Molle First Aid and Survival bags/kits

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
You're out in the desert, hiking, someone falls and breaks a leg or arm...where do you get a splint long enough to be useful?
I bought an cheap inflatable splint for an overland trip. Never thought I would use it. A member of the family jumped off a three foot ledge and fractured a leg. The splint kept the leg immobile until we could get to a hospital. I bought a replacement splint to keep in the Jeep from then on. Being inflatable, it takes up very little room.
Sponsored

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
What kind of setups are you looking for?

My current setup on my battle belt for range and course work is the ronin senshi belt, setup with this cool little IFAK. I'm really loving it right now.

HSGI Bleeder/Blowout Pouch

ezgif_com_resize_3.jpg
I do like the HSGI pouch but use the Coyote Tactical STOMP kit on my belt as an IFAK. Still enough room for some booboo stuff too. I was more referring to pics of setups on the JLUR seats. I think I'll have an IFAK/Booboo pouch on one side and a sort of go bag on another side with mags and ammo.

Maybe setup to where I can bum off of when at the range or whatever .

Last edited:

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I do like the HSGI pouch but use the Coyote Tactical STOMP kit on my belt as an IFAK. Still enough room for some booboo stuff too. I was more referring to pics of setups on the JLUR seats. I think I'll have an IFAK/Booboo pouch on one side and a sort of go bag on another side with mags and ammo.

Maybe setup to where I can bum off of when at the range or whatever .
I really want to find a low profile metal drawer storage solution for the back of the JLU for go bag, ammo, etc.
Nothing really out yet that fits what I'm looking for.
Oh and I have the HSGI M3T Pouch as well, I like it a lot but its kind of intrusive and I lost its contents on a course once and I haven't trusted it since.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
This is probably the best solution for the person who wants to have a quick and easy setup kit without the hassle of putting it together. Price isn't too bad either. However the video above shows the "advanced" bag which is actually $200 not $100 like the "basic" bag.

For what its worth, that is the exact bag (not same manufacturer) I linked to earlier, many people have copied that design and its by far my favorite designed bag yet. However, for those a little more adventurous or budget minded, you can get the condor (arguable one of the best tactical manufactures out there) bag for $20 and have $180 to fill with specific contents. Or get a Springtail bag and load it yourself. Would be more specific to your needs and skills and likely much cheaper. You could really invest in more contents with the extra money as well.

Research on the SWAT-T tourniquet.
Oops....my bad! I knew that sounded way too good to be true.

I made a list a while back of what I keep in the big orange bag....mostly for handling mechanical injuries and designed to handle temperature variations without having to be restocked often....

Bandages

(3) 3x18 inch Vasoline impregnated gauze
(2) 3 x 75 inch stretch bandage (kling)
(1) 6 inch Kling bandage
(5) 3 x 8 inch Telfa dressing
(2) 12 x 30 Multi Trauma Dressing
(2) 4x4 gauze sponge 10 packs....Plastic tubs
(2) 2 inch Coban wrap
(3) 8x 10 inch abd pad
(2) 3 inch ace wrap
(5) 2 x 3 inch telfa pad
(5) 4 x 3 inch Telfa pad
Selection of Bandaids
Misc

(1) EZ Scrub sponge with nail cleaner (no soap or betadine on scrubber)
(2) pair rubber gloves Large
(1) #11 Scalpel
(1) 1 inch plastic tape
(1) 1 inch fabric tape
(1) trauma shears
(1) Multi-tool or pocket knife
(1) Convenience barf bag
(1) travel size bar of soap
(1) Stay Dry ice pack: I have actually replaced this with a seal-able ice pouch....that I can fill with my own ice. The chemical pouches seem to go bad pretty quick.
Bacitracin Ointment OTC
Tylenol ES OTC
Benadryl Tabs OTC
All weather matches
LED Headlamp
Magnifiers (OK they are F'n reading glasses....because my vision went to hell after 40)

Doc

sleepnclass

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Nice....easily one of the best set up kits that I have seen! Well worth the $100.00

That said.....IMHO: Some of the contents of that kit is well beyond the skill level of the average person. That and there are a lot of expirable (is that a word??) components of the kit that would need to be watched....in particular the meds.

One bit of warning....the oral benzocaine (oragel) should probably be tossed as the FDA just put out a pretty stern warning about it and it will probably get pulled from the shelves soon.

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm608265.htm

My preference would be a larger supply of bandaids and gauze, non-stick telfa and coban (non-stick wrap which incidentally can be bought for less than a dollar at farm stores in the horse section). I would toss the burn creams unless you just want to piss off the staff in the ER when you go there. The tourniquet is a great idea if you are trained in its use....It is my understanding that RATS have fallen out of favor for other types. Stitching should be left to the professionals as closing a dirty wound is never a good idea unless temporally for hemostasis....back to the idea of more bandages and coban.

Unless they sell replenish-able component packs like Adventure Medical kits do.....For the very reasonable cost of $100, I would mark the kit with an expiration date of say 3 years and just toss it and buy a new one every 3 years ($33 per year is cheap insurance).

Doc
Agree, the best way is to just make your own. I don’t really have time for that at the moment though. Lot going where I don’t have much free time. Figured it was better than having nothing though and it seems well put together if a little steep for what it is.

But I’m also assuming you’re being charged for labor for someone to put it together, etc.

