Sponsored

Modifying the 3.0 Engine and Exhaust to Delete Emissions, and Boost Power

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Just curious if any of you guys have deleted the emission on the engine and exhaust.

I have a Co-Worker, who owns a Ram 1500 Diesel, with the same 3.0 Diesel engine as are in the Wranglers. He now has around 50,000 on the engine, and had the engine altered at 5,000 miles. He said his oil now looks clean, at the oil changes, where before, it was black as coal at 50 miles. He said he now gets 33 mpg on combined driving. He stated he now has much more power.
I asked what he had done to it, and was told he had reprogramed the ECM, and blocked off the EGR. He stated he left the Diesel Particle Filter in place, but it doesn't give any issues. He did say he runs Distilled Water in place of the Blue DEF. I don't know all the ins and out of modifying these 3.0 Diesels, but he seems to have done his research.
His truck purrs like a kitten, and is just ever so slightly louder than a gas engine. But, unmodified ones sound the same.

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Currently there is NO deletes/tuning on the new 3.0 motor. Good 'ole EPA cracked down recently and will fine anyone who produces these products. The companies used to get around EPA by saying "for off-road use only" and sold the products to anyone. Now the companies can't do anything. It's been said that a few of these places have "moved" overseas or into Canada, but EPA is threatening to stop the import also.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
What year is his truck? No tunes for the newer 3.0 that I know of. Just the first gen motors.
Distilled water is probably just to keep the fluid level sensor happy. He's just being cheap as DEF isn't going to affect performance or economy if he still has SCR in place.
Blocking the EGR will keep soot from loading up the turbo and out of the motor though to some extent. I've ran a blocker plate on my Duramax and this is where you need to tuner so you can fool the computer into thinking it's still working or whatever. If it doesn't detect the proper back pressure from the EGR, it will throw a CEL.

To add: All his gains are probably coming from the tune alone. From what I read (at least on the Wrangler so this could be different from his Ram), most of the EGR is after the filter to prevent excess soot loading anyway.

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Yea I’m most interested in whether this report relates to a gen3 3.0 and if so, who tuned the ECU.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently there is NO deletes/tuning on the new 3.0 motor. Good 'ole EPA cracked down recently and will fine anyone who produces these products. The companies used to get around EPA by saying "for off-road use only" and sold the products to anyone. Now the companies can't do anything. It's been said that a few of these places have "moved" overseas or into Canada, but EPA is threatening to stop the import also.
What year is his truck? No tunes for the newer 3.0 that I know of. Just the first gen motors.
Distilled water is probably just to keep the fluid level sensor happy. He's just being cheap as DEF isn't going to affect performance or economy if he still has SCR in place.
Blocking the EGR will keep soot from loading up the turbo and out of the motor though to some extent. I've ran a blocker plate on my Duramax and this is where you need to tuner so you can fool the computer into thinking it's still working or whatever. If it doesn't detect the proper back pressure from the EGR, it will throw a CEL.

To add: All his gains are probably coming from the tune alone. From what I read (at least on the Wrangler so this could be different from his Ram), most of the EGR is after the filter to prevent excess soot loading anyway.
Yea I’m most interested in whether this report relates to a gen3 3.0 and if so, who tuned the ECU.

I don't know the year. It does look new. It is at least a year old, that I have known him to have it. I will find out the next time I see him. I do know it is the 3.0 Diesel, Italian made?? He did say the company cannot do the exact tune anymore, because the Feds cracked down on them. He mentioned them having an eco-friendly tune instead.
As for the Distilled water, I didn't get into the why. I was just coming on my shift, and he was leaving his.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
You mean gen2 I think, correct?

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
If you are talking to me.....yup, should have said Gen2 3.0 motor.
Right. I knew you knew that and was just a typo. Just didn’t want anybody to be misled.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are the physical differences between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 ???

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
I'd be very interested in removing the emissions systems if the EPA would allow the sale of said products. Most of the issues I've read relating to the Ecodiesel engine (and other diesels) is around the emissions systems plugging up the engine. Let's hope the engineers figured out a way to improve the systems and make them more reliable in Gen 3.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I was close to ordering the GDE tune for my 2018 Trailhawk ecodiesel with that same motor. Then the EPA decided they were cheat devices and shut down the tuning company and the others doing similar work in the USA. Unfortunate, though I'd rather have cleaner air than the little more performance out of my vehicle.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I was close to ordering the GDE tune for my 2018 Trailhawk ecodiesel with that same motor. Then the EPA decided they were cheat devices and shut down the tuning company and the others doing similar work in the USA. Unfortunate, though I'd rather have cleaner air than the little more performance out of my vehicle.
Unfortunately the paradigm you speak of isn’t as simple as the ignorant media, politicians and environmentalists have led you to believe. Modern diesel emissions controllers trade reduced NOx emissions for increased CO2 emissions. It’s a rather ironic example of environmentalists calling for policies which increase CO2 production. The NOx savings are also compromised by reducing the lifespan of the vehicles and increasing replacement frequency which carries a hefty emissions price tag across all subtypes. We don’t have a rational discussion of emissions trade-offs in this country because of the systemic ignorance and occasional willful obfuscation of the problem by various stakeholders. These are also policies which rarely get a vote by your representatives because they have abdicated that power to a bunch of nameless, unelected, unaccountable, self-righteous bureaucrats at the EPA and CARB who come up with “rules” which carry the weight of law.
Sponsored