Moab, Overland and 3.0L diesel decals/badges found

mrnoodley

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 JK 18 JL (ordered)
I was looking in Star Parts, which is the dealer parts department catalog software, saw the '18 JL was in the system now and decided to clock through and see if there was anything interesting.

Besides some technical stuff I was curious about, I didn't see anything that we didn't already hear about from Jeep officially until I got down to the decals and badges.

In that section, I saw "MOAB" hood decals and an "Overland" badge (photos attached). I haven't heard anything about either of these yet, could be some future, not yet announced trim levels or special packages.

Admin Note:

The Overland badge is a non-US part (glimpsed in these spy photos) which is no surprises since as we've reported the Overland JL will be export-only.

The MOAB hood decal is new and does not show up for either the 2017 or 2018 JK.

badges.jpg

decals.jpg
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I was looking in Star Parts, which is the dealer parts department catalog software, saw the '18 JL was in the system now and decided to clock through and see if there was anything interesting.

Besides some technical stuff I was curious about, I didn't see anything that we didn't already hear about from Jeep officially until I got down to the decals and badges.

In that section, I saw "MOAB" hood decals and an "Overland" badge (photos attached). I haven't heard anything about either of these yet, could be some future, not yet announced trim levels or special packages.
Overland is the export version of the Sahara. Moab is anyone's guess.

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
This Jeep had a Mopar "Moab" body decal on it. Maybe there is a hood decal to match...

IMG_0943.JPG

Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Overland is the export version of the Sahara.
Its more than simply a Sahara. Its more upscale. But indeed, reserved just for export.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
WranglerJLLogo.jpg

I am not a fan of the new Wrangler nameplate. I get that it needs to be modernized, but it looks like someone hit up a free font site and just slapped it together. Likewise, if you look at the vectored versions of it included in the PDF manuals, the letter heights are slightly off and don't line up properly. The revised Rubicon hood lettering, which is modified from the Recon and the Hard Rock before it, is even worse. It's very sloppy work.

I know, this is absolutely goofy and nitpicky and the average person isn't going to care whatsoever, but as someone who works in graphic design and marketing, I deal with typography quite a bit and little details like that are a big deal, especially if you plan on using it for an entire decade.

I would have not had such harsh kerning, made the letters slightly heavier, and kept the W the same height as the rest. This would retain the look and feel of the design from the JK, but also the TJ and YJ before it. Obviously, something like this takes more than the 10 minutes I spent here, but here's my quick mockup:

SpanksJLLogo.jpg

Alright. I'm done being a dork. For now.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SeaJay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5, 1976 CJ5, 1999 TJ, 2012 JK
Not goofy at all dude... looking at them both, I dig yours more. It's the small details that make the overall package shine. From toasters to jeeps... doesn't matter. It's the details that count.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
WranglerJLLogo.jpg

I am not a fan of the new Wrangler nameplate. I get that it needs to be modernized, but it looks like someone hit up a free font site and just slapped it together. Likewise, if you look at the vectored versions of it included in the PDF manuals, the letter heights are slightly off and don't line up properly. The revised Rubicon hood lettering, which is modified from the Recon and the Hard Rock before it, is even worse. It's very sloppy work.

I know, this is absolutely goofy and nitpicky and the average person isn't going to care whatsoever, but as someone who works in graphic design and marketing, I deal with typography quite a bit and little details like that are a big deal, especially if you plan on using it for an entire decade.

I would have not had such harsh kerning, made the letters slightly heavier, and kept the W the same height as the rest. This would retain the look and feel of the design from the JK, but also the TJ and YJ before it. Obviously, something like this takes more than the 10 minutes I spent here, but here's my quick mockup:

SpanksJLLogo.jpg

Alright. I'm done being a dork. For now.
I dunno. I think the rugged looking type set is intentional.