Sponsored

Modifying the 3.0 Engine and Exhaust to Delete Emissions, and Boost Power

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
So ... any new update on HPtuners or something from our Northern Neighbors?
Sponsored

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was reading through the Diesel ram forum, and it looks like the ram guys are making a lot more headway than us Jeep guys. Looks like you can keep the EGR valves closed by just unplugging them, but the draw back is that you get a CEL, and remote start will no longer work.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Any word on a tune... I’m debating on adding diesel wrangler to before they kill it.

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Any word on a tune... I’m debating on adding diesel wrangler to before they kill it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Modifying the 3.0 Engine and Exhaust to Delete Emissions, and Boost Power Screenshot_20210407-025352_Instagram

Full delete in the works, I've posted this in another thread but there are several going on.
Always seems to break down into an environmental debate instead of talking about the Jeep.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Jeep Wrangler JL Modifying the 3.0 Engine and Exhaust to Delete Emissions, and Boost Power Screenshot_20210407-025352_Instagram

Full delete in the works, I've posted this in another thread but there are several going on.
Always seems to break down into an environmental debate instead of talking about the Jeep.
Why cant they just plug in a tuner, like other diesel truck tuners?? I wouldn't be comfortable handing over my ECU. Also, any idea the cost of an aftermarket ECU, and flashing it to your vehicle?

Sponsored

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Why cant they just plug in a tuner, like other diesel truck tuners?? I wouldn't be comfortable handing over my ECU. Also, any idea the cost of an aftermarket ECU, and flashing it to your vehicle?
The piggy back tuners like banks and AFE just modify boost and fuel pressure. I don't think they are capable of disabling stuff like the EGR,DEF/SCR. I think the reason why they can't just send you a file and reflash it through the OBDII port is due to security restrictions of newer ECUs. That might change later on down the line after the computer gurus have more time with it.

I am not an expert by any means, that's just my understanding at the moment.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The piggy back tuners like banks and AFE just modify boost and fuel pressure. I don't think they are capable of disabling stuff like the EGR,DEF/SCR. I think the reason why they can't just send you a file and reflash it through the OBDII port is due to security restrictions of newer ECUs. That might change later on down the line after the computer gurus have more time with it.

Some of the Ford and Chevy Diesels, 2014+ years, had their EGR flaps closed, by tuners. I knew people that did this. But, since the Feds came down on a few TV celeb diesel tuners, hard, I think that most are nervous now.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

New ECU's are encrypted so tough to program in the vehicle. If a big enough demand someone will figure it out eventually.

New Corvette is in a similar situation but more momentum to figure it out.

The question is will the tuners want to mess with the Diesel due to the crack downs. The "burning coal" guys really screwed up a good thing.

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Some of the Ford and Chevy Diesels, 2014+ years, had their EGR flaps closed, by tuners. I knew people that did this. But, since the Feds came down on a few TV celeb diesel tuners, hard, I think that most are nervous now.
I guess it's not necessary a matter of capability then just a matter of EPA compliance.
I'd prefer just plugging into the OBDII port myself and doing the flash but I don't know if anyone offering that right now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It awesome to see a tune for the jeep, but what happens if you need to revert it back to the stock tune?

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
It awesome to see a tune for the jeep, but what happens if you need to revert it back to the stock tune?
Depends on what you get, the AFE and Banks tuners can just be removed and that's it.
If you go full delete and ECM flash that would be more difficult. I wouldn't even consider a delete unless you live in a place without emmisons testing.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on what you get, the AFE and Banks tuners can just be removed and that's it.
If you go full delete and ECM flash that would be more difficult. I wouldn't even consider a delete unless you live in a place without emmisons testing.
"TEXAS" No testing here.
Sponsored