Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The issues I have with the Chinese made key matching locks are not that none of the matching key ones work well, but that the lack of branding and authenticity in same may find you with a version that doesn't work well.

Then, there's patent violations, etc.

I know somebody who purchased this one with success:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Theft-Smart-Hood-Lock-Catch-Lock-Bracket-Latch-For-2018-19-Jeep-Wrangler-JL/223500954625?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

So we're crystal clear, this version uses your Wrangler JL key and adapts itself to that key's unique cut--just like Bolt/MOPAR promise theirs to do.

It is a sad day for capitalism that two companies can't get their crap together (Bolt and FCA-and I strongly suspect FCA mostly to blame here) and produce this product in a year and a half, all while the Chinese reverse engineer it, copy it, and sell it.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Well, from the price increase referenced above, we can infer that SOME communications are going on between FCA and its distributors, just not the kind we want. I suppose SOME communications is better news than NONE, as then the product might be in process of being discontinued.

My August order, no, in case we lap the field, let me rephrase that as "August, 2018" order was placed at the price of $129.92. I wonder how the various distributors will handle the increases on backorders. When I worked in the corporate world, we did not mark up prices on backorders that were placed in good faith by customers. We wanted those customers for future orders as well...

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Just one thought regarding the Chinese knock-offs: How often do you open your hood? With a new engine you probably don't check the oil every time you fill up (I know, that's a bad habit). Filling the windshield washer fluid reservoir maybe once a month. Hosing down after mudding, per the recent posts. Installing your favorite electrical accessory. Bottom line is that a "heavy user" might open his/her hood 20 times per year. Over 5 or 10 years of ownership, that is only 100-200 times that the Hood Lock has to function with a unlock/lock cycle. So if there are some lower-quality, lower-service life aspects to the Chinese knock-offs, it's not as if a Hood Lock has to cycle/function daily, like your house or apartment entry locks.

So maybe the Chinese knock-offs won't be the same quality as the FCA/Bolt final product "if/when," but perhaps they will be "good enough."

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly it’s just pure capitalism on a global scale. You’ll see manufacturers have the ability to market and sell their own wares (may be OE supplier or copied). Obviously there are accountability and quality risks when there are language and cultural barriers...but, it’s a hood lock.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BLACKMOAB

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Just one thought regarding the Chinese knock-offs: How often do you open your hood? With a new engine you probably don't check the oil every time you fill up (I know, that's a bad habit). Filling the windshield washer fluid reservoir maybe once a month. Hosing down after mudding, per the recent posts. Installing your favorite electrical accessory. Bottom line is that a "heavy user" might open his/her hood 20 times per year. Over 5 or 10 years of ownership, that is only 100-200 times that the Hood Lock has to function with a unlock/lock cycle. So if there are some lower-quality, lower-service life aspects to the Chinese knock-offs, it's not as if a Hood Lock has to cycle/function daily, like your house or apartment entry locks.

So maybe the Chinese knock-offs won't be the same quality as the FCA/Bolt final product "if/when," but perhaps they will be "good enough."
Does anyone know where Bolt locking products are made? Also, if Bolt will indeed be the supplier of the Mopar branded locks, what technology of key learning will be used on the Mopar version? Bolt will use the “auto learning” method which I believe that they patented, but Mopar has historically used the manual pin placement method like the way they did and do on their locking gas cap.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Does anyone know where Bolt locking products are made? Also, if Bolt will indeed be the supplier of the Mopar branded locks, what technology of key learning will be used on the Mopar version? Bolt will use the “auto learning” method which I believe that they patented, but Mopar has historically used the manual pin placement method like the way they did and do on their locking gas cap.
Bolt claims, in my questioning them, that all their products are made in the US.

Bolt is suppose to supply MOPAR with its version of the lock, which is suppose to be of the auto matching variety, on which Bolt holds the patents, not the "adjust the pins" version you refer to that can be seen, for example, on the JL's matching key gas cap lock.

It is my guess that the delays are as a result of FCA strong arming STRATTEC, Bolt's parent company with new designs and changes, and how each company's lock will differ, and that somehow also make the lock compatible with the Gladiator and its similar grill real estate occupying forward facing camera, all while shoving non-disclosure agreements down Bolt's ass, like FCA does all their vendors.

Really....18 months for Bolt to produce the lock due to supplier problems, all while the Chinese have reversed engineered the product and produced it for sale.

Cmon, give me a break. I don't buy "vendor problems" at all. It's a piece of bent steel, a grill insert and Bolt's key matching technology cylinder. This is exactly what I wrote to Stattec's CEO, who didn't write back I suspect because he contractually can't.

Want to see someone get quiet...ask Bolt's Jason Buckles, who is probably reading this, the product's manager to comment on the delay.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
The guys at BOLT told me 6 months ago they make the Mopar hood lock just like theirs that you see here in these video.They told me If Mopar doesn't hurry up and give them the go ahead to make the hood lock for them that BOLT will be making theirs first which is the same lock but they just put their name on it when they sell it. So I hope they hurry up and do it. I talked to them again last week and its gonna happen real soon he said on the phone. I don't why Mopar doesn't just make it on the Jeep when they sell it. How many vehicles do you know of that doesn't even come with a hood lock ?Cant be to many is there is ?

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Mopar hood lock is now available (in stock for shipment today) on the Quadratec website. But, at $225 , YIKES!!!
I'm waiting for Bolt.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Mopar hood lock is now available (in stock for shipment today) on the Quadratec website. But, at $225 , YIKES!!!
I'm waiting for Bolt.
Too bad the Mopar is not a simple re-key like the BOLT. The Mopar gas cap re-key is not difficult but takes time and is a added step. Mopar shot themselves in the foot. Easy call for me. Im waiting. The BOLT has a list price for about 1/2 the cost of the Mopar. Hopefully they don't raise the price. The BOLTre-key feature is the deal sealer for me. The BOLT is worth it even if it was the same price as the Mopar just for the re-key feature.

Last edited:

Qurtyslyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Well, all the fluid caps and my dipstick got swiped out of my Jeep over the weekend, so it'd be nice if Bolt/Mopar would get their crap together so I can lock my hood down.

OP
OP
BLACKMOAB

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Well, all the fluid caps and my dipstick got swiped out of my Jeep over the weekend, so it'd be nice if Bolt/Mopar would get their crap together so I can lock my hood down.
That's crazy that someone would steal a bunch of inexpensive parts like that. Another JL owner that wanted spares???

Qurtyslyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
That's crazy that someone would steal a bunch of inexpensive parts like that. Another JL owner that wanted spares???
My guess is some punk kids with nothing better to do than mess with other people's stuff.

Bad news is I went to the desert and played around with all the caps missing. Didn't notice it until my brother noticed the dipstick hanging down beneath the engine bay.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My guess is some punk kids with nothing better to do than mess with other people's stuff.

Bad news is I went to the desert and played around with all the caps missing. Didn't notice it until my brother noticed the dipstick hanging down beneath the engine bay.
Yikes. Did any brake fluid slosh out? I'd be livid.
Sponsored