Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! What size tires are those and why did you upgrade the steering stabilizer ?

I have my mopar lift that's in the garage and getting installed next month on the 17th
I upgraded to a 2.0 Fox stabilizer to help keep those big, heavy 35-inch tires under control.
Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Nice I bought it from the same place, how much are you paying for the install? I called all my local dealers and cheapest I can find it is supposedly $620 for the labor to install. My apt is on the 17th
About the same, and they're hitting me for alignment and computer calibration on top because I didn't buy the kit from them. Still came out ahead.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I upgraded to a 2.0 Fox stabilizer to help keep those big, heavy 35-inch tires under control.
I think that's a good call and planning to do the same. The Service Advisor at the dealer went so far as to tell me that most cases of death wobble he has seen has been caused by a dead steering stabilizer... that it should be changed out ever year or so. Depending on your mileage this may seem like overkill - or - a good idea.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think that's a good call and planning to do the same. The Service Advisor at the dealer went so far as to tell me that most cases of death wobble he has seen has been caused by a dead steering stabilizer... that it should be changed out ever year or so. Depending on your mileage this may seem like overkill - or - a good idea.
My Jeep developed bump-steer with the lift and the 35s. Swapping the wimpy OE stabilizer with a Fox 2.0 eliminated most of it.

Last edited:

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep developed bump-steer after the lift and the 35s. Swapping the wimpy OE stabilizer with a Fox 2.0 eliminated most of it.
I believe it. It's one component that seems logically linked to so much - and it's also relatively inexpensive and easy to address. I'll have one ready when I take mine in for the install.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I've had this lift for over 3 years now and the only problem I've had was a leaky front shock that I managed to get replaced under warranty. Since I bought and installed his lift after it came out, it was one of the early versions that had the faulty spring isolators, but that was easy enough to replace once the revisions were released.

The lift has served its purpose well. I don't do extreme wheeling, but I definitely put my Jeep through its paces and I haven't encountered an obstacle or trail that made me wish I had something different. I've since replaced trackbars, drag links, tie rods and what not, but I think the only major limitation for the kind of trails I do would be the shock extension length vs. what you'd normally get from any other lift kit or aftermarket shock.

That being said, I'm not sure how much longer these shocks will last, but so far they're holding up great.

OP
OP
Austin23

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Nice! What size tires are those and why did you upgrade the steering stabilizer ?

I have my mopar lift that's in the garage and getting installed next month on the 17th
35x12.5 on 17 inch rims. I decided to upgrade the Steering stabilizer, as others have recommended, to help absorb the extra load from the recently installed larger, heavier tires. It's a relatively inexpensive and easy upgrade and since I was changing the front end geometry, I felt this was a worthwhile preventative measure to help avoid any future bump steer issues.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My Jeep developed bump-steer with the lift and the 35s. Swapping the wimpy OE stabilizer with a Fox 2.0 eliminated most of it.
Do you happen to have the part # for the 2.0 Fox stabilizer? How much did you pay and from where?

I'll buy one and have it installed when they do my lift.

Thank you again

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
So I see a lot of folks upgrading their steering stabilizer. I've always run stock on my other Jeeps. It used to be common belief that adding bigger steering stabilizers was more of a band-aid than a fix to the problem which is generally caused by improper tie-rod/track bar adjustments. Now, if you're out hauling ass through the desert, that's a bit of a different story, but if your bump steer is on road or meandering down trails you generally shouldn't need it. Often times just a bit of toe in, but still within spec, fixes the issue

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Do you happen to have the part # for the 2.0 Fox stabilizer? How much did you pay and from where?

I'll buy one and have it installed when they do my lift.

Thank you again
This is it. I paid $126 several months ago, but it’s gone up in price like everything else.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNMCP95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS - some Jeep owners, myself included, report having problems fitting the stabilizer into one of the Jeep mounts. On some JLs, the stabilizer Mount is 1-2mm too narrow to take the stabilizer. I was able to pound the chromoly stabilizer down enough with a mallet and an anvil for it to fit.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So I see a lot of folks upgrading their steering stabilizer. I've always run stock on my other Jeeps. It used to be common belief that adding bigger steering stabilizers was more of a band-aid than a fix to the problem which is generally caused by improper tie-rod/track bar adjustments. Now, if you're out hauling ass through the desert, that's a bit of a different story, but if your bump steer is on road or meandering down trails you generally shouldn't need it. Often times just a bit of toe in, but still within spec, fixes the issue
I disagree. I had a highly specialized shop do the alignment.

In my case, the bump steer was caused by the 35x12.5 tires, which weigh an additional 22 lbs each over the stock tires, pull the steering side-to-side under heavy braking. The OE stabilizer simply was not up to the task.

The much beefier Fox 2.0 stabilizer took care of it.

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Administrator
I disagree. I had a highly specialized shop do the alignment.

In my case, the bump steer was caused by the 35x12.5 tires, which weigh an additional 22 lbs each over the stock tires, pull the steering side-to-side under heavy braking. The OE stabilizer simply was not up to the task.

The much beefier Fox 2.0 stabilizer took care of it.

Did it fix it, or did it mask it?

Based on my experience, I would suggest it masked it, and there's something else going on. I ran 35" SSRs (you don't get a lot heaver 35" tire than those) and didn't require buying a beefier stabilizer.

Did this highly specialized shop also install your lift? And did your lift include all the correct components to correct your steering geometry?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Did it fix it, or did it mask it?

Based on my experience, I would suggest it masked it, and there's something else going on. I ran 35" SSRs (you don't get a lot heaver 35" tire than those) and didn't require buying a beefier stabilizer.

Did this highly specialized shop also install your lift? And did your lift include all the correct components to correct your steering geometry?
If the bump steer comes from the heavy tires and the beefier stabilizer addressed it, it fixed it in my book.

You can call it whatever you want.

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Administrator

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m no mechanic, but know this: over time, and depending how the vehicle is driven, shocks lose their ability to absorb shock. When they do they need to be replaced. It makes sense to me that the steering stab - being a shock - eventually loses its ability to function as designed. When the Service Advisor advised me to replace mine each year it made sense and I’ll do it. What ever else happens, it won’t be the steering stab causing it. Removing that relatively simple component from the variable column also makes sense to me.
Sponsored