consumer websites will offer the same solution as the company launches more than 30 electrified nameplates by 2022.

“Our industry is approaching an inflection point in demand for affordable long-range electric vehicles. This action is just one of FCA’s efforts to improve awareness and convenience in the EV purchase experience,” said Micky Bly, Head of Global Propulsion System Engineering, FCA. “We see opportunities to make owning an EV easier and creating a simple solution for at-home charging is among them.”

Among the questions for customers looking to make the switch to electric vehicles is where and how to set up a charger in their home. This approach helps take the guesswork out of the equation. Through Amazon.com/pacificahybrid customers can purchase a charger, answer a few questions about their home, see an installation quote, then schedule online a quality and licensed electrician to complete the installation of their EV charger. The agreement makes the cost more transparent and the experience easier.

FCA Electrification
FCA has identified a long-term strategy for transitioning to EVs. The Ram 1500 and Jeep Wrangler with eTorque and the recently announced Fiat 500 and Panda mild hybrid systems are examples of technology adaptation on high volume vehicles. Also, the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV is America’s first and only hybrid minivan, and its natural drive cycle as a local-use family vehicle benefits from a pure electric range of 32 miles, after which it continues to operate as a fuel-sipping hybrid. The 2020 calendar year will bring seven new high-voltage EVs to the FCA global lineup, including a number of electrified Jeep® vehicles, a second generation Fiat 500 BEV, Fiat Ducato BEV and Maserati’s first hybrid.

Vehicles are only part of the EV equation. EV customers also need the ability to charge their vehicles conveniently and affordably. FCA has signed two agreements in Europe with energy sector leaders Enel X and ENGIE to support corporate production and distribution of PHEV and BEV vehicles. These agreements allow dealers to offer innovative charging solutions and services to retail and business customers.

Through a partnership with Terna, an electricity provider in Italy, FCA will study how EVs interact with the distribution network. An experimental two-way charging infrastructure built within the Mirafiori district will provide energy from cars to the grid when electrical demand is high and return to vehicle charging when the demand is low.

jeep-mopar-wall-charger-hybrid-electric-level-2.jpg
Official Jeep Branded HCS-40, Hardwired, Level 2, 240V, 32A, Electric Car Charger for All EVs, UL Listed, Automaker Approved, 25ft Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MB7MN7J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_rYB9Fb1YMFGQF

From the vendor on Amazon and FCA chat, you can NOT schedule installation but they recommend hiring a certified electrician to do the install. FCA chat took note of the confusing language on the 4xE webpage. Luckily I’m in the middle of building our home in Colorado and was able to add a EV charger pre-wire in the garage. I did find this video:

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I'm in MA, where there's a state rebate of $300 for getting the ChargePoint since it can throttle charge rate during peak times. Is there any real reason to get the Mopar one?

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I'm in MA, where there's a state rebate of $300 for getting the ChargePoint since it can throttle charge rate during peak times. Is there any real reason to get the Mopar one?
No, it's just a rebranded generic Level 2 Car Charger with the Jeep logo. Check out Amazon, and search for any Level 2 Charger with at least 32 amps. The 4XE can only take 7.2kwH, no reason to get a more powerful charger unless you want to future proof for later models down the road.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
No, it's just a rebranded generic Level 2 Car Charger with the Jeep logo. Check out Amazon, and search for any Level 2 Charger with at least 32 amps. The 4XE can only take 7.2kwH, no reason to get a more powerful charger unless you want to future proof for later models down the road.
Future proof always good.

Sponsored

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Yeah, this is easy.

1. Install a new 240V circuit using a 14-50 wall outlet:
3PLUGS.jpg

2. Buy a 240V "Level 2" charging station with the 14-50 plug.
3. Turn off power to the circuit. Add mounting hardware. Plug in charging station and hang. Turn on breaker.
4. Bob's your uncle.

One caveat on buying a charging station on Amazon: Amazon doesn't check to see if the devices sold on it meet the U.S. electrical safety standards. What's worse, some stations sold online claim to meet the safety standards, but when you go to the safety agency's website, they aren't listed.

Bottom line: go with a respected manufacturer like Clipper Creek (which is also made in the USA).

rtk513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2021 Sahara 4xE
I’m amused by all the hate the hybrid gets on this forum. “Something new! It must be stupid! Real jeeps run on gas! Rabble rabble!”

It’s funny how closed minded people are. Most people buy jeeps and commute in them. This could be an excellent option for those people. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. That doesn’t mean it’s not good for others.
boomers gonna boom

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Critique is a positive attribute in the pursuit of continuous improvement from one generation of technology to the next. People scrutinize and may or may not base their decision according to ALL information presented to them. It’s perfectly fine and healthy to disagree. Non issue.
Sponsored