FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So most of us probably saw the green Jeep from the release with all the MOPAR goodies on it. Personally I have never purchased MOPAR official accessories because generally they were well beyond the aftermarket price point. I mean I get why people do it, especially when you can just roll them right into the loan which makes it attractive to some, and you get the added peace of mind that no warranty fights are in your future. Well that and the JL aftermarket is not existent yet, but given the popularity its only a few weeks post release until that changes.

Anyone here rocking MOPAR stuff on their current JK/JKU? Would you do it again, or stick with aftermarket? How is the quality for the price? Thoughts?
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
So most of us probably saw the green Jeep from the release with all the MOPAR goodies on it. Personally I have never purchased MOPAR official accessories because generally they were well beyond the aftermarket price point. I mean I get why people do it, especially when you can just roll them right into the loan which makes it attractive to some, and you get the added peace of mind that no warranty fights are in your future. Well that and the JL aftermarket is not existent yet, but given the popularity its only a few weeks post release until that changes.

Anyone here rocking MOPAR stuff on their current JK/JKU? Would you do it again, or stick with aftermarket? How is the quality for the price? Thoughts?
I am planning on getting the tube door kit at some point. It looks great and uses the factory latches.

SKT

First Name
SKT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

I’m looking forward to the quality of them as well. Hopefully the functionality, fit and finish is top notch.

Surely they are not making all of these products in-house; therefore, I’d think they are inevitably made by aftermarket companies.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Depends OP. If you go to a good dealership and have bought a vehicle from or will buy from, on occasion they will offer OEM upgrades at cost. There is no reason why you couldn't negotiate upgrade price as well! Just be sure to get a good interest rate on the Wrangler you want THEN ask for upgrades at cost with the same rate. Often dealerships will say, yes, yes, yes to extras and if you are not paying attention every yes comes with a bump in interest rate! :angry:

As for quality, OEMs have high standards. We all have seen terribad aftermarket garbage so name brands and OEM are usually safe bets.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
As the aftermarket retools for the JL(U/T) I'll certainly consider the Mopar line for some things, as sure as I'll see what the aftermarket offers.

While I don't think that we need to worry about Mopar stuff being high quality, (it will be) I also don't think that any of the leading aftermarket suppliers, like Quadratec, will produce anything but quality wares as well--many of these companies, as mentioned, likely to be making these parts for FCA anyway (now at least FCA gets "a cut.")

Getting these goodies at purchase may not guarantee their comprehensive insurance covered replacement of the vehicle is totaled or stolen--I think insurance companies go buy the purchase sticker (would these accessories be on there?)

Another thing. Getting such goodies attached to a financed purchase is a double edged sword. Sure, you get to pay for them little by little over the life of the loan, but the amount you pay in total, across all months, is, like in any loan, for more than the one time purchase price in full up front, even adjusted for present value. (This reality, I know is no news to Wrangler owners: you're smart enough people to know this.)

Some might think that there's something to be said about accessories not being purchased until you have saved up and can afford to pay for them in full, up front. (I'll don my fireproof aircraft fire fighting suit about now.) It's bad enough we finance a depreciable asset in transportation--although vehicles are often considered the one depreciable asset it's okay to finance, and Wranglers notoriously depreciate slowly, if not their accessories (I imagine their value depends on the cocktail of accessories a buyer has, as valued by a buying 3rd party, recognizing that Wrangler purists don't sell their Wrangler, so much as they bury it with their casket.)

Maybe you can finance the vehicle and pay for the accessories in full (at cost) at purchase?

It was smart for FCA to get a jump start on accessories given this enormous market. First, it gave FCA better control on who got specs on the new Wrangler to make such parts. Second, it gets a leg up on the competition in a market where market share (read: after market company financial survivability) is key, and third, customers may be more likely to get these accessories up front, before the first month's payment hits them and they realize that those flood lights will have to wait until next Christmas, as they're just not in the budget right now.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Forgot to mention that Jeep dealerships will give you less hassle if any issues occur from MOPAR accessories over aftermarket. Of course the dealership will have to prove aftermarket hardware is to blame but they can be creative with pointing fingers.
Sponsored