Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Part two of the Ouray days :
4e873289-fb29-47b3-983d-bd5e8af4bbe9.JPG
Which trail was this? I’m looking forward to doing the trails in Ouray. Very pretty out there I’m sure.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hans

Hans

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys 2.0 4D
Which trail was this? I’m looking forward to doing the trails in Ouray. Very pretty out there I’m sure.
It is on the road when you go to the Yankee Boy Basin .
Leave Ouray , go south and after 1 mile or so , you go right on the 361 route . After 4 or 5 miles you pass this overhang . If you follow this route you arrive at Yankee Boy Basin .

A mile or so after this overhang , you can go left to the Imogene Pass .

Another mile further you can go left to the Governor Basin trail .

You see , I did my homework :) :)

The picture is taken coming down hill .
When you go up hill , the rock is on the passenger side .

It is indeed very, very pretty around Ouray , Telluride and Silverton !!!
We loved it !!!

BelAir2Corolla

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JGC, 2011 JGC
Enjoy your journey, you are likely now just getting to the mountains. The next couple of weeks will be amazing western US scenery for you!
Ridgeway Jeeper....hoping you can answer a question: I am spending Saturday and Sunday in Moab, and need to be back in Denver Monday evening. Is it possible to leave Moab 5-6 am Monday and run either Orphir Pass or Imogene Pass and still make it to Denver by 6/7 pm?

OP
OP
Hans

Hans

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys 2.0 4D
Ridgeway Jeeper....hoping you can answer a question: I am spending Saturday and Sunday in Moab, and need to be back in Denver Monday evening. Is it possible to leave Moab 5-6 am Monday and run either Orphir Pass or Imogene Pass and still make it to Denver by 6/7 pm?
Some facts .... Moab -> Ouray -> Denver on normal roads is minimum 09 hours and 7 minutes. It is 541 miles with the exit to Ouray included but no stops for gas or food included. ( google maps told me that ;) )
That leaves you about 4 to max 5 hours to do one of the trails. ( air down and air up not included ). I don't think it is doable in your timeframe.

Leave earlier or arrive later , maybe .

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Yes, I think that is possible. Moab to Telluride or Ophir 3 hours, Ophir can be enjoyed in 2 hours, 30 mins back to Ouray and about 6 to Denver. Imogene is a much longer more difficult (but rewarding) trail that is 3 hours without taking in the sights. But if you are in Telluride by 8 am, you can be in Ouray by noon and Denver by 6pm

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Some facts .... Moab -> Ouray -> Denver on normal roads is minimum 09 hours and 7 minutes. It is 541 miles with the exit to Ouray included but no stops for gas or food included. ( google maps told me that ;) )
That leaves you about 4 to max 5 hours to do one of the trails. ( air down and air up not included ). I don't think it is doable in your timeframe.

Leave earlier or arrive later , maybe .
I agree with the roughly 9 hours road time but you can definitely do Ophir pass west to east in well under 3 hours. Not trying to knock your newbie status to trail running but most of Ophir is like a highway for locals. The only slow section is the climb (or descent on your trip) on the shelf road. In fact they had to tow a delivery truck off Ophir the other week because he thought he would use it as a short cut. Of course, it didn't really work out quite like that for him... Allowing 4 hrs for Imogene is probably wise...

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
normally it’s about 9 hours (depending on where you are going in Denver) of travel plus the trail of about 2-3 hours. But I have read that US-50 has road construction on it now that is going slow you up on the most direct route….. I don’t know current status but here is a write up:

https://www.codot.gov/news/2021/april-2021/us50-little-blue-creek-detours

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
normally it’s about 9 hours (depending on where you are going in Denver) of travel plus the trail of about 2-3 hours. But I have read that CO-50 has road construction on it now that is going slow you up on the most direct route….. I don’t know current status but here is a write up:

https://www.codot.gov/news/2021/april-2021/us50-little-blue-creek-detours
I wouldn't take 50, I would drive to Grand Junction and take I-70. Both routes are incredibly scenic despite one being interstate. In all the years have gone between here and Denver I found it is a wash on which route you take time wise

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I wouldn't take 50, I would drive to Grand Junction and take I-70. Both routes are incredibly scenic despite one being interstate. In all the years have gone between here and Denver I found it is a wash on which route you take time wise
Fair point.

But we should then also tell @BelAir2Corolla that I-70 through Glenwood Springs is expeiencing some mudslides from last year’s fires. I think that I-70 has been closed for several hours 2-3 times in the last couple of weeks. While it’s far more probable that he will make it through the canyon without issue than have an issue, if it is utterly critical that he make Denver by 6/7pm, there is a small risk of significant delay on I-70 (especially if there has been some rain)

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Fair point.

But we should then also tell @BelAir2Corolla that I-70 through Glenwood Springs is expeiencing some mudslides from last year’s fires. I think that I-70 has been closed for several hours 2-3 times in the last couple of weeks. While it’s far more probable that he will make it through the canyon without issue than have an issue, if it is utterly critical that he make Denver by 6/7pm, there is a small risk of significant delay on I-70 (especially if there has been some rain)
The canyon on Hwy 50 is hit and miss. On the weekend I would recommend that route because they open it up. On a Monday you could very well run into delays. Thanks for posting the info link, even though I didn't read it, anybody going that way should.

My favorite CO road check is www.cotrip.org which will have up to date delays and closures.

Sponsored

BelAir2Corolla

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JGC, 2011 JGC
The canyon on Hwy 50 is hit and miss. On the weekend I would recommend that route because they open it up. On a Monday you could very well run into delays. Thanks for posting the info link, even though I didn't read it, anybody going that way should.

My favorite CO road check is www.cotrip.org which will have up to date delays and closures.
Thank you both for the input! I'll likely leave Moab around 5 am, should allow plenty of time for all stages and arrival into Denver anytime Monday evening is fine. Looking forward to the trip!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If you decide to do Black Bear Pass you might think twice about it, make sure you have plenty of toilet tissue with you. I've ridden my dual spot motorcycles over most of those that you mentioned, my sister lived in Telluride for 30 years, I've been there may times.

trainman
I did not find black bear pass difficult at all. There was one off chamber spot and the rest was like driving on a bad dirt road. I think it can be done in 2wd.

Note, I am not afraid of hight. If hight bother you......well get ready for some anxiety.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I did not find black bear pass difficult at all. There was one off chamber spot and the rest was like driving on a bad dirt road. I think it can be done in 2wd.

Note, I am not afraid of hight. If hight bother you......well get ready for some anxiety.
I agree, not a technically challenging trail but do not underestimate how dangerous it can be. Dodge truck on its side yesterday at the top. Last year a Jeep rolled down most of the switchbacks. Be careful doing it in the afternoon during monsoon season (now) because slides are common.

We usually just go to the wildflower laden section before the big switchbacks and hang out. We generally just return to Hwy 550 because I have no desire to go into Telluride anyway.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I agree, not a technically challenging trail but do not underestimate how dangerous it can be. Dodge truck on its side yesterday at the top. Last year a Jeep rolled down most of the switchbacks. Be careful doing it in the afternoon during monsoon season (now) because slides are common.

We usually just go to the wildflower laden section before the big switchbacks and hang out. We generally just return to Hwy 550 because I have no desire to go into Telluride anyway.
The off chamber spot is where a lot of vehicles flip on their side. The danger is very real. I tell people, if you want to take a picture, come to a full stop and put your vehicle in park before fucking with your phone/camera. Black Bear pass is a trail where success or failed is determined by inches at times.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I’m in Moab currently and have all day tomorrow for trails. What do you recommend based on your trip?
Sponsored