Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Hey All!
Kevin here. Creating a build thread in hopes of capturing all the changes I'm going to do over the years. Just got my JLUR-XR in Granite Crystal, and I already have some mods purchased and planned!

Background: Bought my first Jeep a few years ago, a 2 door JK Sport. It had a Mopar 2" lift and 33s. I assumed it would be perfect for my hunting needs. After taking it on the trails, I got bit by the rock crawling bug. I named it Rocky (my wife has a competitor name Bullwinkle) made all sorts of mods, to include 4:88 gears and an E-Locker. Eventually I got to the point where I either needed to upgrade the axles to do more, or... upgrade!

Enter Rocky2! JLUR-XR with the premium soft top.

DISCLAIMER: This vehicle, although doubling as a trail rig, is primarily a hunting vehicle. I will be traveling a lot during the evening and early morning hours when there is little or no light. Therefore, additional lighting is pretty much a necessity. I've already been in plenty of situations with my JK where the 50", 12", and backup lights have all been useful. I also plan on trying to find solutions to store hunting equipment of all kinds inside the vehicle. Goal is to be able to go where no other hunter can go... and also tackle the Rubicon Trail someday!

Planned mods include:

Temporary to get 37s and better articulation, slightly higher ride height, and get rid of the rake
- 1.5" front coil spacer (installed 3/18/23)
- .75" rear coil spacer (installed 3/18/23)
- Fox 2.0s (installed 3/18/23)

To eventually be replaced by:
- 2.5" OR 3.5" MC or RK... leaning toward MC 3.5"

Mods installed:
- Smittybilt XO2 10K winch (installed 3/17/23)
- Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio (installed 9/1/22)
- Stubby Antenna (installed 8/27/22)
- Voswitch Dash Phone Mount (installed 8/27/22)
- Warn Elite stubby bumper (installed 3/17/23)
- Alien Shade (installed 10/1/22)
- Body Armor trail doors
- MC Undercloak, full plate system (ordered)

Future Mods Planned:
- Neoprene Seat Covers (Black and Red)
- Bestop Trek Top (haven't decided if I want to go Ultra or not)
- Rear Steel bumper, open to suggestions, I like low profile
- American Flag decals, because 'Murica
- Voswitch 8 gang, not sure which one yet. I like the idea of the one on the grab handle.

As we all know, that list will grow!

Hope to see you on the trails! But not in my hunting spots.... definitely not there...

Jeep Wrangler JL Mocopo's ROCKY2 Build and Journal! ROCKY22
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
RC 50" light bar and mounts installed! Almost ready for the hunting trip this weekend. Still need to troubleshoot a loose connection somewhere, but here's hoping that goes quick.

EDIT: it was an easy fix. I realized after a quick search of the light bar that it requires a 20 amp circuit. I had it on a 15 amp. Moved it over to AUX 1, working perfectly now. Also swapped out the 14 gauge wire harness I made with a 12 gauge.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mocopo's ROCKY2 Build and Journal! 20220829_211223

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I originally installed an aftermarket stubby bumper, and decided it was trash, so I reinstalled the factory steel bumper and pulled the end caps off for stubby mode. The stubby i purchased was the Red Rock Attack Stubby Winch Bumper. It will require spacers to fit my SB X2O 10K winch, it doesn't fir the stock LED fog lights, and I'd need to drill holes to get my 12" light bar mounted (last one isn't a deal breaker, the others were though).

I also installed my 12" RC light bar on the factory steely.... then found out afterward that it's not working. Something with the light. That's what I get for assuming it was still working after pulling it off my JK. Should have tested it first. I'll leave it for now as decoration.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mocopo's ROCKY2 Build and Journal! 20220831_214457

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Light bar has been deleted!

I just drove about 500 miles round trip on a scouting trip for a mid winter hunt, and the interstate drive there and back was TERRIBLE. My buddy and I couldn't even talk to each other the light bar was so loud.

It wasn't the whistle. I was expecting that. What was crazy was this loud wind tunnel noise. I think the light bar was redirecting air back down onto the Windshield, as well as affecting air flow over the soft top. The resulting sound was deafening. And for a 4 hour drive there and another 4 back.... nope! Delete.

