Sponsored

JLSahara18

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara 3.6
First of all I would like to thank all for those who contribute on this forum. Finding this forum has been extremely informative dealing with my issue.

Below is a timeline of events of the onset of the issue to the current status:

March 17, 2018
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara purchased from AutoNation CDJR Katy, Texas

December 2018
~13k - New onset of steering wheel shimmy that I did not think much at the time when go over road imperfections.

January 2019
~14k - Steering wheel issues begin to worsen with vigorous shaking when driving over road imperfections. Self resolves after slowing down vehicle to 40-50 mph from +65 mph. Some events required pulling over to the emergency lane for violent shaking.
  • Jan 15 - Visit #1 -Arrived at 0725 and waited for vehicle at AutoNation CDJR Katy for steering concerns. Service advisor stated they would not be able to provide a loaner as issue needs to be diagnosed to be eligible for loaner and my work was out of the shuttle operating area and subsequently was not unable to attend work this day. Service advisor offered to do 15k oil change and tire rotation and agreed upon work. 11:00 a different service advisor had notified me that my Wrangler was ready and that they oil change, tire rotation, and "screws and bolts have been re-tightened and vehicle was road tested." Departed the dealership at 11:45. There was a noticeable difference in the steering effort as the turns required a bit more effort prior to the service, however 20 minutes in on the ride home, the shaking episodes re-occurred.
  • Jan 17 - Reached out to Jeep Cares and was referred to Jeep Wave. Jeep Wave Rep made another appointment at Auto Nation CDJR and attempted to secure rental/loaner for myself, but was unsuccessful. AutoNation CDJR stated that the Wrangler would need to be diagnosed first prior to authorizing a rental. Jeep Wave Rep reached out to Gillman CDJR and was successful in making an appointment and securing a rental.
  • Jan 29 - Visit #2 - ~14,600 miles Wrangler dropped off at Gillman CDJR. 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 Door was offered at Enterprise. (Side note: 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 door did not exhibit any steering issues driving over the same surfaces during the duration of having the Jeep Wrangler JK 2 door. Steering was direct without any shaking/wobbling issues.)
February 2019
  • Feb 1 - Updated received, steering stabilizer to be replaced after final diagnosis from tech.

• Feb 4 - Steering stabilizer replacement completed. Came to pick up vehicle around 1100. Service advisor was unable to locate my Wrangler for 30 minutes. After needing assistance they found my Wrangler however the battery had been depleted. Per my service advisor, a technician left the cabin light on resulting in the depleted battery. Vehicle had to be pushed to the garage to have the battery charged. Service advisor informed it would take 1 hour, which subsequently ended up taking >2 hrs. After receiving the vehicle and driving it home, it seemed that the steering stabilizer had resolved the issue, however but not 100%. A slight shimmy over road imperfections still existed. Total Days at Dealership = 7 Days. 14,700 miles.
March 2019
  • March 8 - Jeep Wave Rep followed up with me regarding the my issue, and my case closed, as the vehicle seemed safe to drive.

• March 29 - 16,800 miles - Gradual return over few weeks of steering wheel shaking into violent shaking over road imperfections, requiring frequent deceleration and pulling over to the side to stop the shaking. Also, new onset of symptoms occurred as the steering wheel has become loose and not direct with the wheels and resulting in wandering, drifting, multiple corrections to steering when driving straight. Contacted Jeep Wave.
April 2019
  • April 2 - Received contact from a new Jeep Wave Representative. Per Jeep Wave Rep, possible upgrade of Fox steering stabilizer. Jeep Wave Rep was able to secure an appointment and rental car from Gillman CDJR on April 9.
  • April 9 - Visit #3 ~17,200 miles - Wrangler dropped off. Ram 1500 Classic offered from Enterprise.
  • April 11 - Attempt to reach out to Jeep Wave Rep. No response.

