Moab without adding skid plates?

NAZJeeper

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK
Here's a dumb question - what skid plates does a stock Jeep (say my Sahara Altitude) already come with stock? And which ones should be added - if you were going to add any?
Sponsored

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Here's a dumb question - what skid plates does a stock Jeep (say my Sahara Altitude) already come with stock? And which ones should be added - if you were going to add any?
Not dumb at all. I had to hunt around to find an image of the stock setup, which is how I discovered--after I had it for a while--that mine was missing the transmission skid as delivered new from the dealer...
What to add? For me, the RH4x4 system gives peace of mind. Tho I'm certainly more an overlander than full-out rockcrawler, I've scraped the RH aluminum in a few places...

JLU_below.jpg

NAZJeeper

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK
Not dumb at all. I had to hunt around to find an image of the stock setup, which is how I discovered--after I had it for a while--that mine was missing the transmission skid as delivered new from the dealer...
What to add? For me, the RH4x4 system gives peace of mind. Tho I'm certainly more an overlander than full-out rockcrawler, I've scraped the RH aluminum in a few places...

Jeep Wrangler JL Moab without adding skid plates? JLU_below
Thanks, great picture! So stock there are only 3 plates? The Gas tank, Transfer case and Front skids? Seems like they would add a few more just for fun.....

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Interesting to hear your experience. After some first use, the OEM skids on mine started to seem a bit skimpy; the RH4x4 system gives me some peace of mind. Maybe it's mostly in my head...
Depends on your usage and comfort level. I usually have my kids with me, so Iā€™m not doing hardcore trails. If so, Iā€™d probably add some extra protection.
Although Iā€™m in the ā€œminimal skidsā€ camp. They add weight, doing maintenance is a pain, and harder to detect leaks and issues. I know some local hardcore guys that run stock skids only. (They do have big lifts and huge tires).

But if it gives you peace of mind, thereā€™s nothing else that will make up for that. Iā€™d hate to be way out in the backcountry with a cranked oil pan šŸ˜…

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Iā€™m wondering if there are any trails in Moab that I can run without skid plates.

Iā€™m running a 2ā€ Mopar lift on my 2021 JLUR and 37x13.50r20 mud grapplers. The lift has settled a little and I also run on the inside of the rear wheel well plastic.

I donā€™t want to add any lift st this point and donā€™t mind a little rubbing at good flex. What I donā€™t want to happen is damage from the trail, in the event of not having some protection underneath.
It's all in the trail rating. Strongly suggest you avoid7+ rated trails.

I have Moabed in my 2006 Rubicon LJ Box Stock and not a problem...

Jeep Wrangler JL Moab without adding skid plates? 17082008034

Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Thanks, great picture! So stock there are only 3 plates? The Gas tank, Transfer case and Front skids? Seems like they would add a few more just for fun.....
A lot of people recommend at the very least add an engine/transmission skid. I agree.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Correct, I believe (even tho mine only had 2 šŸ™„).

Joe's_Roxy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Quality Manager
I wheeled in the Black Hills, Big Horn Mts., and Moab over the last few years with my stock Rubicon and was glad for the stock skids. Since then, I have added a 2" Mopar lift, engine skid, differential skids, and rear LCA skids. Should be much better at getting over obstacles now...with less worry.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Depends on your usage and comfort level. I usually have my kids with me, so Iā€™m not doing hardcore trails. If so, Iā€™d probably add some extra protection.
Although Iā€™m in the ā€œminimal skidsā€ camp. They add weight, doing maintenance is a pain, and harder to detect leaks and issues. I know some local hardcore guys that run stock skids only. (They do have big lifts and huge tires).

But if it gives you peace of mind, thereā€™s nothing else that will make up for that. Iā€™d hate to be way out in the backcountry with a cranked oil pan šŸ˜…
Sorta true about maintenance, tho aluminum isn't too bad to handle.
A couple days ago I had to stuff some more heat wrap between resonator and skid. Loosening the main pan bolts drained out a little Mojave River water from an Afton Canyon trip a few weeks ago!

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
You can run 90% of the trails n Moab with stock skids on your JLUR. Of course you have to be aware of how you drive and avoid some things.

I always tell people run shit over with a tire. All the expensive stuff is down the middle of the Jeep.
Thank you brother

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Oh so exciting. It will be hot, I mean REALLY HOT. Take plenty of water and ice, hats, sunscreen, make sure your A/C is working. Have fun.
Yes. We are going prepared. Been planning for months. Part of 25th Wedding Anniversary trip. Thanks for the points. Already items in our list.

AndyMcConnell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR, 2018 Entegra Insignia 44R
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m wondering if there are any trails in Moab that I can run without skid plates.

Iā€™m running a 2ā€ Mopar lift on my 2021 JLUR and 37x13.50r20 mud grapplers. The lift has settled a little and I also run on the inside of the rear wheel well plastic.

I donā€™t want to add any lift st this point and donā€™t mind a little rubbing at good flex. What I donā€™t want to happen is damage from the trail, in the event of not having some protection underneath.

Adjustable bump stops for the rubbing, and I ran all sorts of everything at Moab with Mopar lift and both 35s and 37s, so you will be fine. I would do the bump stops to keep the tires as clear as possible from hitting things when flexing out.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

It's all in the trail rating. Strongly suggest you avoid7+ rated trails.

I have Moabed in my 2006 Rubicon LJ Box Stock and not a problem...

Jeep Wrangler JL Moab without adding skid plates? 17082008034
Yepā€¦ 6 and under, no big deal. Spotter on the tough ledges if you are inexperienced.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Youā€™ll be fine, Iā€™ve run plenty of 4,5,6 rated trails in Moab with my JLURXR in stock form, it d great. Some undercarriage contact at times, from dumb mistakes, but nothing serious and stock skids are better than most think.

Iā€™ve recently run:

1. Porcupine rim (5) which is an excellent 3-4 hour trip, that I recommend.

2. FinsNThings (4) doable in a stock JL sport IMO. your rig wonā€™t even know itā€™s off-road there.

3. 7 mile rim (4). Doable in a stock Sport, but still a lot of fun, and super scenic. Some tough optional lines/obstacles that are in the realm of a 6 rated trail.

4. Hells Revenge (6), everyone does this one. I think itā€™s pretty boring.

5. Gold Bar Rim (6), thereā€™s one BIG waterfall that a lot of Jeeps couldnā€™t get up. Itā€™s not optional. The rest of the trail is on a 4-5 rated level.

Just roll in with your current setup and donā€™t be wreckless and youā€™ll do good. 7 and higher trails are where the added armor becomes a lot more important. Anything 6 and under and you should do fine unless you drive stupid or donā€™t know what youā€™re doing.
Sponsored