Sponsored

Mojito paint or powder coating

MO JEEPO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 Mojito was ordered yesterday needless to say I'm a bit excited...

Found some mopar beadlock wheels today with the show rings not the true beadlock rings. A local tire shop giving me a great price as these wheels are for the JK but will fit the JL as they have already done a few on the JL with no issues.

The plan is to either paint of powder coat the trim rings and I just want some options on which one will be a better match.
A paint shop is telling me they can match 100% now the tire shop is telling me the powder coat guy they use is pretty close to 100%. From pictures they have shown me it looks like the rings they had done on a JL in Mojito look off and way lighter in color. I have been reading Mojito changes color in the light and Im wondering if perhaps thats why the powder coat looks off in pictures.

Thoughts ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Ask @RMojitoJL what he did because he’s got one of the best looking Mojito Jeeps on this forum and he’s running the Mopar beadlocks too.

If you think about it, the match probably not that important (as long as it’s not waaay off) because the wheels aren’t right next to to any painted parts to see a slight difference.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You really dont want painted parts that close to the ground or on wheels. If you do paint them, i would highly recommend powder coating first and then painting over the pc.

-13 years in the wheel biz

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the compliment @Chocolate Thunder Appreciate it!

I agree powder coating is way more durable, etc, etc. So a few things have to come into play. First how close of a match must you have? If you want a 98% match (Nothing will be 100% as its a different paint mix) then you need to go paint. Powder will hold up better and be close, but wont match. If you're wheeling hard and around a lot of rocks... you WILL scratch these sooner than later. That being said, powder is more expensive and have to sand down the ring or sand blast to get the old off when you repowder if you "fix" them. Paint you would sand, but be way less work to do so (or for your painter to do so). I went the paint direction, I went with a mid price at a local shop. IMO it holds up to be very close as a match, they did a great job... easy to fix if I ever damage one in the future.

With that all being said, it depends on what works best for you. Painting them is what was best for myself. I will attach a couple shots in this post so you can see the results and judge for yourself- Hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you need anything at all. :like:

RMojitoJL 702.jpg

RMojitoJL Magic PhotoShoot.jpg

Mojito Flexin.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
MO JEEPO

MO JEEPO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the all the replies folks I'm still on the fence but I have some time since the Jeep is on order now.

OP
OP
MO JEEPO

MO JEEPO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
WOW that ILLUSION SOUR APPLE looks like a perfect match thanks for sharing....

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
WOW that ILLUSION SOUR APPLE looks like a perfect match thanks for sharing....
It appears to be the exact same color with more metallic flake. Do it. DO IT!!!!!

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
I went the powder coat route for my Beadlock rings... and yes, as stated above, not a perfect 100% match. But no one can notice the difference. I think they look great. (You can check out my garage and see for yourself)
Sponsored