Mopar Begins Selling Wall Charger in Preparation for Jeep Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Electric

1. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alejandro
    Vehicle(s):
    Dodge Durango RT
    Liked:
    Finance
    #46 Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    We should pollute because others do? How about we should care because others do? See? You can always find basis to support any idea or argument. :)

Jeepers! and scramboleer like this.
  2. JandS

JandS Member

Vehicle(s):
    12JKUR (crush6spd)|08 Exige S|06 V70R|12 V-Wagon
    Liked:
    The point is clearly to aggravate old men who are pissed that their best years are behind them, yet lack have the self esteem to grow old with grace.

cjaama and scramboleer like this.
  3. JandS

JandS Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    The EPA also intends to aggravate old men pissed about their lack of relevance in the world and who don't care about the environment because "fuck the future, I'll be dead."

Cheers!

4. Revolution_322

Revolution_322 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep JL Rubi White
    Liked:
    Ya sound like you voted for Hillary. Lolol

ps: im probably younger than you.

5. JandS

JandS Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    "I adopted my political beliefs as part of my identity to mask my low self esteem and insecurities"

Sincerely,

Revolution_322

6. BigGreen

BigGreen Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    JL Sport
    Liked:
    To keep prices reasonable. A full battery Wrangler would start at 80k with less than 200 miles of realistic range.

7. GARRIGA

First Name:
    Alejandro
    Vehicle(s):
    Dodge Durango RT
    Liked:
    Finance
    Rivian starts at $69k so why would a Sport start at $80k?

8. AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep
    Liked:
    The Rivian R1T was designed from the beginning as an electric vehicle.

9. BigGreen

BigGreen Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    JL Sport
    Liked:
    To house enough battery to hit 200 miles on a charge. It really depends on the battery supplier, but the battery pack alone could cost 20k-40k.
    The Rivian claims 230+ miles on their 105kwh battery. In real world numbers that will probably be closer to 200, in a more aerodynamic vehicle with low rolling resistance street tires. Wranglers are less aerodynamic and run medium to high rolling resistant tires haha. And who is going to buy a 200 mile range Wrangler? It'll need 300+ to be on par with gas.

10. GARRIGA

First Name:
    Alejandro
    Vehicle(s):
    Dodge Durango RT
    Liked:
    Finance
    Rivian is a start up and a ne needs to consider the cost savings on not needing ICE components such as that engine, Transmission and transfer case. Plus you can save by not needing body on frame.

It would likely be a redesigned vehicle and it’s not like an established manufacturer can’t build an electric vehicle from the ground up. Tesla has provided the blueprint for free. It’s only a matter of time before all manufacturers go electric as it saves on paying penalties through CAFE and more involved the quicker the infrastructure is built to coexist or completely replace gas stations.

200 is short but new technology keeps pushing that.

I keep hearing it’s a box on wheels yet the diesel gets near 30 and that was considered impossible. :)

scramboleer likes this.
  11. Revolution_322

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep JL Rubi White
    Liked:

https://youtu.be/oJL9MasBFvM

12. GARRIGA

First Name:
    Alejandro
    Vehicle(s):
    Dodge Durango RT
    Liked:
    Finance
    #57 Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    In the 80s I got my license. Dream car was a 69 Camaro SS that got a whopping 8 miles to the gallon. Runner up was a 76 Corvette not within reach of my budget. Gas mileage was better. Not by much. Finally got an 89 Corvette that got 27 plus on the highway. Today my Durango RT gets 22 at 80. All do poorly in stop and go. Moral of my tale is that with technology ICE has improved. So will batteries. Using today as a barrier to why we shouldn’t go electric is like saying that 69 SS was reason to go back to riding horses because they didn’t need gas, pooped on the go and hay was plentiful. Yet today’s electric sedans do the quarter mile in the time that SS took to go 60. Progress is good but can only be achieved if we start it. ;)

13. Revolution_322

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep JL Rubi White
    Liked:
    Couldnt agree more. However i will be watching on the sidelines with my ICE until graphene or better battery technology comes out and i can do 1000 miles without a recharge. Don't forget you still need to charge the batteries and that energy needs to come from somewhere. 60-70% of our infrastructure is still combustion based and lithium is highly toxic to those who mine and process it so right now the feel good aspect of it all the electric car industry is pretty much a larp. I mean i get the fact that people have to buy in order to further the process. But im just not that guy. Especially on my rig when im out wheeling far away from home and im really depending on the vehicle.

GARRIGA likes this.
  14. GARRIGA

First Name:
    Alejandro
    Vehicle(s):
    Dodge Durango RT
    Liked:
    Finance
    I get the concern with infrastructure but deploying electric opens new venues like charging at work, while shopping or stopped at a light. I’m charging my phone without plugging it in. Not the most efficient but keeps my phone near 100% all day and I could run at 80 to extend battery life yet choose to be ready should the grid go down.

Don’t know about 1000 mike range plus not available today on ICE but I get how overlanders would appreciate the reach yet installing remote solar powered charging station more realistic than adding gas stations and threads the lightest. I know life that far from civilization might improve were electric to muffle the sounds of diesel and gas engines.

cjaama likes this.
  15. AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep
    Liked:
    The range anxiety issue is really interesting to me. I mean, where is the nearest electricity? About 3' away from me. Where is the nearest gas station? A couple blocks away. You could be 100 miles from a gas station, and still have powerlines right next to the road.

I know this doesn't help with actually charging a vehicle, but I can't help but appreciate the irony.

GARRIGA likes this.