Moab without adding skid plates?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I’m wondering if there are any trails in Moab that I can run without skid plates.

I’m running a 2” Mopar lift on my 2021 JLUR and 37x13.50r20 mud grapplers. The lift has settled a little and I also run on the inside of the rear wheel well plastic.

I don’t want to add any lift st this point and don’t mind a little rubbing at good flex. What I don’t want to happen is damage from the trail, in the event of not having some protection underneath.
Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Your Rubi with those 37s will handle Moab just fine w/o any additional skid plates. Just be sure to be reasonable in picking your line of approach. A spotter will make running the rough spots a whole lot better.

Moab is a real adventure.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Your Rubi with those 37s will handle Moab just fine w/o any additional skid plates. Just be sure to be reasonable in picking your line of approach. A spotter will make running the rough spots a whole lot better.

Moab is a real adventure.

Enjoy!
Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it

libtekguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I second this. I've been to Moab several times with several different builds. You'll do just fine without skids on almost all of the trails. Some trails will have sections where skids would be handy, but taking your time and having a spotter will get you through just fine.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Maybe someone else can confirm this, but i've been told that any trail rated up to a 6 is easily doable by a vehicle with your setup. Poison Spider, Top of the World, and those types of trails. Rated 7 and higher is where armor is going to be more of a requirement.

Disclaimer: I've been on some Moab trails, but not in a Jeep. Trip planned for this Fall.

Sponsored

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Last edited:

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Maybe someone else can confirm this, but i've been told that any trail rated up to a 6 is easily doable by a vehicle with your setup. Poison Spider, Top of the World, and those types of trails. Rated 7 and higher is where armor is going to be more of a requirement.

Disclaimer: I've been on some Moab trails, but not in a Jeep. Trip planned for this Fall.
Yes - exactly - get to know the trails by their rating and work your way up. Most 5s could likely be done Rubicon stock - 7s and up I agree it’s probably fair to say there will likely be some damage to even highly modified vehicles.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yep, all the times I’ve been to Moab and never had any additional undercarriage protection. It’s to the point that I don’t feel like I will ever add any

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
Yep, agree with everyone else here, I barely touched my skids, and the only times I did was on the hardest lines that had medium to easy bypasses to choose from.

If you have a diesel, I would say you will need a DEF Tank skid. My Metalcloak DEF tank skid took an absolute beating coming down from ledges/waterfalls after knocking out 7 badge trails in Moab.

Sponsored

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I was just there last week with a stock JLUR, down to 33” tires. Did Hells Revenge (rated 6). Scraped a little but Rubi’s already have decent skids. I wanted to do Top of the World but didn’t have time.

People think you need 6” and 40’s on 1 tons to do Moab. Stock Jeeps are more capable than people think.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Just pick good lines and go slow. Your setup is more than able to do a lot of the trails.
Sponsored