jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon 2019 Jeep Cherokee , 2015 ford mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been looking at getting a liner for my hardtop. I don’t want to spend over$300. Cause I think I could make one myself. I really like the Jtop that fits the jk’s. If they make one for the jl I will order one.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I’ve been looking at getting a liner for my hardtop. I don’t want to spend over$300. Cause I think I could make one myself. I really like the Jtop that fits the jk’s. If they make one for the jl I will order one.
I'm not pro or anti liner. But I'm interested in knowing why you are considering one.

I say this because such liners are notoriously best at climate control--and within that realm, heat reduction rather than retention.

This isn't to say that they don't reduce noise a bit, or for some create a desired internal aesthetic, just that if noise reduction is your angle, you may end up disappointed.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
A little off topic but do the hardtops get that hot compared to standard vehicles? I've lived in Texas my entire life so it gets toasty here. I have the soft top only Wrangler and it doesn't get any hotter than a standard tin roof vehicle with a non-insulated headliner.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Money to Burn would be a good Jeep name. Someone should make up decals.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
A little off topic but do the hardtops get that hot compared to standard vehicles? I've lived in Texas my entire life so it gets toasty here. I have the soft top only Wrangler and it doesn't get any hotter than a standard tin roof vehicle with a non-insulated headliner.
Yes, they get very hot. In the summer you can feel the heat just hovering over your head when you first get in it. It gets very warm to the touch from the inside.

OP
OP

jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Noise reduction and inside temperature is my main issues. I’ve also heard it helps with audio which I love. I have the premium stereo. I do like diy projects and once the world starts up again. I plan to shop for some material to do it myself cause I have not found any that I think is worth the price.

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I had the hothead liners in my JK and loved them. Currently have the Mopar liners in my JL. They are ok but if I had to choose it would be the hotheads.

OP
OP

jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had the hothead liners in my JK and loved them. Currently have the Mopar liners in my JL. They are ok but if I had to choose it would be the hotheads.
Did you do the installation?

Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
It's not really temperature you're feeling, but heat transfer. If you leave two identical Jeeps out in the sun, but one has leather seats and the other has cloth seats, the temperature of the seats is the same (after an hour or so), but the leather transfers heat to your back more readily. The leather isn't "hotter" it's just a better conductor of heat.

I remember going to a summer car rally, and seeing people cover their metal shift knobs with a sock, thinking they wouldn't get hot "insulated" from the sun. But at the end of the day, the covered shift knobs felt just as hot as the uncovered metal shift knobs, because they were the same temperature.

Liners aren't going to help much with insulation, but they do provide a barrier to heat transfer. The surface of an unlined or lined hard top under similar conditions settles to the same temperature, it's just that the lined hardtop won't transfer as much heat to a person. The lined top isn't cooler (in terms of temperature), it just "feels" cooler (less heat transfer).

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Yes, they get very hot. In the summer you can feel the heat just hovering over your head when you first get in it. It gets very warm to the touch from the inside.
they can get a little toasty, but not as bad. i really dont feel the heat from the top just because i'm use to it and i work outside in the hot summer days (letter carrier). beside that, with a small interior space (2 door jl) it will cool down fast within 5 mins when the a/c is cranked up.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I priced the material out to DIY it and it was pretty cheap. Hardware stores are all open and I believe fabric stores are as well. Nothing stoping you from doing it now.

I decided not do build them as I just don't care enough. Plus my soft top is on 6 months a year.

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
I did the Hothead headliner with the Noise Assassin strips in my 2020 Willys, and it was pretty easy. Hardest bit was going to Home Depot on a Saturday in this quarantine to get some acetone.
Sponsored