jeep31

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
Hi all,

I'm installing the 2" lift kit from Mopar on my JLU Sport.
So far so good, I completed up to step 32 on the instructions, and will start the rear tomorrow.

I am uncertain on something though. Accordingly to the instructions, and several post on the forum, I should not fully tighten the fasteners, but wait until all the wheels are on the ground.
My question is how loose/tighten should the bolts be? Should I be able to shake a control arms and see/hear it's moving, or should I tighten with a normal ratchet until it's tight/not moving?

Thanks!
Sponsored

doug_outlawoffroad

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU (Black)
There is no specific spec for how loose the fasteners should be prior to putting it back on the ground. We just run the nuts/bolts up until just before snug. The idea is not to tighten up to a point where you limit joint movement when putting the Jeep back on the ground. The joints will "rotate" into position as the Jeep is lowered. Then you can start paying attention to torque specs.

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The reason for waiting to torque the control arms and components is because the bearings in the control arms have serrations that bite into the respective anchor points. If you torqued them while unloaded they would have undue stress while loaded. Just make sure that they are loose enough for the bearing points to be able to rotate into the loaded positions.

If that makes sense.

OP
OP

jeep31

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just make sure that they are loose enough for the bearing points to be able to rotate into the loaded positions.
Got it, I find it hard to tell, oh well.. I just hope there is no risk of having them too loose. For now it's front wheels on the ground while I'll work on the rear.

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Got it, I find it hard to tell, oh well.. I just hope there is no risk of having them too loose. For now it's front wheels on the ground while I'll work on the rear.
When I did mine the bolts were very loose. You’ll be fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jeep31

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I did mine the bolts were very loose. You’ll be fine.
Ok, thanks.
Did you put the transmission in neutral? Looks like the instructions recommend it. I've never tried yet to put the Jeep in neutral with the engine off with the auto transmission

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ok, thanks.
Did you put the transmission in neutral? Looks like the instructions recommend it. I've never tried yet to put the Jeep in neutral with the engine off with the auto transmission
I did not. No desire to be underneath a vehicle that wasn’t in park.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
This is the closest topic I can find to my question so hoping you can answer since you recently did it.

I installed the mopar lift and I can't get the top nut torqued. I used an impact gun to put it on so it would tighten without just spinning. However, when torqueing it, now it just spins again. Any tips?

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
This is the closest topic I can find to my question so hoping you can answer since you recently did it.

I installed the mopar lift and I can't get the top nut torqued. I used an impact gun to put it on so it would tighten without just spinning. However, when torqueing it, now it just spins again. Any tips?
Top nut for what?

Curious as I’m going to install rubi take offs next weekend.. not quite mopar lift but close enough in process.. also I see people suggesting loosen control arm bolts even if you’re not replacing the control arm - is that referring to lower control arm or upper or both? Still learning. Appreciate the help from everyone here! :)

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Top nut for what?

Curious as I’m going to install rubi take offs next weekend.. not quite mopar lift but close enough in process.. also I see people suggesting loosen control arm bolts even if you’re not replacing the control arm - is that referring to lower control arm or upper or both? Still learning. Appreciate the help from everyone here! :)
Sorry, thought I had that, sway bar link
Sponsored