If I had the time I’d buy a good vanquest pouch and head to Walgreens.

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I've been eyeballing this thread for a while...

The 30-thousand-foot view of this topic suggests that there are a select few who care enough about having a med pack at all or have even thought about the utility of these items in the field or the real-life prospect of having to use these items on a loved one. I for one love this kind of stuff and personally carry a pack that contains ACLS-related stuff including intubation equipment.

I would put it out there that the single most important item for the layperson to have in order to save lives in what basically amounts to wilderness medicine is a satellite phone or at least a cell signal booster to call for help.

-J

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I've been eyeballing this thread for a while...

The 30-thousand-foot view of this topic suggests that there are a select few who care enough about having a med pack at all or have even thought about the utility of these items in the field or the real-life prospect of having to use these items on a loved one. I for one love this kind of stuff and personally carry a pack that contains ACLS-related stuff including intubation equipment.

I would put it out there that the single most important item for the layperson to have in order to save lives in what basically amounts to wilderness medicine is a satellite phone or at least a cell signal booster to call for help.

-J
Agreed....I relate this to the gun world where there are all sorts of people who will accumulate/collect a large selection of items/guns/ammo/etc.....BUT sadly, very few will actually make the effort to get trained to know how to use the products they have accumulated.

I have a teen driver that we are beginning to train for the road so we are going through the routine of changing tires, jumping a car, recovery points etc. At certain points in the training I will ask her repeatedly "Why are we doing this".....The answer?? "Because you said no one is coming to save me...Dad". Which I have personally experienced in the winter of 1994 when my FJ40 broke down....it took 3 days for a tow truck to come get my truck because they were backlogged with so many other cold related breakdowns. I hoofed it 4 miles in subzero weather to get home. At least I was smart enough to be appropriately dressed and to know my route where there were areas to stop and warm up.

I think that the affordable satellite phone is a nice recent advance.....hopefully people will be smart enough to keep them charged.

Doc

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Agreed....I relate this to the gun world where there are all sorts of people who will accumulate/collect a large selection of items/guns/ammo/etc.....BUT sadly, very few will actually make the effort to get trained to know how to use the products they have accumulated.

I have a teen driver that we are beginning to train for the road so we are going through the routine of changing tires, jumping a car, recovery points etc. At certain points in the training I will ask her repeatedly "Why are we doing this".....The answer?? "Because you said no one is coming to save me...Dad". Which I have personally experienced in the winter of 1994 when my FJ40 broke down....it took 3 days for a tow truck to come get my truck because they were backlogged with so many other cold related breakdowns. I hoofed it 4 miles in subzero weather to get home. At least I was smart enough to be appropriately dressed and to know my route where there were areas to stop and warm up.

I think that the affordable satellite phone is a nice recent advance.....hopefully people will be smart enough to keep them charged.

Doc
What about Garmin inReach or SPOT, they use the same iridium network that the satellite phones do, and some models include the way for others to track your location as well as having the important SOS button in case a significant emergency arises. The SOS devices transmit your location to emergency services which might be more valuable than verbally communicating location via a sat phone.

Another consideration is where you keep your SOS device, I also ride adventure bikes (BMW 1200GS) and don't mount my inReach to the bike in case I get separate from my bike. Just some additional food for thought.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
What about Garmin inReach or SPOT, they use the same iridium network that the satellite phones do, and some models include the way for others to track your location as well as having the important SOS button in case a significant emergency arises. The SOS devices transmit your location to emergency services which might be more valuable than verbally communicating location via a sat phone.

Another consideration is where you keep your SOS device, I also ride adventure bikes (BMW 1200GS) and don't mount my inReach to the bike in case I get separate from my bike. Just some additional food for thought.
I've only come close to needing a satellite phone once....that was about 3 years ago when we were planning a trip to a primitive island off the coast of Belize. Of course.....that was one of the few places on earth that there was no service.

I wonder if there are any success stories of SPOT rescues out there???

Doc

Sponsored

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My new in vehicle med kit for both personal vehicle use and SAR use.
Just the bag, not the full kit as shown on the website, another great example of poorly chosen but highly overpriced med gear.
You can find the bag only for much cheaper if you look.

https://www.narescue.com/nar-4-aid-kit

80-0181_80-0309_80-0314_a.jpg

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Have any of you actually ordered something from MyMedic? I ordered a Basic MyFAK over two weeks ago. I got a receipt with an invoice number but I haven't heard a peep from them since. I've tried reaching them through their Facebook page, through their on line chat, by phone, and by email. I get voicemail when I call them and I never get a response.

They aren't exactly leaving a good impression on me. I guess my order isn't big enough.

bdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Have any of you actually ordered something from MyMedic? I ordered a Basic MyFAK over two weeks ago. I got a receipt with an invoice number but I haven't heard a peep from them since. I've tried reaching them through their Facebook page, through their on line chat, by phone, and by email. I get voicemail when I call them and I never get a response.

They aren't exactly leaving a good impression on me. I guess my order isn't big enough.
I ordered the basic MyFak and it took longer than I was expecting to arrive. I received an email confirmation that it shipped 15 days after ordering. I believe I got it a few days after that email.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Mine took a very long time too. I emailed and got a polite reply saying that they were experiencing delays and please be patient it would ship within another week. It did.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm fine if there are delays or a backlog of orders. What I can't stand is the lack of communication.
Sponsored