Sponsored

Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics!

TallDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR-XR
Howdy all!

I actually took the time to document installing some lights 😁!

I gotta say, I’ve never really done something like this before. I took my time, read and researched the steps (probably 4-5 times) so it took me much longer going at my own pace but got it all done and it works, so goal achieved.
Love the plug-n-play capabilities of this kit.
Amazing light output (I’ve never had a-pillar lights before).

1) Got the lights from eBay for ~$320 shipped:
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! 0980ACCD-68FC-4E0B-ACFD-67F6AC9FA855

I went through the instructions one last time (also I read this) and got to work!

2) Removed the antenna (size 13mm I think).
3) Disconnected the battery negative terminal.
4) Removed the 4 bolts holding the cowl (T-30 I think) and set them aside.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! F70CB813-5954-46EF-B086-E354B7BF4603

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! E664DBA6-9108-4221-AB9D-5AABDB5A753F

5) I ran the wiring for both lights along the recommended line/area as per instructions (in front of the top divider thing, sorry not sure what to call that, lol) and behind brackets for a coolant container.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9051

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9052.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9053.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9054.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9055.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9056.JPEG

*I made sure to leave enough length for the cable to reach the lights!*

6) I then found and isolated AUX wire #3 (the orange one, very easy to find and clearly smaller gauge).

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9057.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9058.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9059.JPEG

7) I located the ground I was going to use, very convenient of Jeep to have left one free 😃!

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9060.JPEG

8) I then put the cowls back, test fitted the length of the plugs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9061.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9062.JPEG

9) I installed the Mopar light brackets (82215427AB). I looked hard for the ones with the cut outs as I think they look much better than the filled version of these brackets! Got them from a Mopar dealer on eBay for ~$135 shipped. All required hardware came with the brackets. They have spaces and longer bolts so the brackets make zero contact with the Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9064.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9066.JPEG

10) I stripped the wires, got a waterproof heat-shrink connector (got a variety box at O'Reillys for ~$25) between the lights and the AUX-3 wire and I grounded the light wires.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9067.JPEG

11) At this point I reconnected the negative battery terminal and tested things! Things worked (🥳) so I heat shrunk the connector (with a heat-gun from O'Reillys for ~$25) and installed the lights. I did take the lights off their "U" shaped bracket to secure that as the base and then bolted the lights up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9068.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9069.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9071.JPEG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9072.JPEG

12) Congratulations on your sobriety...oops, wrong meeting/step...mmmmh. Now I zip tied everything to make it pretty. The kit comes with what seems like a lot of zip ties. I hard a difficult time getting them around the area the instructions showed...so I just did what I could and got them around. They kept going behind some glued on material that's insulation or fireproof stuff or both. Anyways I finally got like 3 outta 4 and called that good (I used a random spot for the last one) and got that all tidied up, then ziptied the what felt like 3 times the necessary length in wires to do the install and that was that!

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9073.JPEG

13) I reinstalled the antenna (size 13mm I think).

That's all!

Pics from Before/After.

Before:
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9047

After:
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9075.JPEG

Before (passenger):
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9046.JPEG

After (passenger):
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9074.JPEG

Before (driver):
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9048.JPEG

After (driver):
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9076.JPEG

Hope someone finds this useful!

These lights are AMAZINGLY bright. Makes me wonder if I still "want" the 7inch ones to mount on the bumper...

Yes it too me so long the rain on the Jeep dried up...😅 It was about 3 hours for me.

This really doesn't do them justice but it lit up my whole neighborhood (no joke)...

Off:
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9078.JPEG

On:
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9079.JPEG
Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Looks good! Super satisfying to complete a project on your rig doing it yourself, isn’t it?

Nice work 👍🏼

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Nicely done, and excellent documentation of the process. Your jeep looks awesome.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Very nice. I also installed the "small" light, but from Rigid. I'm glad I didn't buy the bigger ones, I am very pleased with the output of the small ones.

