Sponsored

B417

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JLU Sahara
I bought the the second set of plugs and put them in the mats and they fit fine while leaving the ones in the floor board.
Have a part number or link where you purchased these extra plugs?
Sponsored

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
I bought the the second set of plugs and put them in the mats and they fit fine while leaving the ones in the floor board.
Coincidentally I order a second set of plugs from Quadratec just an hour ago to do the same thing. I'll trim the mat drain so it sits flush. Over many moons we've never needed to drain the mats on any other Jeep. I'd rather know that water isn't getting under the carpet from splash, or that rare deep water crossing.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Have a part number or link where you purchased these extra plugs?
Apologies for jumping in ..... here ya go.

Mopar 68194821AA Floor Pan Plug

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I am attempting to improve the seal of the drain in the Mopar All Weather Floor Mats. This first attempt involved cutting a 2" section of 1.1" diameter bicycle inner tube and stretching over the outside of the drain. The 1.1" tube was a pretty tight stretch, a 1.5" might be easier. I think bigger than that would be too big.

mat_drain_1.jpg

mat_drain_2.jpg

It is a tight fit, but the drain still snaps into the drain hole in the floor. I think it will provide a better seal, but it is not something I will be able to test in the near future (unless the mall floods). I will check on it after a week or two to see how it's holding up.
Pulled the mats today and found that the passenger side inner tube split due to over stretching. Went to the next size up, 1.5 - 2.0. This looks like a better fit.

1.1 inner tube vs 1.5
drain inner tubes.jpg

1.5 installed
mat_drain_5.jpg

1.1 installed
mat_drain_4.jpg

Sponsored

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I too have no plans to install the Mopar mats as they were intended, meaning, I won't be taking the body pan plugs out to install the rubber mats with their fittings. I've owned many Jeeps and never wanted to hose out the interior. Not judging anyone who does, as the beauty of Jeeps and their capabilities is "to each his own". But, I have ordered extra body plugs and will install these in the front mats and then will trim off as much as possible to get the mats to lay flush with the carpet.

When I wash my Jeep, I always take the mats out, lay them on the driveway and hose them off. I like that Mopar provided a plug fitting on the mats to increase their utility for those who want to hose out the Jeep, but they should have provided plugs for those of us who don't work that way.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone having a floor at leaking issue this may be of interest.
I've watched this and he makes perfect sense IF you want the mats to be relatively permanently attached to the floor of your Jeep. I can't tell from the video how removable that 3M material is or how big of a mess it would make if you tried to remove it.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think there are other sealers that will work better. For instance, the weather shield that protects the back side of a car door panel is attached with a "re-usable" adhesive. The weather shield can be removed and re-attached multiple times and the sealer remains sticky. That adhesive also seems thicker/firmer (less squishy) than the windshield sealer in the video. If you explain to an auto body supply shop what your are trying to do, they can recommend the right sealer/adhesive to do it. That being said, I don't think it is as good of a solution as the inner tube fix.

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
I can see the mats as designed not working for a water crossing where the floorpan hole is submerged but I have a hard time seeing how regular road spray from driving in the rain will get your carpets wet.

That area is kind of shielded/protected from spray, any thoughts? Are we over analyzing this for just regular driving?

Sponsored

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Great job again Brandon!!! I picked up the stuff Brandon used. 7 inch strips. It worked like a charm!
We all owe a great deal of Thanks to Brandon for all of his very useful knowledgeable and excellent videos. And all the useful information he provides to all of use Jeep enthusiasts

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@klhjeep2018

Yes, Brandon does an aok job. He seems to enjoy what he is doing and makes money doing it. Win for him and a win for those that follow his YouTube videos.

SkilledOne4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1966 Ford Mustang GT
Pulled the mats today and found that the passenger side inner tube split due to over stretching. Went to the next size up, 1.5 - 2.0. This looks like a better fit.

1.1 inner tube vs 1.5
drain inner tubes.jpg

1.5 installed
mat_drain_5.jpg

1.1 installed
mat_drain_4.jpg
Looks awesome. I think I will try this out. Thanks for the suggestion.

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
These mats are a great example of an amazing idea that fell a little short. The aftermarket is going to mop up (pun intended) the floor mat market when they copy the design but improve upon the minor flaws..

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To test how well the inner tube was sealing, I cut a hole in a piece of plastic the same size as the drain hole and did a test fit on the mat drain.

Repost of inner tubed drain.
mat_drain_5.jpg

Test fit, looks like a good seal to me.
seal test 1.jpg

For comparison, here's how the drain plug fits the test hole.
seal test2.jpg
Sponsored