Sponsored

MOPAR Aftermarket Proximity Lock Install

IF FCA created procedures for Dealers to install proximty locks what would you pay for them?

• Total voters

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Given that from the factory, where installation of proximity locks should presumptively be cheapest for FCA to install, given they get to time when in the build process they do this, and economies of scale...

and the fact that this is $441 (FWP: i.e. factory wholesale price, i.e. "Invoice") on either the 2 or 4 door by October's pricing https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/latest-2020-jeep-wrangler-jl-order-guide-october-2019/

what would you pay to have this done by a dealer after purchase?

Maybe if FCA sees here what people would be willing to pay that they will be incentivized to device a procedure to do, and standard the cost to do this.

I'm at about $650 myself.

@JeepCares
Sponsored

Last edited:

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
I had them on past cars and they were always hit or miss. You had wet hands or it's raining outside time to furiously tug at the handle. i like them to just add it to a package and bump the cost a little but not $441.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
If I had ordered mine, would have checked the box and not blinked. As it was, I bought off the lot and didn’t get prox locks or the LED package. Lights are an easy upgrade but it’s irritating that I can’t retrofit the locks. Every single day I walk up and grab the handle expecting it to unlock. Old habits die hard and my last 2 Audi’s had prox locks.
That being said, I’d spend $500 on other mods before locks, but if I could source parts, do the install myself, and get it coded for $250ish, I’d be on it.

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have this feature on my Porsche. Never use it and didn’t order it on my 20 JLUR. The Jeep key is so f@#@in big I would never have it in pocket. I hope I don’t come off sexist, but this would be suited for someone carrying a purse or such.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I have this feature on my Porsche. Never use it and didn’t order it on my 20 JLUR. The Jeep key is so f@#@in big I would never have it in pocket. I hope I don’t come off sexist, but this would be suited for someone carrying a purse or such.
You must not be frequently loading crap in and out of your vehicle. With 2 kids and a slew of gear-centric hobbies, both of my arms are usually full every time I am approaching or leaving my vehicle. I rely on the proximity locks way more than I thought I would before I had the feature.

Sponsored

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You must not be frequently loading crap in and out of your vehicle. With 2 kids and a slew of gear-centric hobbies, both of my arms are usually full every time I am approaching or leaving my vehicle. I rely on the proximity locks way more than I thought I would before I had the feature.
Nope. Never had a problem with my JKUL and on my JLUR. BTW, 4 kids here. Just hit the unlock button and all good to go.Also, if your doing a lot of “hauling of crap” at night, hitting the unlock on the FOB will illuminate the lights as set on your Jeep.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I'd probably pay up to $800, but $500 seems closer to what it "should" cost for (a 2-dr at least). I also agree that if there were a kit (like the aux switch kit), I'd likely go that route and pay around $500 too. It'll cost a couple hundred bucks to change from manual locks to power locks w/ a remote, so, the extra dough is just so I don't have to dig around in my pocket and press a button, but, it would be worth it.

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Larry, my fob.

IMG_2917.JPG

My project to effect same.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/smaller-key-fob.25099/

An aftermarket solution:

https://www.ajtdesign-llc.com/online-store/Wrangler-JL-Gladiator-JT-c34349008

Graceme123

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S
Proximity locks is the biggest thing that I miss!! I would gladly pay $500-$600 to have it installed or if I could get the parts install it myself and pay $200 or so to have the computer flashed to make it work. Someone please make this happen!! LOL

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I was not aware that if it is not important to you than it must only be suited for those that carry purses.:facepalm:

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I had them on past cars and they were always hit or miss. You had wet hands or it's raining outside time to furiously tug at the handle. i like them to just add it to a package and bump the cost a little but not $441.
I never had proximity before, this JL is my first experience, never had an issue, rain or shine, will see what the winter brings.

broox

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broox.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M4, 2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My other 2 vehicles both have proximity locks and just like @Buckster, I walk up to the jeep every time, grab the handle, and expect it to open. I am super kicking myself for missing that checkbox on my custom order!

It seems completely ridiculous that this is not something that can be added without completely reflashing the software.

P.S. - this thread seems to have gotten the closest: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/adding-proximity-locks-retroactively.10769/
Sponsored