• April 16 - Attempt to reach out to Jeep Wave Rep. No response.
  • April 17 - Jeep Wave Rep replied back. Stating she reached out to my service advisor and was not available. Will call with new updates.
  • April 19 - 1045 - Reached out to Service advisor. Stated awaiting part. ETA April 30. 1932 - Received update from Jeep Wave Rep. Stated, that a new updated steering stabilizer is needed for my Wrangler, and needs to be allocated to my dealership. The plan was to have the new updated part instead of the Fox steering stabilizer. Estimated date of part to arrive to dealer is April 30. Inquired about expediting part.
  • April 22 - Received email from Jeep Wave Rep. Situation escalated, part expedited, ETA for arrival April 29.
  • April 23 - Received phone call from Service Advisor. Stated still awaiting part, also one of my shocks has to be replaced after closer inspection it may have blown from the violent shaking.
May 2019
  • May 1 - No update provided by Service Advisor or Jeep Wave Rep since April 23. Reached out to both Jeep Wave Rep and Service Advisor. Received email with Service Advisor stated part has been received. Technician to install and road test today.
  • May 2 - No response from Jeep Wave Rep. Awaiting updates for when to pick up vehicle. Current days in dealer for visit #3 24 days and counting as of this post on 5/2/19 at 1750.

I am curious if anyone has been in this situation or is currently dealing with a similar situation that I am in. I do have numerous videos on the the episodes over the span of 4-5 months that I can post later on. What are your thoughts moving forward? This vehicle has remained in stock form since purchase. Some possible thoughts are; 1- sticking with the Wrangler and seeing what comes of it, 2 - Trade in the vehicle?, 3 - Seek legal assistance in facilitating with the Texas Lemon Law.
When the steering issue is at it's most violent it is a huge safety concern for myself and family. I love my Wrangler but I just know know how much longer I can love or handle it anymore.
Sorry for the long post/rant, and I apologize in advanced if this post is not placed in the correct thread. Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

First Name
Kimberly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
First of all I would like to thank all for those who contribute on this forum. Finding this forum has been extremely informative dealing with my issue.

March 17, 2018

December 2018
~13k - New onset of steering wheel shimmy that I did not think much at the time when go over road imperfections.

January 2019
~14k - Steering wheel issues begin to worsen with vigorous shaking when driving over road imperfections. Self resolves after slowing down vehicle to 40-50 mph from +65 mph. Some events required pulling over to the emergency lane for violent shaking.
  • Jan 15 - Visit #1 -Arrived at 0725 and waited for vehicle at AutoNation CDJR Katy for steering concerns. Service advisor stated they would not be able to provide a loaner as issue needs to be diagnosed to be eligible for loaner and my work was out of the shuttle operating area and subsequently was not unable to attend work this day. Service advisor offered to do 15k oil change and tire rotation and agreed upon work. 11:00 a different service advisor had notified me that my Wrangler was ready and that they oil change, tire rotation, and "screws and bolts have been re-tightened and vehicle was road tested." Departed the dealership at 11:45. There was a noticeable difference in the steering effort as the turns required a bit more effort prior to the service, however 20 minutes in on the ride home, the shaking episodes re-occurred.
  • Jan 17 - Reached out to Jeep Cares and was referred to Jeep Wave. Jeep Wave Rep made another appointment at Auto Nation CDJR and attempted to secure rental/loaner for myself, but was unsuccessful. AutoNation CDJR stated that the Wrangler would need to be diagnosed first prior to authorizing a rental. Jeep Wave Rep reached out to Gillman CDJR and was successful in making an appointment and securing a rental.
  • Jan 29 - Visit #2 - ~14,600 miles Wrangler dropped off at Gillman CDJR. 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 Door was offered at Enterprise. (Side note: 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 door did not exhibit any steering issues driving over the same surfaces during the duration of having the Jeep Wrangler JK 2 door. Steering was direct without any shaking/wobbling issues.)
February 2019
  • Feb 1 - Updated received, steering stabilizer to be replaced after final diagnosis from tech.

• Feb 4 - Steering stabilizer replacement completed. Came to pick up vehicle around 1100. Service advisor was unable to locate my Wrangler for 30 minutes. After needing assistance they found my Wrangler however the battery had been depleted. Per my service advisor, a technician left the cabin light on resulting in the depleted battery. Vehicle had to be pushed to the garage to have the battery charged. Service advisor informed it would take 1 hour, which subsequently ended up taking >2 hrs. After receiving the vehicle and driving it home, it seemed that the steering stabilizer had resolved the issue, however but not 100%. A slight shimmy over road imperfections still existed. Total Days at Dealership = 7 Days. 14,700 miles.
March 2019
  • March 8 - Jeep Wave Rep followed up with me regarding the my issue, and my case closed, as the vehicle seemed safe to drive.