That's a great color jeep, btw.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Howdy all!

I actually took the time to document installing some lights 😁!

I gotta say, I’ve never really done something like this before. I took my time, read and researched the steps (probably 4-5 times) so it took me much longer going at my own pace but got it all done and it works, so goal achieved.
Love the plug-n-play capabilities of this kit.
Amazing light output (I’ve never had a-pillar lights before).

1) Got the lights from eBay for ~$320 shipped:
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! IMG_9079.JPEG

I went through the instructions one last time (also I read this) and got to work!

2) Removed the antenna (size 13mm I think).
3) Disconnected the battery negative terminal.
4) Removed the 4 bolts holding the cowl (T-30 I think) and set them aside.

5) I ran the wiring for both lights along the recommended line/area as per instructions (in front of the top divider thing, sorry not sure what to call that, lol) and behind brackets for a coolant container.

*I made sure to leave enough length for the cable to reach the lights!*

6) I then found and isolated AUX wire #3 (the orange one, very easy to find and clearly smaller gauge).

7) I located the ground I was going to use, very convenient of Jeep to have left one free 😃!

8) I then put the cowls back, test fitted the length of the plugs.

9) I installed the Mopar light brackets (82215427AB). I looked hard for the ones with the cut outs as I think they look much better than the filled version of these brackets! Got them from a Mopar dealer on eBay for ~$135 shipped. All required hardware came with the brackets. They have spaces and longer bolts so the brackets make zero contact with the Jeep.

10) I stripped the wires, got a waterproof heat-shrink connector (got a variety box at O'Reillys for ~$25) between the lights and the AUX-3 wire and I grounded the light wires.

11) At this point I reconnected the negative battery terminal and tested things! Things worked (🥳) so I heat shrunk the connector (with a heat-gun from O'Reillys for ~$25) and installed the lights. I did take the lights off their "U" shaped bracket to secure that as the base and then bolted the lights up.

12) Congratulations on your sobriety...oops, wrong meeting/step...mmmmh. Now I zip tied everything to make it pretty. The kit comes with what seems like a lot of zip ties. I hard a difficult time getting them around the area the instructions showed...so I just did what I could and got them around. They kept going behind some glued on material that's insulation or fireproof stuff or both. Anyways I finally got like 3 outta 4 and called that good (I used a random spot for the last one) and got that all tidied up, then ziptied the what felt like 3 times the necessary length in wires to do the install and that was that!

13) I reinstalled the antenna (size 13mm I think).

That's all!

Pics from Before/After.

Before:

After:

Before (passenger):

After (passenger):

Before (driver):

After (driver):

Hope someone finds this useful!

These lights are AMAZINGLY bright. Makes me wonder if I still "want" the 7inch ones to mount on the bumper...

Yes it too me so long the rain on the Jeep dried up...😅 It was about 3 hours for me.

This really doesn't do them justice but it lit up my whole neighborhood (no joke)...

Off:

On:

How long is the mounting bolt? im looking at different cowl mounting brackets and the ones I like only have about 3/4 clearnce
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar 5 inch LED off-road lights! A-pillar install! Pics! 1640916184674

Sponsored

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I have the larger ones on my bumper...bright as hell...do you get alot of hood reflection with those?

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
Really good and great documentation on the build. Better to go slow and get it all right than to rush and have to go back and fix things. Keep in mind that if you disconnected the IBS, it will have to go through a learning process so the voltmeter reading will be different than before you started.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TallDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR-XR
@TallDude
hard to tell in the pics; does this setup allow your windshield to still be folded down without interference?
Yeah they would mounted as is. If you side mount them then you can fold the windshield down! That bracket offers either option to top or side mount II believe.

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent walk-through! I'm going to be doing this sometime soon, but probably with KC lights. I will be using the MOPAR brackets though.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Very nice and bright
Sponsored