On another note, I have a nice 50" light bar ima try and sell now...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I finally got the small light bar working. I'm a little disappointed that I won't get to use my 50", but the 12" does a decent job of lighting up the trail in front of the vehicle, so it will do for now. To get the 12" working, I discovered 2 things: first, there was a built in connector on the light that wasn't making a good connection, so I just bypassed it. Second, I was able to confirm that aux 3 has no power. It's possible I blew the fuse when I wired the large light bar to it, which requires a 20 Amp circuit apparently. Anyway, small light bar, which only requires 10 amps, now on aux 4, working good. Will fix aux 3 later.
20220908_174309.jpg

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Hi Kevin, enjoying the pics. Is this area up around Flagstaff?

-Steven
It is close! Southwest of flagstaff, close to Sedona just up on the rim. Hunting unit 6B. I never would have guessed there was Coues deer up there, but we found em! And I'm pretty sure I found my favorite place in AZ... the camping and wilderness up there was amazing! And all of crisscrossed with dirt roads to explore ;)

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
It is close! Southwest of flagstaff, close to Sedona just up on the rim. Hunting unit 6B. I never would have guessed there was Coues deer up there, but we found em! And I'm pretty sure I found my favorite place in AZ... the camping and wilderness up there was amazing! And all of crisscrossed with dirt roads to explore ;)
Thanks! I grew up in Phoenix and we still have property near Prescott. I need to check this area out when I'm out there. That camp spot looks👌🏻

-Steven

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Thanks! I grew up in Phoenix and we still have property near Prescott. I need to check this area out when I'm out there. That camp spot looks👌🏻

-Steven
Then you'll be glad to hear that was the "worst" of the three spots we camped at lol. If you travel as far south as possible, you can find some that are right on the rim, step out of your tent and see the canyons right in front of you!

Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Then you'll be glad to hear that was the "worst" of the three spots we camped at lol. If you travel as far south as possible, you can find some that are right on the rim, step out of your tent and see the canyons right in front of you!
Thanks brother...it's on the list. I'm planning my late Summer, early Fall trip(s) now. That being Moab, Colorado and I'm hoping we can make AZ this time.

-Steven

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Added some security. Rugged Ridge locking hood latches. I have a front trail cam, so the hood lock that goes in the grill wasn't an option.
20220909_125700.jpg

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Also permanently mounted the radio, but only using a temporary power and antenna solution for the time being. MXT275.

20220909_135424.jpg

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
@ExpeditionBuilds I promise I'm not copying... but I basically am lol. Full story:
I ordered my granite crystal JLUR in March, and I knew I wanted 2 things for decals... red accents and American flags. I searched around and found these ones from LBDesignWorks. Loved them instantly, sent the link to my parents to show them. I also loved the hood decal of the same flag design. I joined the forums in May, saw your JLUR and thought "well crap, it's already been done!" I like to be unique if possible lol. Started looking around for different ones. Fast forward to last week, it's my birthday, and my parents get me the vent decals that i sent them the link for months ago... And here we are! And now I don't care, I'm getting that hood decal too! I'll just chalk it up to you having great taste! 😉

For what it's worth, I only plan on powder coating the beauty rings red, not make the entire wheel red lol

20220916_182444.jpg

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
@ExpeditionBuilds I promise I'm not copying... but I basically am lol. Full story:
I ordered my granite crystal JLUR in March, and I knew I wanted 2 things for decals... red accents and American flags. I searched around and found these ones from LBDesignWorks. Loved them instantly, sent the link to my parents to show them. I also loved the hood decal of the same flag design. I joined the forums in May, saw your JLUR and thought "well crap, it's already been done!" I like to be unique if possible lol. Started looking around for different ones. Fast forward to last week, it's my birthday, and my parents get me the vent decals that i sent them the link for months ago... And here we are! And now I don't care, I'm getting that hood decal too! I'll just chalk it up to you having great taste! 😉

For what it's worth, I only plan on powder coating the beauty rings red, not make the entire wheel red lol

Jeep Wrangler JL Mocopo's ROCKY2 Build and Journal! 20220916_182444
I love it! :like:

-Steven
Sponsored