• March 29 - 16,800 miles - Gradual return over few weeks of steering wheel shaking into violent shaking over road imperfections, requiring frequent deceleration and pulling over to the side to stop the shaking. Also, new onset of symptoms occurred as the steering wheel has become loose and not direct with the wheels and resulting in wandering, drifting, multiple corrections to steering when driving straight. Contacted Jeep Wave.
April 2019
  • April 2 - Received contact from a new Jeep Wave Representative. Per Jeep Wave Rep, possible upgrade of Fox steering stabilizer. Jeep Wave Rep was able to secure an appointment and rental car from Gillman CDJR on April 9.
  • April 9 - Visit #3 ~17,200 miles - Wrangler dropped off. Ram 1500 Classic offered from Enterprise.

• April 17 - Jeep Wave Rep replied back. Stating she reached out to my service advisor and was not available. Will call with new updates.
  • April 19 - 1045 - Reached out to Service advisor. Stated awaiting part. ETA April 30. 1932 - Received update from Jeep Wave Rep. Stated, that a new updated steering stabilizer is needed for my Wrangler, and needs to be allocated to my dealership. The plan was to have the new updated part instead of the Fox steering stabilizer. Estimated date of part to arrive to dealer is April 30. Inquired about expediting part.
  • April 22 - Received email from Jeep Wave Rep. Situation escalated, part expedited, ETA for arrival April 29.
  • April 23 - Received phone call from Service Advisor. Stated still awaiting part, also one of my shocks has to be replaced after closer inspection it may have blown from the violent shaking.
May 2019
  • May 1 - No update provided by Service Advisor or Jeep Wave Rep since April 23. Reached out to both Jeep Wave Rep and Service Advisor. Received email with Service Advisor stated part has been received. Technician to install and road test today.
  • May 2 - No response from Jeep Wave Rep. Awaiting updates for when to pick up vehicle. Current days in dealer for visit #3 24 days and counting as of this post on 5/2/19 at 1750.
I am curious if anyone has been in this situation or is currently dealing with a similar situation that I am in. I do have numerous videos on the the episodes over the span of 4-5 months that I can post later on. What are your thoughts moving forward? This vehicle has remained in stock form since purchase. Some possible thoughts are; 1- sticking with the Wrangler and seeing what comes of it, 2 - Trade in the vehicle?, 3 - Seek legal assistance in facilitating with the Texas Lemon Law.
When the steering issue is at it's most violent it is a huge safety concern for myself and family. I love my Wrangler but I just know know how much longer I can love or handle it anymore.
Sorry for the long post/rant, and I apologize in advanced if this post is not placed in the correct thread. Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

March 17, 2018

December 2018

January 2019
February 2019

March 2019

April 2019

May 2019

I’m not even sure if I’m responding in the right spot. But I’m in a similar situation. I purchased my Wrangler new on October 29. It’s been in the shop for 66 days since purchase. I’m on the 3rd fix for the VIOLENT wobble. It’s not drivable at highway speeds.
And it’s most certainly not safe. My electrical system is a disaster as well. My lights fail and my dashboard lights strobe on and off. My radio has been replaced 3x. My wiring harness has been rewired, I have a new alternator, a new battery and some new module that was supposed to fix the issues.
I too have several videos to back up both issues. Recently FCA ( who is NO help) advised me to go through arbitration. They use their own company. Guess what? I lost arbitration. While they unanimously agreed that it had manufactured defects, it does not lessen the value of my car and they feel it’s safe to drive. I’m trying to decide...trade it in or go lemon law route.
This isn’t my first Wrangler. I loved my previous Wrangler and never had a single problem. Best of luck to you. I think we’re both going to need it.

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
Im in a similar situation except mine appeared after having the dealer install the mopar lift im going in for yet another steering stabilizer next week and have them check the steering box listed in a star case

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Had drifting and horrible unsafe steering with 2019 JLU.

@JeepCares helped a lot.

Steering box was replaced (finally) when the TSB was done. It wasn't perfect; however, it was safe.

Selling dealer took it out at low speed on smooth roads. They couldn't replicate the problem. Refused. Another dealer fixed it.

I know it's an old post. I hope your issues were solved.
Sponsored