Bril

First Name
Bill TxRedRubi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392, 2024 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased the Springtail Solutions rear seat delete platform recently with the intention of using it to sleep in my Jeep on overlanding trips and store gear underneath. It's a very well made product and install was straight forward. The only issue I had was the space to access the storage below is really tight due to the bottom of the door seals so I started thinking about ways to make accessing the space below to store larger items that would not fit through the opening. At first I thought about adding an access hatch but determined this would most likely compromise the platform, I then though what if I hinged the platform so the whole thing swung up like a trunk lid. So I went about measuring and planning what would be required to achieve the desired result . The first step was building a heavy duty hinge assembly with steel bars to attach across the width of the platform and secure to the hinge to the Jeep. For this I purchased 2 heavy duty hinges and had a buddy of mine weld the hinges to the steel bars. The second task was making sure the platform would be secured to the 4 support brackets when closed. Normally these brackets are bolted to the platform so for this I added 4 guide pins to the platform to ensure proper alignment with the brackets when closed and added Houkiper pull latches to each bracket to secure the platform to the brackets. The next step was calculating the proper gas struts to support the platform when opening. For this I determined two 45lb 20 inch struts would do the trick. I finished things off by having the platform coated with bedliner and added several L track mounting points with removable tie down points to remove used as a sleeping platform. I also added two Lux lighting magnetic leds that hide underneath the brackets and are wired to the dome light. Here are some pics and a video walk through I put on YouTube.

Jeep Wrangler JL Modifications to the Springtail Solutions rear seat delete platform 20200516_163351

Jeep Wrangler JL Modifications to the Springtail Solutions rear seat delete platform 20200516_163429

Jeep Wrangler JL Modifications to the Springtail Solutions rear seat delete platform 20200516_163702

Jeep Wrangler JL Modifications to the Springtail Solutions rear seat delete platform 20200516_163726

Jeep Wrangler JL Modifications to the Springtail Solutions rear seat delete platform 20200520_201206

20200520_214537.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
That is very cool!

Doc

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Really nice, The hinges really work out well. How much did they charge for that non skid coating?

OP
OP
Bril

Bril

First Name
Bill TxRedRubi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Really nice, The hinges really work out well. How much did they charge for that non skid coating?
I had several things coated at the same time (Slipstream, Inner fenders) so I just got an overall cost which honestly I don't recall. That was so many Jeep upgrades ago :). Can't imagine it being too expensive given the simplicity to coat a single flat panel.

OP
OP
Bril

Bril

First Name
Bill TxRedRubi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Forgot I had posted this, A year and a half later and I have never put the rear seats back in. Really like this setup and have spent many nights on overlanding trips sleeping in the back. I add additional support to the outer edges when I plan on sleeping on the platform. All the storage underneath is perfect for tools, recover gear, power banks, and parts.
Jeep Wrangler JL Modifications to the Springtail Solutions rear seat delete platform 20210731_131712

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Guess it's time to wake this post up @Springtail. Would be nice to see this made for the 4xe. Mounting locations are easier and would mount to factory front seat brackets and rear seat stud bolts. GG seems to have one coming but 650+ seems like alot. Everything for Jeeps is $$$ though

Forgot I had posted this, A year and a half later and I have never put the rear seats back in. Really like this setup and have spent many nights on overlanding trips sleeping in the back. If batteries need to be accessed remove rear stud bokts and hinge it just like this!!. I add additional support to the outer edges when I plan on sleeping on the platform. All the storage underneath is perfect for tools, recover gear, power banks, and parts.
Jeep Wrangler JL Modifications to the Springtail Solutions rear seat delete platform 20210731_131712
Sponsored